What's new

Speick Shave Stick

Item Description

I purchased this stick when I fell in love with Tabac and went on a tear buying tallow-based soaps all over the place.

The price is around seven USD, a real bargain considering the life this hard stick provides.

Quality is great, this stick is tallow based which puts it head and shoulders above most soaps imo (yes, I'm a bit of a tallow snob).

The scent is a nice, clean, barbershop type. I'm not that familiar with other Speick products but understand that's the Speick scent in a nutshell.

Lather is excellent, what one would expect from a tallow soap. Thick, slick, nice cushion. I face lather with the B&B Essential brush. I get great results.

Efficacy highly rated. The soap does what it should do: lathers up, smells nice, lasts long, and has a nice little plastic grip at the end.

Moisturizing: maybe not as good as some of the prime players, but comes in at nearly half the price of, say, the Valobra stick.

A fine shave stick.

Review discussion thread here.

Latest reviews

Pros: Love the scent, Love the lather!
Cons: Wish it came in a tub or puck
I must admit, I bought this sheerly on impulse. I wanted to try a stick, but I had tried Arko from a friend and almost retched (My apologies to all those who love it, but its a love-it-or-hate-it smell). The price was right, so I tacked it on with a brush and some aftershave. When I got here, I remember thinking, "I paid 5 bucks for this dinky little thing?". I was also kind of curious as to how I would go about using it; it's a stick, but it's as hard as most triple-milled pucks. I grated it into an old pomade tin and crushed it in. I must say, I love the scent- earthy, piney, spicey, and a touch medicinal. Like Arko, either you love it or hate it, and I love it. I gave it a test run with my new VDH badger, and my was I impressed! How the hell can that much lather come out of that little soap? The shave was excellent. Very cushy and protective. Not very moisturizing, but very soothing nonetheless- how that is, I have no idea. It started to dry a little on my second pass, but for the first time using it, not bad! I've used it since, and my is it thirsty! I've yet to make a noticeable dent in my frankenpuck- I can still see the indents from the shot glass I used to press it in. Will definitely buy again! Great value for the money! Now if only it came in a puck...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Lather scent
Cons: Packaging
I personally like the scent of this product, but I could see where others may not. it's scent is very unique. Speick applies well and produces a nice lather. I don't find it particularly moisturizing and I would like to see it packaged in a resealable plastic tube, like Lea or LaToja.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Shave Stick, easy to use, great lather
Cons: Price
This is a product that my opinion changed over the years. I started using the Speick Shave sticks a while back and did not like the scent. I got rid of the stick and that was it. Later on, I was part of the Australian Traveling Box and David (djh) was very kind to offer a bunch of European products so we can try them. The Speick Shave Stick was part of the lot. I tried it again there and, surprisingly, I like it.

My biggest complaint in the past was the scent. 3 years went by and I like it again. Right there, it proves that if you dislike a product or are 50/50 on the scent, you could still enjoy it at one stage. It doesn't mean that you will like it but there's a chance. I was bummed out that I didn't like Speick at first since I knew it had tallow. The stick is producing a lot of lather easily.

It took me a few days to get the ratio product/water right but then, it was great. The effectiveness of this product is remarkable. This product is a no brainer when it comes to shaving. The only thing that I could say is that I did not really see a difference between this one and the Euro Palmolive performance. This is something that will be discussed in the future but not now.

I gave the Speick a con on the price. It's not that bad but then, you can get a bunch of products that works as well for cheaper. I don't think that you should overlook this product based on that. If you can afford it, grab it!

All this to say that if you are a newcomer to shave sticks or a veteran, this one is well worth trying. I don't think that I want to ever go down to 1 product in my rotation but I do not think this one would do it. I find that the Euro Palmolive or Wilkinson Sword stick (blue, not the blue bowl) are better. As always, YMMV.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)