What's new

Kai Stainless

Item Description

Out of Japan comes a DE blade not a Feather.

I received these as part of a sampler pack from poster dridiot (Jason).

The packaging, as can be seen, is minimal on marketing. The blades themselves come wrapped in plain paper and the blade has no marking at all.

From my research on this company, Kai (or this division) makes surgical blades. One of their areas is 'blade prep', for which they offer disposable razors. This leads me to believe the company either offers these blades for surgical prep with a DE, or they supply these blades to other companies and don't really put a marketing effort behind them for themselves.

Price: about 40 cents per blade. Does one get what one pays for?

Quality: in my opinion, yes. These are top-notch sharp, smooth blades.

Sharpness: Very sharp, up there with Feathers or Swedes.

Longevity: I haven't pushed these past four shaves; I don't want to risk irritation to find out how long they'd last. But at the end of the fourth shave they are still cutting, not pulling.

Smoothness of shave: can't beat it. I use them in a Slant 39C. No pulling, no weepers, just BBS in three to four passes with no irritation whatsoever.

Packaging: While not long on flash, they have no glue on the paper and I find that a plus. The box is cardboard with no disposal capability.

While these are in the pricing tier with Swedes and Feathers, they are not marketed for mass consumption. They will probably not be anyone's daily blade for this reason; they're clearly harder to come by. I urge those who swear by the above to try these in a comparison test with the top end 'sharpies' and see what you think.

In my opinion, you would not find them lacking vs. the most highly regarded DE blades available.

Discussion thread here

Latest reviews

Pros: Extremely sharp blade
Also very smooth
Great longevity
Consistent
Cons: Most expensive blade
One of the best blades I have ever used. The Kai's are consistently sharper and smoother than any other de blade. I can use it in a number of razors from open comb to closed comb, adjustables whether vintage or modern and I get the same results every time. I suffer from extremely sensitive skin, so max passes for me would be 2 and a quick buff, BBS every time. Kai is the only blade that can perform that for me. Then, as a bonus I get 2 maybe 3 good shaves out of any other de blade. With the Kai I have gotten 6 great shaves without any tugging or pulling from them. Consistently time after time. They are the only blades I use in any of my de's period. Yes I might pay more for them, but worth every penny in my estimation. I think my face is worth it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: quality, sharpness, smoothness, longevity
Cons: price
Price: US$3.50 for five blades--US$0.70 per blade
Quality: 9 Short, consistent bevels and edges. Each bevel has a repeating pattern with a scalloped appearance. (The blades are not not marked, which does not affect the quality, but they are the first such blades I have encountered).
Sharpness: 9 As sharp as Feather New Hi-Stainless. It seemed at first the blade was not cutting at all. Quite the opposite in reality.
Longevity: 10 These blades lasted a full week for me.
Smoothness of Shave: 10 Perhaps the smoothest shave of any blade I've used.
Packaging: 7 Cardboard box of 5 single-wrapped blades without glue.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharpness balance with smoothness; Durability
Cons: Would love 10% more sharpness
I have been alternating between these and Feathers. The Kai blades are more consistent and last 2x longer. The Feather can be dangerous when I'm not paying attention. These are plenty sharp - they are no dull dud. I think the smoothness and irritation are a little better than the Feather.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)