What's new

Speick Shave Stick

Pros: Love the scent, Love the lather!
Cons: Wish it came in a tub or puck
I must admit, I bought this sheerly on impulse. I wanted to try a stick, but I had tried Arko from a friend and almost retched (My apologies to all those who love it, but its a love-it-or-hate-it smell). The price was right, so I tacked it on with a brush and some aftershave. When I got here, I remember thinking, "I paid 5 bucks for this dinky little thing?". I was also kind of curious as to how I would go about using it; it's a stick, but it's as hard as most triple-milled pucks. I grated it into an old pomade tin and crushed it in. I must say, I love the scent- earthy, piney, spicey, and a touch medicinal. Like Arko, either you love it or hate it, and I love it. I gave it a test run with my new VDH badger, and my was I impressed! How the hell can that much lather come out of that little soap? The shave was excellent. Very cushy and protective. Not very moisturizing, but very soothing nonetheless- how that is, I have no idea. It started to dry a little on my second pass, but for the first time using it, not bad! I've used it since, and my is it thirsty! I've yet to make a noticeable dent in my frankenpuck- I can still see the indents from the shot glass I used to press it in. Will definitely buy again! Great value for the money! Now if only it came in a puck...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Lather scent
Cons: Packaging
I personally like the scent of this product, but I could see where others may not. it's scent is very unique. Speick applies well and produces a nice lather. I don't find it particularly moisturizing and I would like to see it packaged in a resealable plastic tube, like Lea or LaToja.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Shave Stick, easy to use, great lather
Cons: Price
This is a product that my opinion changed over the years. I started using the Speick Shave sticks a while back and did not like the scent. I got rid of the stick and that was it. Later on, I was part of the Australian Traveling Box and David (djh) was very kind to offer a bunch of European products so we can try them. The Speick Shave Stick was part of the lot. I tried it again there and, surprisingly, I like it.

My biggest complaint in the past was the scent. 3 years went by and I like it again. Right there, it proves that if you dislike a product or are 50/50 on the scent, you could still enjoy it at one stage. It doesn't mean that you will like it but there's a chance. I was bummed out that I didn't like Speick at first since I knew it had tallow. The stick is producing a lot of lather easily.

It took me a few days to get the ratio product/water right but then, it was great. The effectiveness of this product is remarkable. This product is a no brainer when it comes to shaving. The only thing that I could say is that I did not really see a difference between this one and the Euro Palmolive performance. This is something that will be discussed in the future but not now.

I gave the Speick a con on the price. It's not that bad but then, you can get a bunch of products that works as well for cheaper. I don't think that you should overlook this product based on that. If you can afford it, grab it!

All this to say that if you are a newcomer to shave sticks or a veteran, this one is well worth trying. I don't think that I want to ever go down to 1 product in my rotation but I do not think this one would do it. I find that the Euro Palmolive or Wilkinson Sword stick (blue, not the blue bowl) are better. As always, YMMV.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: One of the best soap sticks on the market
I commonly buy Speick when visiying Germany. This stick excels in all departments, simply one of the best available on the market! I always have a stock of Speick.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, thick lather
Cons: None
I cliced it and pressed it into the mug. Quite remarkable lather.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
First off I let me say that Speick cream is my hands down favourite value pick of any cream AND soap. And it's in my top 5 in any price range for creams as well. So I was eagerly aniticpating the arrival of my Speick shave stick. At $8.50 for a smaller than average stick I can't say this rates as strongly in the value category, but it's a terrific soap overall (although not quite as impressive IMHO as the cream.)

Price:
I gave this a 7 because it's at $8.50 it's not expensive for a good shave stick but it's not cheap either.

Quality:
This is where I had to ding this product, mainly because of the cheap packaging. Although it came smartly packaged in the classic Speick box, I was surprised to find that the stick didn't have a cap on it; it has a plastic base but the soap itself is merely wrapped in thin foil. A big part of the experience for me with any soap or cream is the scent and I think all products should have a means to seal in freshness so the scent doesn't dissipate any faster than it has to. Now I'm sure some would say that some soaps are best left to air dry but I'd at least like the option to cap mine once it's dried. A plastic baggy just doesn't do it for me. My La Toja shave stick, which is at least as good a product or better, is cheaper and bigger, has a plastic cap.

Scent:
Where the cream gets a 10 from me in the scent department - I love its clean, slightly medicinal plant-based scent, the soap isn't quite up to snuff. And it seems they've added a bit of cinnamon to the stick (in fact the colour is sort of pale cinnamon) which, so far hasn't struck me as an improvement.

Lather:
This is where the stick, like the cream shines. This thing lathers easily and abundantly. It remains moist, dense and shiny, which to me is a hallmark of a good product.

Efficacy:
Based on only a couple of shaves, I'd have to say this is another fine product from Speick. The lathers has very good cushion and glide. The cream is even better - but not by much.

Moisturizing:
Very nice. My skin feels soft and balanced after using this product. It definitely feels like a good product to use on your face - and I have sensitive skin.

All in all Speick soap is a rock solid product, with typically fantastic lather. If you think you'd like a hint of cinnamon in a shave soap - this is a must try. But for me, I just can't say it's an outstanding product in a very competitive landscape, like its cream counterpart.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: latherability, quality
B&B member djh ( David) kindly sent me a stick of this. I think this works better than my Euro Palmolive. A top notch product that should be in everyone's arsenal.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Speick is definitely a keeper in my den after having used it for a bit now. It lathers great and can take a ton of water, which effectively results in a very slick lather.

Performance is top notch and it has become my shave stick of choice. Excellent overall value for a soap that will perform every bit as good as AOS or the more expensive soaps.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I recently received a stick of this as part of a PIF.

I have now been using it for basically the last week, and this soap is amazing, especially when you consider the cost!

30 seconds of loading the stick on my face, gives me enough lather for 4 passes and touch ups if I were so inclined.

The scent whilst strong when smelling the stick, actually mellows quite a bit when lathered, to the point where I could barely smell it on my face.

The performance on this soap is great, I would compare it to the likes of Arko, where you get loads of great lather with minimal effort. It left my face feeling refreshed, and I didn't need to use ASB, as I had no irritation, and it was quite moisturizing as it was. The razor had plenty of glide, but there was also enough cushion there to protect my face, but not too much that I couldn't get a close shave.

IMHO this soap performs just as well, if not better than some high priced soaps! I cant recommend it enough! If you get the chance, try it! You wont regret it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Fantastic soap. It is not that cheap on a $/gram basis compared to other soaps but for something this high quality, I definitely put Speick SS in the luxury category!

It is very easy to generate a thick and slick lather. It provides fantastic cushion against the blade.

It will really care for your skin, my face always feels great after a Speick shave.

The scent is just something to experience...you HAVE to try this stick :thumbup:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Spieck is probably my second favorite shaving soap (after Cella). This little stick packs a big punch in terms of quality and scent.

Price - 8 : It's cheap and will last a long time as it is a hard-milled soap. A fair price for what you get but not necessarily a bargain.

Quality - 9 : My favorite shave stick and a fantastic all-around soap. I don't ever anticipate not having some sitting in my cabinet.

Scent - 10 : Possibly my favorite thing about the soap. Is it spicy? Is it citrus? I can't describe it but it smells fantastic and totally unique. Great clean, classic scent.

Lather - 10 : Spieck lathers effortlessly. It's great for face lathering or milled into a container.

Efficacy - 9 : Slicker and more protective than Tabac. I much prefer this soap to its German counterpart.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
This stick became one of my favorite soaps the first time I used it. I milled it into my clay mug using a Micro-Plane, and I much prefer this configuration to the stick.

Price: $5.50 at Merz Apothecary in Chicago. In an Art of Shaving world, this is a godsend.

Quality: A world-class, no-frills, tallow-based shaving soap in simple, tasteful packaging. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Scent: Spectacular. I have loved the Speick scent ever since sampling their cream from The Shave Den some time ago. The soap has a milder scent, but the signature blend of Lavender and Valerian Spikenard ("Speick plant") provides for a clean, refreshing shave. My lady friend says it smells "like a clean man". I wish the cologne had more staying power.

Lather: This soap, along with Tabac, sets a standard in the "ease of lather" department. I can whip up a monstrous amount of slick, lubricious, cushioning lather with very little effort. Even AOS Sandalwood takes more work. The lather provides all the slip and comfort I've grown to love from tallow-based soaps, and does not dry out or dissipate on my face.

Efficacy: It's a shaving soap that does its job exceedingly well.

Moisturizing: It neither moisturizes nor dries my face out. A pretty standard shaving soap in this regard.

I'm beginning to think the Germans make the best, most economical, all-around shave soaps. Between this and Tabac, I'm not sure I need anything else. This stuff is downright superb, especially considering the cost. Every wet-shaver should give it a try.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Ok gents, I have been a beneficiary of shave product reviews for a long time, and I am very excited to be contributing my first review to B&B. Here goes:'

Price: I gave it a 7. Yup. See the price is very affordable at approximately $5.50 usd per stick. However, the sticks are rather small. You'd need to purchase 2 sticks to get the equivalent amount of a standard sized puck / shave stick. Its not a bad price either. Even for $11 usd for two sticks, this is a great value:quality ratio product.

Quality: Superb! Gave it a 9 because I have had better and I am using relative value in my ratings here. The quality is great be every measure. I think AoS is the best tallow soap on the market (YMMV), but not by much. If AoS scored a 9.1, this scores a 9. Not bad.

Scent: Smells great. It is a warm scent, sort of like a spicy fern / oak moss / sandalwood combo. I also have the aftershave lotion (splash) and the bar soap, and I find that each product smells different from the other. Still, product contains that speick plant smell, which btw is intoxicating. I like it a lot.

Lather: Look at the pics I've attached to see the lather for yourself. This lather was produced via face lathering method w/ an Edwin Jagger BBB. Great lather. I've also bowl lathered with this and I get really nice peaks in the bowl. I grated my stick into an empty TOBS tub. The lather pictured was not produced via the shave stick method. Great lather. Very slick with lots of pillowy cushion thanks to the tallow. The flash on my camera might have killed the first pic a bit.

Efficacy: Hey, it did what it was supposed to. Provided a slick, moisturizing cushion for my razor to glide over. Works great and leaves my face feeling soft and supple after the shave.

Moisturizing: Yup. I have normal skin and can tell when a product has a drying, neutral, or moisturizing effect. This product leaves your face a bit more moisturized than neutral. However, I would still apply an aftershave. I know there are some products that can leave your face feeling moisturized as all get out, but there is certainly room for a splash / balm after the shave.
Speick is my current favorite shave soap. I love the smell. It's like fresh cut wood. I love the lather, tallowy goodness. I love the way my face feels afterward. Speick really protects my face as I shave. Really great stuff.

Now, here are my gripes:
  • This is one tiny stick. Sure it only costs $5, but I'd pay $10 for a stick twice the size.
  • I wish it was a puck. I don't like sticks. I end up buying two sticks at a time and milling them into a mug, which works great btw.

I encourage everyone to try the Speick Shaving Stick.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This has become my basis of comparison for shaving software. I have tried nothing finer yet, soap or cream based. If I had to use one shave product and only one shave product for life...this is it. I will probably buy this by the boatload simply based on the possibility that in my lifetime it may stop being produced in its current formulation. Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, water, Potassium Cocoate.....

When I die I hope to be able to shave with Speick in heaven forever, Amen.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
The Speick stick I purchased in early 2010 is tallow based, FWIW.

Price:
Amazing bang for your buck.

Quality:
I'd give it a 10 if it weren't for the foil packaging, that stuff is annoying. The soap itself is great stuff, though.

Scent:
Speick! It smells just like the rest of the products, citrusy, bright, and spicy. I love pairing this with the aftershave splash.

Lather:
Great lather.

Efficacy:
Great. Enables easy, close, irritation-free shaves.

Moisturizing:
Better than most. As I mentioned before I almost always pair with the AS, and my skin feels soft and silky smooth afterwards.

Simply put, I love this stuff. I originally bought it for use mostly as a travel soap, but I now use it often. If you like the Speick scent (or want to find out if you do), get this!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I mill it into an old Trumper's wooden bowl and use it as a soap puck (I have a strange aversion to shave sticks). I just love everything about this soap, from price to scent to lather to performance to moisturizing properties...

Also, FWIW every stick of Speick I've gotten (4 in total) have been tallow based.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Price:Very inexpensive. :w00t:

Quality: For its price, it shaves like the big guys. Thats for sure. It whips up a great lather, has a great price, and smells fantastic.

Scent: Using both the speick cream and soap, the soap has a more masculine scent to it, whereas the cream has a more ferny smell to it. Both are fantastic scents that bring a great olfactory sensation throughout the shave.

Lather: I prefer shaving with a puck, so I milled it into a bowl. That said, it lathers like a beast. Only ever so slightly lacking on the slickness side of things, it is still a great lather-er.

Efficacy: Great stuff. Enough said.

Moisturizing: Ehh... not as moisturizing as, say, MWF, but it certainly doesn't dry out your face. I prefer to use a balm for my moisturizing qualities rather than a soap.

So... if you haven't used it, take the plunge. Its a great little soap. :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Price: In a word, fantastic. Yes it's for a smaller package than a puck, but given how well this thing is lasting shave after shave I have to say it's a great value.

Quality: This soap is tallow based, which earns big points to begin with. It's certainly well-made, and while it's nice to have a handle on the stick, I would have preferred a retractable package like the Tabac shave sticks. That's a minor gripe, so it still earns points here.

Scent: Amazing! I've never been good at using notes to describe scents, but Speick has a spiciness to it that is just incredible. I had previously used the plain bar soap as a shower soap, and the scent is identical and intoxicating. If I could smell like this all day, I would.

Lather: Of the shave sticks I've used thus far, Speick has been the top latherer. Minimal effort required to achieve a slick, super creamy lather indicative of its tallowy goodness. Provides a great balance between slick and protective, and my face usually feels great after a Speick shave.

Efficacy: More or less apply what I said in the lather category. The balance between slickness and protectiveness allows for a close, irritation-free shave. Never any burn from the fragrance. Simply a great product.

Moisturizing: This is the lowest of all the ratings for me, but what can I expect from a soap? It's not drying by any means, but any time other than summer I do have to follow the shave with something. This could be more a function of my skin than the soap itself, and there are many soaps that are more drying than this.

Overall perception: One of my favorite soaps. If only they would make it in puck form too :drool:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I really like Speick shave sticks. Handy and smell great. A little drying on my face however. I store mine in a plastic pill bottle. Perfect for travel.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)