What's new

Simpson Commodore X3

Item Description

Just a great all around brush.

Price: I have it an 8 because I still think shaving brushes in general, regardless of quality are overpriced.

Quality: The best brush I have ever used bar none. It simply feels and works awesome on my face.

Stiffness of Tips: Stiff enough to do a very effective job at exfoliating and soap loading. I found it to be more effective at loading MWF than my Vulfix #404 Badger/Boar brush.

Softness of Tips: Very soft. Simpson best strikes a perfect balance between softness and stiffness. Perfect, perfect perfect softness.

Ergonomic: Very well designed. I gave it a 9 because it doesn't perfectly conform to my fingers, but it is very comfortable nonetheless.

Latherability: Lathers like crazy! I've never had a brush that lathers this well! Creates a very rich lather in such a short time and with the fewest swirls needed of any brush I have used.

Latest reviews

Pros: Mounds of lather
Cons: small defect on handle
Brushes tend to be on the expensive side but I felt this was a very good deal compared to what is out there. The only reason it got a 9 for quality is because of a pin head sized dent in the base of the handle on my example otherwise I would have given it a 10. I believe the Duke and Chubby are both more densely packed but I honestly prefer it because it releases lather easier. Simpson best is my favorite grade of hair so far and I feel it is the perfect balance of soft and stiff. Ergonomically it is easy to hold and nice for bowl lathering, the handle hooks on the edge of the bowl well when not in use. This brush lathers so easily and hold a ton of water. This brush is my favorite badger brush to date.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
The X3 best is great. Seems to have a very similar knot to my Duke 3 and Chubby 1, except with a slightly longer loft by a mm or two. Although it's got a hefty density factor, it's less so than the aforementioned D3 and (especially) CH1. This isn't a bad thing though. It creates mounds of lather and releases it more easily than the D3 or CH1. I find the handle to be very ergonomic.

I liked the X3 so much I bought the X2 and X1 as well. :blushing: Truth.

At it's price point, the X3 is one of the better deals in the Simpson range. The Commodore series is under appreciated, IMO.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
1.00 star(s)
Just a great all around brush.

Price: I have it an 8 because I still think shaving brushes in general, regardless of quality are overpriced.

Quality: The best brush I have ever used bar none. It simply feels and works awesome on my face.

Stiffness of Tips: Stiff enough to do a very effective job at exfoliating and soap loading. I found it to be more effective at loading MWF than my Vulfix #404 Badger/Boar brush.

Softness of Tips: Very soft. Simpson best strikes a perfect balance between softness and stiffness. Perfect, perfect perfect softness.

Ergonomic: Very well designed. I gave it a 9 because it doesn't perfectly conform to my fingers, but it is very comfortable nonetheless.

Latherability: Lathers like crazy! I've never had a brush that lathers this well! Creates a very rich lather in such a short time and with the fewest swirls needed of any brush I have used.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)