What's new

Shavemac VLB brush Review

Item Description

Okay, having shaved with both versions, I can post a review.

The VLB is a variable loft brush that has a base that turns to extrude the brush head at variable lofts. There was a V1, which had some problems of sticky turning and jamming, and the new V2 which I review below.

V2 (see pics) is quite different. Basically there is a brush on a plastic plug, and this plug threads onto a big metal screw inside the brush handle. The mechanism turns with a ball bearing race, which appears sealed with rubber gasket. It turns effortlessly and easily. If you turn it so the brush rises up, eventually you see the lip of the inner plug, and then the plug comes off the screw. Thus it is easy to clean, and you could just clean the inner plug, or rinse out the handle.

What are the differences? V2 is quiet a bit heavier than v1, probably because of the ball bearings. It weighs 6 oz. (This compares to 3.5oz. for the B&B brush, my other heavy brush). I don't know what the V1 weighed (someone with one, please weigh it?). There are two other apparent differences. The brush seems a little less dense, and the range seems a little less, but these are subjective, based on my faded memory of V1, and could be wrong. In any case, it has a very think brush, and very soft on the face. It lathers up like a champ, and the mechanism is a delight to turn wet or dry. I was able to turn it down, get some soap on it, and then open it up to lather up the soap.

For me I prefer V2, as my V1 was very stiff turning and locked up a lot. If you are lucky enough to have a dependable and easily turning V1 I might hang onto it, although I wonder longterm if it will get crudded up inside and end up jamming.

What else can I say? Overall I am impressed at the redesign of the brush, and equally impressed with Bernd's dedication to customer service. BTW, the brush comes with two invoices, the original one and a secondary one for $45. At first I thought I was paying an extra $45 for the new brush, but it was a customs invoice only, and I don't think he charged me anything for the repair! (Or maybe $14 for shipping, I'll have to check my credit card.)

Questions?

Here are some huge photos of the mechanism inside and the brush head separated from the barrel:

http://upload8.postimage.org/511161/photo_hosting.html
http://upload8.postimage.org/511120/photo_hosting.html.

Latest reviews

Okay, having shaved with both versions, I can post a review.

The VLB is a variable loft brush that has a base that turns to extrude the brush head at variable lofts. There was a V1, which had some problems of sticky turning and jamming, and the new V2 which I review below.

V2 (see pics) is quite different. Basically there is a brush on a plastic plug, and this plug threads onto a big metal screw inside the brush handle. The mechanism turns with a ball bearing race, which appears sealed with rubber gasket. It turns effortlessly and easily. If you turn it so the brush rises up, eventually you see the lip of the inner plug, and then the plug comes off the screw. Thus it is easy to clean, and you could just clean the inner plug, or rinse out the handle.

What are the differences? V2 is quiet a bit heavier than v1, probably because of the ball bearings. It weighs 6 oz. (This compares to 3.5oz. for the B&B brush, my other heavy brush). I don't know what the V1 weighed (someone with one, please weigh it?). There are two other apparent differences. The brush seems a little less dense, and the range seems a little less, but these are subjective, based on my faded memory of V1, and could be wrong. In any case, it has a very think brush, and very soft on the face. It lathers up like a champ, and the mechanism is a delight to turn wet or dry. I was able to turn it down, get some soap on it, and then open it up to lather up the soap.

For me I prefer V2, as my V1 was very stiff turning and locked up a lot. If you are lucky enough to have a dependable and easily turning V1 I might hang onto it, although I wonder longterm if it will get crudded up inside and end up jamming.

What else can I say? Overall I am impressed at the redesign of the brush, and equally impressed with Bernd's dedication to customer service. BTW, the brush comes with two invoices, the original one and a secondary one for $45. At first I thought I was paying an extra $45 for the new brush, but it was a customs invoice only, and I don't think he charged me anything for the repair! (Or maybe $14 for shipping, I'll have to check my credit card.)

Questions?

Here are some huge photos of the mechanism inside and the brush head separated from the barrel:

http://upload8.postimage.org/511161/photo_hosting.html
http://upload8.postimage.org/511120/photo_hosting.html.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)