What's new

Shavemac D01 2-band Extreme Flat Top

Item Description

Since this review is for a custom Shavemac, it will vary a lot based on knot size and loft. That said, I have seen a number of Shavemac "Guile" brushes on the boards and thought I would throw up a review based on the specs of my brush.

My Custom Specs:
24mm Knot
43mm Loft
Cocobolo/Nickel handle

Price: 8 - This was at the time of my purchase the most expensive brush I had received. My price was $230 shipped (when the euro was pretty high), but most of that was from the handle. I think a basic acrylic handle would have dropped the brush to the $160 range.

Quality: 10 - I've had this brush for about 3 months and it hasn't shed a single hair. The quality shines through in the handle and completely custom knot size and shape that sets Shavemac in a class of it's own.

Density: 9 - This thing is plenty dense and one of my most dense brushes. However, compared to a Rooney Finest it is less dense so it can't get a perfect rating (then again what is as dense as a Rooney Finest?).

Stiffness: 10 - this is probably going to depend on what loft you set yours at, but the Shavemac D01 2-band hair has plenty of backbone. Mine probably has a lot more because I set the knot extremely low for a super scrubby brush.

Softness: 10 - The tips of the D01 2-band hair are the silkiest and softest tips of any brush I've ever used. Kind of like how there is nothing out there like Rooney Finest hair - I would also say there is nothing out there like Shavemac D01 2-band hair either. This is not a comparison between the two as they are totally different beasts and unique in their own ways.

Ergonomic: NA - This will totally depend on the handle you choose. I absolutely love the wood/nickel handle as it has a lot of heft to it and fits well in my hand (I would rate this handle a 10).

Latherability: 10 - Frankly any brush when properly loaded should have no issues lathering up enough lather for a 3 pass shave. Sure this brush is dense so I just load more product and have no issues.

Overall: There is nothing out there quite like Shavemac's 2-band hair and if you are on the fence, I would get one now before it somehow becomes extinct like Rooney's Finest apparently has. This brush and my Rooney 1/2 Finest are my best overall brushes and probably see 80% of my use. Do yourself a favor if you have the coin and shoot Bernd an email about a custom brush. You won't have any regrets.

Also, since these are custom made let's see your brushes in all their glory!
proxy.php

proxy.php

Latest reviews

Since this review is for a custom Shavemac, it will vary a lot based on knot size and loft. That said, I have seen a number of Shavemac "Guile" brushes on the boards and thought I would throw up a review based on the specs of my brush.

My Custom Specs:
24mm Knot
43mm Loft
Cocobolo/Nickel handle

Price: 8 - This was at the time of my purchase the most expensive brush I had received. My price was $230 shipped (when the euro was pretty high), but most of that was from the handle. I think a basic acrylic handle would have dropped the brush to the $160 range.

Quality: 10 - I've had this brush for about 3 months and it hasn't shed a single hair. The quality shines through in the handle and completely custom knot size and shape that sets Shavemac in a class of it's own.

Density: 9 - This thing is plenty dense and one of my most dense brushes. However, compared to a Rooney Finest it is less dense so it can't get a perfect rating (then again what is as dense as a Rooney Finest?).

Stiffness: 10 - this is probably going to depend on what loft you set yours at, but the Shavemac D01 2-band hair has plenty of backbone. Mine probably has a lot more because I set the knot extremely low for a super scrubby brush.

Softness: 10 - The tips of the D01 2-band hair are the silkiest and softest tips of any brush I've ever used. Kind of like how there is nothing out there like Rooney Finest hair - I would also say there is nothing out there like Shavemac D01 2-band hair either. This is not a comparison between the two as they are totally different beasts and unique in their own ways.

Ergonomic: NA - This will totally depend on the handle you choose. I absolutely love the wood/nickel handle as it has a lot of heft to it and fits well in my hand (I would rate this handle a 10).

Latherability: 10 - Frankly any brush when properly loaded should have no issues lathering up enough lather for a 3 pass shave. Sure this brush is dense so I just load more product and have no issues.

Overall: There is nothing out there quite like Shavemac's 2-band hair and if you are on the fence, I would get one now before it somehow becomes extinct like Rooney's Finest apparently has. This brush and my Rooney 1/2 Finest are my best overall brushes and probably see 80% of my use. Do yourself a favor if you have the coin and shoot Bernd an email about a custom brush. You won't have any regrets.

Also, since these are custom made let's see your brushes in all their glory!
proxy.php

proxy.php
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)