What's new

Sharp Stainless

Item Description

When I first became a member here, SSLStudio was kind enough to send me some blades on the understanding that I would post reviews once I had tried them out, the Sharp's were the first blades I finished testing.
Firstly, some points for your consideration. I gave the price a 10 because I got them gratis, I don't actually know how much they cost. Secondly, I gave the packaging a 5 because it comes in a simple cardboard box, this mark is not a criticism I just thought it represented a fair average; the box isn't good and it isn't bad, it just is.
Onto the blades themselves, I actually like these blades quite a bit. I first tried them when I was having problems with Merkur blades and had yet to receive my order of Feathers. They provided a welcome relief from the burn caused by the Merkurs, without having to sacrifice a good shave for comfort.
As for the sharpness of the blades, i would put them on a similiar level as Merkur or Israeli blades. Whilst they are never going to set the world alight in terms of sharpness, they do what they are designed to do admirably. For anyone who is unable to get along with the Feather blades for an extended period of time these would provide a welcome rest period from overly sharp blades.
When I first broke out a fresh Sharp, the initial shave, while not unpleasant, was quite rough, but shaves 2-5 with the blade were nice and smooth. I switch all my blades out after 5 days, so I cannot provide a complete assessment of this blades overall longevity, but while I was using it, it did it's job just fine without dulling noticeably.
In the Merkur HD, this seems to show a bit more blade than other brands (could just be my perception though) but it is never harsh. In the futur, the blade seemd to be a bit overwhelmed by the size and weight of the razor, so I think it is better in smaler, less heavy razors.
As for the shave itself, it is not on the same level in terms of closeness as the Feather's or the Swedes, but after four passes I had a good, close shave without any irritation or redness.
All in all, this is a solid, no frills blade that I would recommend to those who have access. To those who can get Israeli's easily it might not be worth tracking down some Sharp's, but for anoyne who is struggling with another blade, these might be your salvation.
Warm regards,
Alex

Latest reviews

Pros: cheapness
Cons: rough, tuggy, below average sharpness
I'm not experienced enough to give good numerical ratings but I'd say these were poor blades and especially poor for newcomers. Rough, tuggy, unpleasant from the first. Others felt better immediately. Tried a second one and threw it away before finishing one side of my face. I might revisit them someday but given the range of other blades more easily available at low prices, I probably won't take the time. If I'm wrong, it's not worth finding out.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: I have only a 5 pack
Cons: Dull, harsh
I seriously thought about tossing this blade after the first pass. It was that bad. It tugged and pulled and felt like cutting warm butter would have been a challenge. I tossed the blade after 3 passes. I might give Sharp another shot but not anytime soon. Price: I got them as part of a sampler, so I didn't have a price that I paid. But the 'Bay has them for $0.26/blade which is at the higher end. Packaging: Cardboard pack wrapped in cellophane. I nicked them 1 point for the plastic. The blades are double wrapped with no glue. Everything else is just pretty bad.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
I recieved a 5 pack of these blades as part of a sampler pack. I decided to try one out the other day. I had a 2 day beard going, and my beard is fairly thick.

I lathered up and started to shave. The blade immediately started tugging rather than cutting the hair, it felt like it was plucking my face like a bird. :crying: Never before has shaving with a DE brought tears to my eyes.

The second and third pass wasn't as bad, but it certainly was not an enjoyable shave.

I did get a DFS out of 3 passes. So I figured I would give it another chance.

The next morning I took a little longer with my face prep, I applied a preshave, and whipped up a good superlather. The blade did not tug as much (with only a 1 day growth) but I found that I had a lot of irritation after 2 passes.

I decided to call it quits, and will be throwing away the remaining 4 blades.

Stay away from Sharp.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave