What's new

Semogue Horn Handle Silvertip Badger Brush

Item Description

I had been following Leon's thread about these brushes since I first joined the forums and when they were finally available I decided to get off the pot and splurge a little. I have absolutely no regrets for doing so. I believe I have either #14 or #16 of the set. Mine was double stamped though so it is uncertain which it was supposed to be (does an error on the brush make it more valuable like old baseball cards?).
I am a soap user with just a tiny sample of cream left from an order sitting around unused. For the harder soaps it takes a bit longer to get the brush loaded as it is a little towards the floppy side, but a bit of work and those triple milled tallows are fine. More than fine really. The lather builds up beautifully. Even with my slightly hard water in my no humidity environment. If you send it to a softer soap like Cella or Proraso be prepared for an explosion of lather. I have to remember to change my loading a bit when I switch off my Tabac or Arlington.
On the face this brush is a pure delight. While some have commented on it being "floppy" I do not get that. The bristles are softer than anything else I have tried by far and while they are not as stiff as a lesser bristle, they get the job done remarkably well. The handle is perfectly weighted and the diameter fits elegantly between my large-ish hands allowing for a nimble touch I am not accustomed to pulling off in any manner.
While my other brushes (Rudy Vey with a Golden Nib finest, Conk Pewter handle and VDH Boar) are not on the same gourmet tier as this brush I have no desire to obtain any of the other beautiful brushes out there. The horn is stunning to look at while the bloom has the perfect shape and thickness for my taste. If you get the opportunity to pick up one of these, either used or in a future re-release, I would not hesitate to advise doing so.

Latest reviews

I had been following Leon's thread about these brushes since I first joined the forums and when they were finally available I decided to get off the pot and splurge a little. I have absolutely no regrets for doing so. I believe I have either #14 or #16 of the set. Mine was double stamped though so it is uncertain which it was supposed to be (does an error on the brush make it more valuable like old baseball cards?).
I am a soap user with just a tiny sample of cream left from an order sitting around unused. For the harder soaps it takes a bit longer to get the brush loaded as it is a little towards the floppy side, but a bit of work and those triple milled tallows are fine. More than fine really. The lather builds up beautifully. Even with my slightly hard water in my no humidity environment. If you send it to a softer soap like Cella or Proraso be prepared for an explosion of lather. I have to remember to change my loading a bit when I switch off my Tabac or Arlington.
On the face this brush is a pure delight. While some have commented on it being "floppy" I do not get that. The bristles are softer than anything else I have tried by far and while they are not as stiff as a lesser bristle, they get the job done remarkably well. The handle is perfectly weighted and the diameter fits elegantly between my large-ish hands allowing for a nimble touch I am not accustomed to pulling off in any manner.
While my other brushes (Rudy Vey with a Golden Nib finest, Conk Pewter handle and VDH Boar) are not on the same gourmet tier as this brush I have no desire to obtain any of the other beautiful brushes out there. The horn is stunning to look at while the bloom has the perfect shape and thickness for my taste. If you get the opportunity to pick up one of these, either used or in a future re-release, I would not hesitate to advise doing so.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)