What's new

Savile Row Silvertip 3118

Item Description

Il Bambino a great little brush and possibly the best brush dollar for dollar out there. At $75 you can't afford not to have this little Silvertip. Ron our resident Lathermeister has posted an amazing thread were he broke down this brush. Here's a link to his thread. I would also like to thank Ron for the pictures I'll post in this review, I borrowed them, Thank you Ron. Your knowledge and expertise is always appreciated. :thumbup:
View attachment 2998

Price - $75 for a quality Silvertip brush. I don't know of one cheaper. This is definately a 10 on the price scale.

Quality - 9.5 Like all the SR Silvertips I've had, this one of of very high quality, IMO though, this one is not quite up there with 3824, but still a great, well made brush. It's also remarkable sturdy for it's small size.

Density - This brush is very dense for its size, but compared to larger knots of similar quality it just can't compete. But this is by no means an invertebrate brush. When compared with a Vulfix 2233 with a 22mm knot, this brush is just as dense even though is 4mm smaller.
Here it is compared with SR 3128
View attachment 2997

Stiffness - I would actually give the stiffness an 8.5, but there is no mark for that. This is a scrubby little brush. For those whose of you who enjoy feeling your shave, this is a good choice. It will provide a wonderful scrubby feeling without an harshness on the skin.

Softness - I've found something unique about ths brush when you shift over to a painting stroke, this brush becomes very soft. But the stiffness beats out the softness, IMO.

Ergonomics - With this little handle, this brush is as ergonomic as any I've used. With it's small size can be held by the base of bristles of at the very end of the brush. Also this brush is small enough that anyone can precisely whip this brush anywhere on your face and get it everywhere you want and only exactly where you want.

Latherabilty - This little brush lather's like a Champ! Definately where the illustrious names comes from. I would never expect a brush that looks like this to lather the way it does. You can very easily generate enough lather for 4 passes and then some and you can use a smaller amount of cream because you also don't need much water with this brush.
View attachment 2999

This really is a great brush and a wonderful addition to anyone's arsenal. It's also a great starter brush for those who wish to upgrade to a quality brush, but don't have as much to spend. Take Il Bambino out for a run at the ballpark, you know you wanna!

If you would like to discuss this brush, Here's a Link to the Discussion Thread.

Latest reviews

Wow! This is no ordinary badger. I've used Simpsons & Rooneys but this little guy can hold its own with ANY of 'em! Crazy good lather and feels GREAT on my face in the morning - what a brush! Short, squat, but full of life. Excellent! Highly recommend.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
I love this thing!
It is the perfect balance of softness and stiffness.
I lathers awesome. In around 5 seconds I have lather I could shave with.
Quality? It has only lost 1 hair in the first 2 years I have had it. Compared to my Simpson which loses 2 or 3 every time I use it.

I cannot recommend this brush enough. Provides tons of lather. I don't know why anyone would ever need anything bigger.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
This brush is the perfect size for me. Great for lathering in a bowl, and ideal for face lathering (helps you get lather where you want it and not where you don't). I do tend to like slimmer handles, so that's the only area where I wish it were different. The lightbulb shape is my preferred profile (vs. fan shaped).

Based on the performance of "Il Bambino," I've sold my 4" brushes and going with my 3-3/4" Vulfix and 2-1/2" SR 31118.

Dave
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips