What's new

Peaso "Extra"

Item Description

I got this in an antique shop for £7.50, it had never seen a hone, and had only minor pitting and watermarks in places. Hence 10 for price!

It's beautifully made, as good as the new Dovo I took a gander at in a leather shop. I like the small piece of mother of pearl- only on one side of the scales, just at the tip, looks really nice. All the better for being so understated.

It is the most hollowed razor I own, you can scarcely see the line of "wear" left by the hone. It says "12" on the tang- I assume this refers to the finest grind on the Henkel scale. In addition to this the scales are really thin, quite a contrast to the scales on a Dovo, which seemed to me disproportionately chunky. The lightweight scales seem to balance the almost weightless blade perfectly- I shave really fast with this razor, but get a very comfortable shave, because it jsut seems to dance over my skin, scarcely making contact. At the end though, I am left with a really smooth shave.

The blade is quite flexible- it really "sings" on the strop, which is only a downside when shaving in a hurry- my stubble is very hard, so it tends to skip a bit if I just lather, strop and shave. I'll stick to wedges for shaving in a hurry. But if I take my time to massage in the lather, and hot towel etc, it will give me the most excellent shave. For this reason, I use it on a Sunday, when I have time for such facial luxury.

It doesn't seem to hold its edge as long as the Sheffield razors I have- but as I use my razors in rotation, a 7 day set as it were, it is hard to say for sure. This one does seem to see the hone more often though. However, it is very easy to hone- just tickle it on the hone and it comes up as sharp as any.

All in all, a fine razor, I am surprised I have not heard of "Peaso" of Solingen before.

View attachment 8009
Comes in a nice box too! Sorry about the photos, I'm not an expert by any means...
View attachment 8008
Here's one to show how thin the blade and the handles are.

Latest reviews

I got this in an antique shop for £7.50, it had never seen a hone, and had only minor pitting and watermarks in places. Hence 10 for price!

It's beautifully made, as good as the new Dovo I took a gander at in a leather shop. I like the small piece of mother of pearl- only on one side of the scales, just at the tip, looks really nice. All the better for being so understated.

It is the most hollowed razor I own, you can scarcely see the line of "wear" left by the hone. It says "12" on the tang- I assume this refers to the finest grind on the Henkel scale. In addition to this the scales are really thin, quite a contrast to the scales on a Dovo, which seemed to me disproportionately chunky. The lightweight scales seem to balance the almost weightless blade perfectly- I shave really fast with this razor, but get a very comfortable shave, because it jsut seems to dance over my skin, scarcely making contact. At the end though, I am left with a really smooth shave.

The blade is quite flexible- it really "sings" on the strop, which is only a downside when shaving in a hurry- my stubble is very hard, so it tends to skip a bit if I just lather, strop and shave. I'll stick to wedges for shaving in a hurry. But if I take my time to massage in the lather, and hot towel etc, it will give me the most excellent shave. For this reason, I use it on a Sunday, when I have time for such facial luxury.

It doesn't seem to hold its edge as long as the Sheffield razors I have- but as I use my razors in rotation, a 7 day set as it were, it is hard to say for sure. This one does seem to see the hone more often though. However, it is very easy to hone- just tickle it on the hone and it comes up as sharp as any.

All in all, a fine razor, I am surprised I have not heard of "Peaso" of Solingen before.

View attachment 8009
Comes in a nice box too! Sorry about the photos, I'm not an expert by any means...
View attachment 8008
Here's one to show how thin the blade and the handles are.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
3.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)