What's new

Muhle R89 [2011]

Item Description

Mühle R89
safety razor, double edged, metal, chrome finish
Length: 95 mm
Weight: 66 grams

Chrome DE safety razor
The traditional safety razor with replaceable blade is regarded by many as the first mechanical razor for self-shaving. At MÜHLE it is more: a minor miracle of precision, ergonomics and beauty, created for ambitious wet shavers. Our design combines high-quality metal-working (chrome-plating) with an extremely fine engraved finish. The model comes in two versions (closed and open comb) as every beard growth, every type of facial skin is individual – and the same applies to personal shaving preferences. Comes with a short instruction and one blade.

Latest reviews

Pros: - Design
- Chrome finish
- Even though the rest of the razor is Zamak, the threads are brass, which will reduce the likelyhood of Zamak rot.
Cons: - Zamak
It's as reliable as it gets.

To me, the two major German razor manufacturers represent two different philosophies. Merkur Solingen represents the 'workhorse', reliability and sheer power, while Mühle is kind of design friendly, offering more of a luxurious feeling. The selling point regarding reliability is the Edwin Jagger & Mühle designed 89 head, which is very mild, a great entry level razor head that is friendly to wet shaving newbies, but also a reliable workhorse. It will deliver 'good enough' (tm) shaves, with virtually zero irritation, but not the closest ones (but do ask yourselves if you need BBS every morning, to me it's overrated. You just need to look clean shaven for your job + your skin will thank you for it).

The chrome plating is superb, it feels good in your hand.

Another plus is, the threadposts are made out of brass, which reduces likelyhood of zamak rot, as the chrome plating on the threads usually is the first to go, exposing the undelying Zamak (the problem with Edwin Jaggers, for example, and why their heads tend to snap off on a couple inch drop) and then rotting.

Basically, carefully designed, not the best material, but the main problem areas are fixed with superior materials.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Quality, beauty,ergonomics
The R89 is, imo, a wonderful product; as most things from Muhle are. I have a real problem with sensitive skin and I can almost always get a comfortable, close, shave with it. It, for me, strikes the balance between aggression and gentleness, and I always find myself going back to it after trying more expensive razors.

It can't be rated for adjustment because it has none, which I prefer. The quality of the fit, and finish, and beauty make it well worth its price.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautiful Design & Looks amazing
Cons: Slippery when wet, Too mild for coarse stubble IMHO
I found this razor far too mild, it is however the most beautiful piece I have and despite not having it in my rotation any more I cannot let it go because it is such a good looking razor. I do have a very coarse beard so I dont think many people will have too many issues with it, another bad point is the very shallow embossing on the handle which makes it quiet slippery with soapy hands.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)