What's new

Merkur Progress

Item Description

Latest reviews

Pros: - versatile, you can find a setting for every beard and skin type/length
- weight and length are superb
Cons: - very slight blade adjustment issues
- as I read in reviews, settings vary from different models, a 2 on my Progress doesn't necessarily mean 2 on your Progress.
Merkur Progress is a superior razor made by DOVO / Merkur in Solingen, Germany. Made in 1955, it's pretty much unchanged until today, as the mechanism is the same and the looks of it also. I simply love how the razor looks, it screams modernism, reminds me of a German oldtimer car. The weight and balance on the short handle are superb and it's the best balanced razor in my collection. It's not necessary to delve into the shaving itself too much, as you have to find a setting that will suit you, and basically everyone can find one fitting their shaving needs.

It's made out of zamak, but it feels sturdy, really well made and durable, though we'll see about this last bit.

When looking to buy the razor, look if the positioning triangle on the baseplate is the small version, as that's the new mold version Progress with basically zero alignment issues. Great price for an adjustable, and overall a keeper indeed. It killed of my RAD from the first shave.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: super comfortable
Cons: none
Balance is great, versatility is great and quality is great!
This is my go-to option on most days. Paired with a Polsilver Super Iridium and set on level 4 it is a great, efficient yet smooth shave.

I have big hands so I've not had any issues with grip. In fact I find that the lack of knurling forced me to find a secure grip that promotes very little tension and pressure.
I also love that the blade angle allows for a little more parallel-to-the-skin razor position which feels more natural and definately makes it easier to maintain proper blade angle from jaw to neck.
This gets my Highest Recommendation!
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
Pros: weight and aggressiveness
Cons: grip, price
The bad is the grip. It's slippery and requires a hand free of lather. The blade replacement is not as easy since, you need bifocals or readers, you will need a lens to see which side the hashmark is on to line up the blade cap. Beyond that, this is a classy little fellow. I had a very pleasing shave and the lower settings are very mild whilst it can accommodate even the thickest of facial hair. I prefer this model over its pricier cousin the Futur.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)