What's new

Merkur Progress

Pros: - versatile, you can find a setting for every beard and skin type/length
- weight and length are superb
Cons: - very slight blade adjustment issues
- as I read in reviews, settings vary from different models, a 2 on my Progress doesn't necessarily mean 2 on your Progress.
Merkur Progress is a superior razor made by DOVO / Merkur in Solingen, Germany. Made in 1955, it's pretty much unchanged until today, as the mechanism is the same and the looks of it also. I simply love how the razor looks, it screams modernism, reminds me of a German oldtimer car. The weight and balance on the short handle are superb and it's the best balanced razor in my collection. It's not necessary to delve into the shaving itself too much, as you have to find a setting that will suit you, and basically everyone can find one fitting their shaving needs.

It's made out of zamak, but it feels sturdy, really well made and durable, though we'll see about this last bit.

When looking to buy the razor, look if the positioning triangle on the baseplate is the small version, as that's the new mold version Progress with basically zero alignment issues. Great price for an adjustable, and overall a keeper indeed. It killed of my RAD from the first shave.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: super comfortable
Cons: none
Balance is great, versatility is great and quality is great!
This is my go-to option on most days. Paired with a Polsilver Super Iridium and set on level 4 it is a great, efficient yet smooth shave.

I have big hands so I've not had any issues with grip. In fact I find that the lack of knurling forced me to find a secure grip that promotes very little tension and pressure.
I also love that the blade angle allows for a little more parallel-to-the-skin razor position which feels more natural and definately makes it easier to maintain proper blade angle from jaw to neck.
This gets my Highest Recommendation!
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: weight and aggressiveness
Cons: grip, price
The bad is the grip. It's slippery and requires a hand free of lather. The blade replacement is not as easy since, you need bifocals or readers, you will need a lens to see which side the hashmark is on to line up the blade cap. Beyond that, this is a classy little fellow. I had a very pleasing shave and the lower settings are very mild whilst it can accommodate even the thickest of facial hair. I prefer this model over its pricier cousin the Futur.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Reactions: nelsonic21
Pros: Adjustable, nice weight
Cons: Handle design
I've used the Progress more than 50 times and have been very happy with it. It has a good balance, a very nice weight to it and the adjustment feature works great when I go longer than normal without a shave. The razor is built very well and the dot has always lined up between + and 1 when tightened down. I also like the plastic knob feeling it adds a good style to the razor.
The problems I have with it are the price and handle design. I think a design with a better grip, like the Merkur HD, would work well here. And the price seemed a bit high, I've seen some sites charge $70, for the materials used. Although the quality for what you get is very good.
Overall this is a great versatile razor.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Adjustable
Cons: Price and plastic knob
My new favorite razor. I gave it a 5 in Aggressiveness because it depends upon the adjustment.

I have found the adjustments for my different blades including the ones that I didn't like in my other razors. With the Progress you can turn a sharp blade like a Feather into a great mild shaver with a 2 on the adjustment scale or a Merkur blade on 3.5 - 4 into a decent 2 shave blade without any problem. 2 passes with any blade and you can tell if you need to go up or down to make it shave your way.

All I would change is the plastic knob to metal.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Adjustable, heavy, ease of manuvering
Cons: no instructions
Well this is a razor that actually is what it claims to a quality made adjustable razor. reading through a lot of the other reviews I see people having issues with adjustment and the numbers not lining up correct when a blade is placed in the razor. this I guarantee is 99% user error as you must make sure that you align the arrow and notch on the upper and lower parts of the head to ensure that you have FULL adjustability. I have combination skin in the sense that parts of my face are more sensitive than others and this razors works great for this purpose. I can go to a 4 or 5 on my face then drop down to a 1 or 2 for my neck area. I could also adjust between passes as in aggressive on my first pass than less aggressive on the following passes. This razor is the first DE razor I have ever had that has reduced razor burn and helped prevent ingrown and this is a result of the ability to adjust the razor to MY specific needs. The only complaint I have is that for anyone like myself that is new to a adjustable razor their is little instruction as to how to change a blade or even get the darn thing open.... their is a little piece of paper that shows a horrible drawing that is supposed to be the instructions but I feel for a $75 razor it should have been a lot clearer as to use and care of this otherwise brilliant razor. As with any razor the blade you use will make or break your expierence so you may want to try a few... it comes with a Merkur blade which is not horrible but their are better choices IMHO out there. I highly recommend this razor to any DE shaver as the learning curve is very low as the angle of cut is easy to find and you will not be disappointed by the quality of the shave.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth and Adjustable
Cons: Platic Knob
Great Razor. The variability of the aggressiveness makes it suitable for many types of shaving methods, and beard growths. Also, if one had to take only one razor on a trip for instance, this would make a good choice. I also liked the smaller head better than that of the Merkur Futur.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Quality
This is my go-to razor. After watching Mantic59 use it, I had to to have it. The weight is right, the safety bar is perfect for my beard and blade replacement is a snap. This is my first adjustable razor so, I'm still discovering all the nuances of the different settings. I can see shaving with this razor until I take that big dirt nap or the razor breaks...which ever comes first.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have been using my modified Progress (thank you Eric) for a few months now. The modifications have made what was once a good razor an excellent one. It is now my number 1 razor. In fact, I like it so much I ordered another one, this time XL, and had it shipped to Eric for modification.

The quality is now excellent. No plastic parts and the razor looks beautiful.

The grip is still just OK - a little hard to grip when hands are wet. But after several months you just get used to it.

The balance is great.

This is one adjustable that can go from mild (1) to aggressive (5). My first pass is usually at 2.5 and my subsequent passes are 4.

Before its modification, the Progress was good but for some reason wasn't as smooth as I would like. Perhaps the adjustments were off a bit. Now, however, it is smooth and yet I can get a very close shave.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I didn't get the Futur because it is one ugly razor so I bought this razor after a few months of using Merkur 23C and way before joining B&B. I paid about $55. I bought it because it was very pretty and adjustable and Mantic59 loved his.
Shaving with this razor felt as if I was shaving with a switchblade. Not fun or smart. I played around with the setting and realized that this razor is unreasonably aggressive. This razor set at the lowest setting of "1" felt more aggressive than the Gillette Red Tip which is considered an aggressive razor and btw I also have the Merkur Slant aka "Satan's Razor" and I love both the Red Tip and the Slant razors.

It was also difficult to evenly load a blade with the Progress.

To me aggressiveness rating is the sweet spot, and is subjective so yes this razor is very aggressive but so is a switchblade.

I really wanted to like this razor but we didn't get along.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
The Progress is a good, well-made razor. I have the "long handle" model. It has a smooth grip (slippery) and is quite heavy. The head also bends the blade to a an angle such that you want to use a shallow approach of handle to face.

The plastic tip is nice looking, but a little cheap in feel. On the whole, that's not a big deal though.

The razor's range of adjustment is great-- very mild to very aggressive. I like to dial to 2 for with the grain, down 1 against and then up to 3 to get difficult neck hair. This allows me to shave comfortably, but still get a close shave.

The razor is generally well-built, but has higher tolerances than the price should allow. I picked mine up for about $70, which is, in my opinion, high for this razor. I expected a bit more in the way of tight tolerances for that money. Either the quality should come up or the price down. That said, it's a nice razor on the whole and works well for me.

I am a little put off by the weight-- I still love my late 1930s Techs the best, I think.

The blade replaces easily and quickly. You need to check the blade exposure on each side when tightening down-- you can and will get differences if you don't keep them even by guiding it in by hand.

Overall, a nice razor at a somewhat excessive price. As a $35-$40 razor, it would be wonderful. But at $50-$75 (depending on long vs short handle, and where you look) it's a bit steep for what you're getting. I do think they last well though.

Bottom line: a very nice razor that is somewhat overpriced, but still a nice offering if you want an adjustable.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Use an emery board or fine sandpaper and gently smooth surface and posibly a slight polish with a bit of wax and you will have no rough surfaces. Also please use an old toothbrush to clean razor head..gives us OC and RAD types the creeps to see SOAP SCUM !!!!!!! on a shaving device. It does come off with just a bit of effort. USE a clean machine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and prevent shaver nightmares.
The Merkur Progress did not impress me when I first held it. The handle was a little slick and the ugly adjustment knob stuck out like a sore thumb. The first shave was good but no better than my slant. I went back to using the slant for the next few shaves leaving the Progress setting on my dresser. Pulled it out for my shave last night and was greatly impressed. I set the adjustment to 3.5 for the first two passes. The third and final pass was done with the setting on 1. It was a very smooth final pass that cleaned up anything left from the other passes. It's competing with my 37C slant for the top spot and doing a good job at it.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This is one great razor. No adjustment or blade exposure problems with mine. The only complaint (minor) is the plastic knob is a little rough at the end as if it was not finished off properly. Does exactly what its suppose to do and thats shave.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I bought my Progress two years ago. It is a great razor. The quality is very good. This model adjusts from pretty mild to very aggressive. Shaves nicely.

I gave it some points off on the Grip (mentioned several times already).

There is some problems were the blade has to be played with to get the exposure even -side to side, (not a huge problem but was annoying when I first started shaving with it). Because of that, I shaved some points for :User Friendly and Ease of Blade Replacement.

The razor head is weighty and the balance is very good.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
:thumbup1:

I love this razor. Even its Ugly plastic knob. It gives the razor a retro look.

Price: For an adjustable Merkur, its the best price. Especially with these results.

The grip isn't perfect. Compared to a textured handle its not as reliable. But I have no problems with it. Just took a point off for it being my single complaint.

Really want to try a Mergress one day
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I switch from a parker 91R. This razor is definitely better than the parker. It gives a very close shave. I like the way the blade bends. It gives me a closer shave without razor burns. This razor with combination of feather blades are the greatest combination in my opinion. Unlike other's my merkur progress came zeroed at where zero should be so I am happy.

Cons for this razor is the grip and the plastic knob. From what I understand many of the progress owners are not as lucky as I am with zero on their progress. My only suggestion that would make the progress better is changing the grip and the knob.

Otherwise an excellent razor. I am never parting with my Merkur Progress.

:thumbup:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
One shave and I am truly impressed with the modified progress. No problems with the grip for me and the balance is fine. Consistent shave with little effort and the ability to dial up for a second or third pass makes this a fine all round performer. Got mine from a fellow B&B member who returned to buzzing and gave up wet shaving. Can't comment on the unmodified version. At about $80 with the price Fat Boys are now bringing makes this model competitive among good adjustables. If you are an adjustable kind of guy, you won't be disappointed. Will be in my regular rotation.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
After having sold all the Merkur razor i had, a 1904, a Futur, a HD and a vintage slant, i came back to Merkur again.
I bough mine at coolshaving for about 50 something dollars and it came whit a case.
First i really like to look of that razor, reminds me a bit of the old Apollo razors.
I used it first today whit one of the Merkur blades that came in the case(a pack of Merkur blades came whit the case also), and i got a really good shave.
I already imagine the good and smooth shave that the Progress could give whit a better blade than Merkur , like Feather or Astra.
I would say if you like the adjustability of the Futur and the more compact size of the HD (that make it easyer on tough spot to get , like under the nose), the Progress is the razor for you.
Also i heard a lot of bad thing saying that when you load a blade inside the razor it doesn't come back at 1 anymore, but i had no problem whit that, mine come back to one without a problem.
I highly recommend it.:thumbup1:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I'm so excited mine comes in the mail soon!! :thumbup: can't wait!
Top Bottom