What's new

Kim Son Horn Handle Silvertip Brush

Item Description

This Brush, from Kim Son Handicrafts in Viet Nam, is new on the market. Up to now, Kim Son has only supplied horn handles, but now they've decided to go whole hog and supply a finished brush.

The handles are, of course, hand carved and polished Water Buffalo horn. The quality on this handle is lovely--deep colors swirl in the semi-translucent material. The handle is one piece except for an inset plate on the base, which I think is standard as the horn itself is hollow.

The knot is, according to Vu Kim Son, hand-tied from and Indian company. The knot is quite large--I measure it at around 25mm, with a tall 52 mm. loft. This is a big brush, and the knot is fairly dense. It has good backbone, and was able to handle soaps and creams equally well. The water retention is just right and the tips are smooth and soft--no trimming here. I would have preferred a bit more backbone, but then I am a boar fan, so I have yet to meet a badger that satisfied in this regard.

The quality of the brush is very solid. I can't compare it to the top end brushes, but it is every bit as well made as the Simpsons Duke 3 I tried, and was more satisfactory to use than the Shavemac finest I tried.

It shed a total of 5 hairs in the 10 times I used it, shaving and test lathering. It hasn't shed any for the last three tries, so I don't think shedding will be a problem.

Overall, I have no hesitation recommending this brush for those looking for something a little more aesthetically pleasing in a new brush, especially at this price point ($79 for a horn handled silvertip!).

Give Kim Son Handicrafts a try!

Latest reviews

Price: I got this off the B/S/T for a lower price, but I'd say it'd be a good deal even at full price. For ~$50 for black horn, it's solid competition for the New Forest 2211 (as soft, mid-range silvertips go), and you can get other neat horn patterns for prices up to about $100 (~$70 for the normal, yellow-black pattern, which is what I have).

Quality: I don't have any problems. As I say, mine came to me in used condition, so I can't comment on initial shedding and the like, but it's been a solid, wonderful brush for me. The handle is the real selling point -- real horn for a price that won't break the bank -- and, surprisingly, the knot doesn't disappoint. Though, of course, you could always just get the handle and supply your own knot from TGN or the like.

Density: Not bad at all. Not as dense as my Simpson's Eagle, of course, but much denser than my Fendrihan silvertip. It's about on part with the New Forest. I got it for bowl-lathering creams, so I haven't really tried face lathering with it, but it'd certainly work. It wouldn't be a face-lathering beast like the Simpson, but it certainly would be serviceable for a face lather.

Stiffness of tips: This isn't a scrubby brush, and doesn't pretend to be. It's soft and pillowy, and the stiffness of the tips is nothing to write home about. However, I haven't experienced any problems with it either, and I didn't buy a silvertip to be a scrubbing monster. Is it "floppy"? A little...depends on what you're looking for. It's got its niche, and stiffness isn't it.

Softness of tips: It's soft. Really, really soft. I haven't used a Kent or Rooney, so I haven't really felt the benchmark of soft brushes, but it's soft enough that I can't feel any scritching, which is enough for me.

Ergonomic: Aside from the horn handle, this is the Kimson's real triumph over the New Forest in the realm of midrange silvertips. Whereas the New Forest feels cheap and is kind of uncomfortable to palm, the Kimson feels great no matter how you hold it, and the handle works perfectly for me. It's a great, classic design.

Latherability: No complaints here!

Overall: It's soft, it's luxurious, and it feels like a quality item. Similarly priced brushes (like the New Forest I keep comparing it to) feel like they've cut corners to get to their price point, whereas the KimSon feels like the real deal. Highly recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)