What's new

Kent BK8 clone

Item Description

Silvertip brushes entirely manufactured in China tend to get a bad rap in our community. The conventional wisdom has been that you 'get what you pay for' and blue-blood european brands is where the discussion often starts and ends when it comes to quality silvertip brushes.

I will qualify my review by saying that boar brushes have been my weapon of choice the 20 years I have been wetshaving. Over the last few years I have tried 3 (european) silvertip badgers but never quite been satisfied with the experience. The main reason was that the brushes were too small for my liking. I decided to give badgers yet another try but this time I went further east and purchased an Ace Silvertip brush that could be described as a Kent BK8 clone.

The product arrived in Boston within 10 days of ordering online. There was no fancy box - but it was well packed and not damaged in any way during transit. Here are the dimensions as listed by the manufacturer:
-- Total weight: 71g
-- Hair loft: 58mm
-- Hair width at base: 25mm (inconsistent; reported as 26mm elsewhere)
-- Total height: 113mm

There was a perceptible animal odor in the fibers upon receipt but this was also the case the Semogue and Vulfix silvertip brushes I have tried in the past. I washed with soap & shampoo 2-3 times before first use. After 3-4 shaves - the odor was completely gone.

Now to the shave....

1. Softness:
The face feel after soaking and during lathering is very soft. Softer that other silvertips I tried and just a bit shy of the latest synthetics (e.g. Plisson, HIS etc).

2. Density & Backbone:
The brush is densely packed and offers sufficient backbone for both soaps and creams. I don't have too many reference points but expert users have reported elsewhere that Ace knots tend to be on the dense side (also see knot pic). When fully loaded - the knot feels like a wall of lather. Also, I exclusively face lather and the brush offered sufficient backbone for face lathering.

3. Water Retention
The brush holds a *lot* of water when soaked. Too much in fact. I have learnt to shake it well before lathering. During lather build - when I add water to the brush - it will hold quite a bit; I like this. IMHO - this is the biggest advantage natural hair still has over synth fibers.

4. Lather making ability
Superior. In my view - the density, backbone and water retention of this knot makes lather building a breeze. The softness of the tips makes it a luxurious experience

5. Handle
The handle is made of resin and was uniformly turned, free of blemishes & highly polished when it arrived. As for shape - this handle appears to be a Kent clone - so all the pros/cons that apply to Kent handles apply here. Personally - I want an even larger handle (70mm?) - but the brush cannot be faulted for this. My point is - the handle looks great and appears to be well made but ergonomics/shape is highly YMMV.

Overall - I think this is a high quality brush that will be a keeper in my den. It is offered at an excellent price (compared to alternatives) and is well worth a try.

Latest reviews

Pros: Value for money
Cons: Lacks pretty packaging
Silvertip brushes entirely manufactured in China tend to get a bad rap in our community. The conventional wisdom has been that you 'get what you pay for' and blue-blood european brands is where the discussion often starts and ends when it comes to quality silvertip brushes.

I will qualify my review by saying that boar brushes have been my weapon of choice the 20 years I have been wetshaving. Over the last few years I have tried 3 (european) silvertip badgers but never quite been satisfied with the experience. The main reason was that the brushes were too small for my liking. I decided to give badgers yet another try but this time I went further east and purchased an Ace Silvertip brush that could be described as a Kent BK8 clone.

The product arrived in Boston within 10 days of ordering online. There was no fancy box - but it was well packed and not damaged in any way during transit. Here are the dimensions as listed by the manufacturer:

-- Total weight: 71g

-- Hair loft: 58mm

-- Hair width at base: 25mm (inconsistent; reported as 26mm elsewhere)

-- Total height: 113mm

There was a perceptible animal odor in the fibers upon receipt but this was also the case the Semogue and Vulfix silvertip brushes I have tried in the past. I washed with soap & shampoo 2-3 times before first use. After 3-4 shaves - the odor was completely gone.

Now to the shave....

1. Softness:

The face feel after soaking and during lathering is very soft. Softer that other silvertips I tried and just a bit shy of the latest synthetics (e.g. Plisson, HIS etc).

2. Density & Backbone:

The brush is densely packed and offers sufficient backbone for both soaps and creams. I don't have too many reference points but expert users have reported elsewhere that Ace knots tend to be on the dense side (also see knot pic). When fully loaded - the knot feels like a wall of lather. Also, I exclusively face lather and the brush offered sufficient backbone for face lathering.

3. Water Retention

The brush holds a *lot* of water when soaked. Too much in fact. I have learnt to shake it well before lathering. During lather build - when I add water to the brush - it will hold quite a bit; I like this. IMHO - this is the biggest advantage natural hair still has over synth fibers.

4. Lather making ability

Superior. In my view - the density, backbone and water retention of this knot makes lather building a breeze. The softness of the tips makes it a luxurious experience

5. Handle

The handle is made of resin and was uniformly turned, free of blemishes & highly polished when it arrived. As for shape - this handle appears to be a Kent clone - so all the pros/cons that apply to Kent handles apply here. Personally - I want an even larger handle (70mm?) - but the brush cannot be faulted for this. My point is - the handle looks great and appears to be well made but ergonomics/shape is highly YMMV.

Overall - I think this is a high quality brush that will be a keeper in my den. It is offered at an excellent price (compared to alternatives) and is well worth a try.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)