What's new

Herban Cowboy Shave soap

Item Description

I tried this a while back, mainly because I liked the scent. The short story is, it never lathered very well for me, even when I tried making superlather, it performed poorly. Williams performs much better in my opinion. Also it tended to dry my skin out quite a bit more than I like.

It does make for a nice bath soap, but I won't be buying any more. As always YMMV.

GS

Latest reviews

Pros: great sent, locally available
Cons: poor lather
I picked this up a week or so ago at Whole Foods with my girlfriend because she liked the sent. So on the 12th before Valentines I decided to give it a go so I would know what to expect in two days before I took her out and what not. I built the lather in a cup with my omega bore and no matter how much soap I loaded it always seemed airy. I added water and now it was just soupy. I added more soap and it was airy again. I figured whatever Ill try it and started to apply the lather. It was thick and smelt great but by the time I moved my brush to the other side of my face the lather had already dried to practically nothing. I reapplied the lather three times with the same results. I knew what I was about to do was a bad idea, but I had to try it anyway. I attempted a wtg pass with my slant. I got one stroke and washed it off and went back the cream I had been using. I was so disappointed with the results I havent been bothered to try it again, and I most likely wont. Maybe Ill use it as a shower soap since it does smell great, but I wont be purchasing this again or recommending it to anyone.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent
Cons: A little thin on protection
This is my first experience with a shaving soap.

My wife fell in love with the scent of this stuff so I figured I'd give it a try. I tried a first lather the night before I was going to use it for the first time. With my bargain basement (I'm new to wet shaving) fine badger hair brush and about a minute's worth of mixing, I got a good lather. After rinsing my hands in the sink of hot water, I notice the lather disappeared almost instantly which was unusual considering I'd only used creams to that point.

The next day, I got another good later after a five second spin on the cake of soap. Unfortunately, it seemed like the lather wasn't really lubricating my face very well. My razor seemed to pull a bit more than I was comfortable with and the blade was brand new.

On day two, I decided to try adding a pump of Kiss My Face shaving cream. This way I could get the scent my wife seemed to linger around the bathroom while I shaved to smell and still get the protection for my face. Significantly better results. The same five second spin with the pump of cream yielded a very nice lather, and tons of it, that protected my face much more than just the soap alone.

My review says I recommend this soap, which I do if and only if you combine it with a cream of some kind.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: cheap, readily available, smells good
Cons: thin, wimpy lather
I bought a cake of this soap along with an Herban Cowboy brush. In spite of the fact the lather is thin and wimpy, the soap actually performed fairly well. It seemed to matter more the type of brush I used. My usual choice is boar bristle but it worked better with Badger. Although the lather seemed to fade quickly, it still left a thin, slippery film on my skin which was adequate for a good shave. It seems to me that lubrication is the most important thing in shaving. I once did a complete shave using Olive oil rather than shaving cream. It wasn't ideal but it did work. Most of the reviews for this soap seem to be fairly negative, but to me it just wasn't that bad. AB
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)