What's new

Gillette Tuckaway

Item Description

Hidden among the more famous of Gillette's "aggressive" offerings is the humble Tuckaway. Produced in the '20s, the Tuckaway has a shorter handle than other razors at the time, giving it a different balance than the New. This doesn't make it light - this razor has some heft for its size, and the silver plating certainly helps.

The result? This tiny razor actually gives an aggressive shave, more aggressive than many of its cousins such as the New Improved. Twelve hours after a shave and my cheeks felt like they had just been shaven. My neck, a usual problem for even the best razor, wasn't a problem for the Tuckaway.

And irritation? The usual tradeoff for aggressive razors is redness. (Dare you shave with a Red Tip and splash on Pinaud Bay Rum? I thought not.) While I didn't get much redness, I will admit that splashing on the Superior 70 gave me quite a jolt. That's the tradeoff.

The Tuckaway is an attractive razor, and (if you are lucky) comes in a lovely silver case. Silver means it tarnishes, of course; this razor will take a bit more maintenance to keep shiny than one with a nickel finish.

All in all, a wonderful razor, and recommended to those who like open comb razors.

Latest reviews

Pros: Nice vintage product that does what it was designed for.
Cons: It will cut you if not used properly.
I have a similar 1921 vintage with the same comb just different handle. It shaves great and i really like the balance. I have other DE razors to try but prob never will because i really like the shave from this one..
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: One of the better OC razors
Cons: None
I use the Tuckaway on a ATT Atlas handle on most days. In my opinion it shaves cleaner than the Gillette New. It seems to take more soap off your face than the Gillette New with each stroke. It has just the right aggressiveness to be a comfortable daily razor. I believe that this razor should have a better following.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Hidden among the more famous of Gillette's "aggressive" offerings is the humble Tuckaway. Produced in the '20s, the Tuckaway has a shorter handle than other razors at the time, giving it a different balance than the New. This doesn't make it light - this razor has some heft for its size, and the silver plating certainly helps.

The result? This tiny razor actually gives an aggressive shave, more aggressive than many of its cousins such as the New Improved. Twelve hours after a shave and my cheeks felt like they had just been shaven. My neck, a usual problem for even the best razor, wasn't a problem for the Tuckaway.

And irritation? The usual tradeoff for aggressive razors is redness. (Dare you shave with a Red Tip and splash on Pinaud Bay Rum? I thought not.) While I didn't get much redness, I will admit that splashing on the Superior 70 gave me quite a jolt. That's the tradeoff.

The Tuckaway is an attractive razor, and (if you are lucky) comes in a lovely silver case. Silver means it tarnishes, of course; this razor will take a bit more maintenance to keep shiny than one with a nickel finish.

All in all, a wonderful razor, and recommended to those who like open comb razors.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)