What's new

Gillette Super Speed 1940's no date code

Item Description

Okay, I must start out by saying that I am new to wetshaving. However, my grandfather had a gillette superspeed identical to the one that I picked up on ebay. After he would shave, he used to lather my face up with his brush and hot shave cream dispenser and let me "shave" with it (without the blade of course.) This superspeed I purchased on ebay for less than $10. It has no date code on it, and is not a tapered bottom, or colored bottom, but is the knurled handle. From what I can tell, it would be pre 1948-1950? If anyone can correct me on this, please do, I'd love to know. Let's get one thing out of the way, my Pawpaw (who could walk on water, gave the best christmas presents, could do no wrong, practically raised me) had one identical, so maybe I'm going to be partial to the superspeed for sentimental reasons.
I used the razor with cheap blades purchased at SuperDollar (5 for $1.) The blades don't last long enough for me, but give a really good shave. I'd love to try other blades in this razor, hoping that it continues to shave this nice or better with other blades as well. Maybe these cheap blades are a great match for this razor, maybe it's the razor, maybe it's the sentimental value of the razor, but I love the shave I get with it! I'll tell now, I'm hooked on wetshaving. My face feels great, no razor rash, no ingrown hairs, I like it.
View attachment 16888

View attachment 16889

Latest reviews

Pros: price
Cons: aggressiveness
Quality razor of which my biggest complaint is the weight. I expected this to be mild fro the outset from all the reviews I'd already read. I was looking for a mild shave today and it delivered that. It doesn't have the weight that many of the others in its family have and for that I'm left wanting. My preference is for a heavy longer handle , which this has neither. It is easy to grip even with a lather laden hand.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: This razor is mild forgiving,easy to use, I nice grip and to me at least a all around great razor.
Cons: none to me
I brought this product from the bay for 35 and it was in new condition for it's age that is amazing so i grabbed it. Now this was when i first started shave and my only razor was a Krona at the time. So like any newbie to the wet shaving would i came to B&B and looked at all the reviews of the Newbie razor. When i realized i want a vintage and i want a gillette. the super speeds are mild user friendly to any one starting out and still i have much love and use it in my rotation right on side of my krona and fatboy. if you just starting and want to do vintage i would save grab one and never let it go. but that just my option
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: still easy to find, affordable, well made, great razor!
Cons: none so far, wished I had bought one sooner :)
These razors are still very common, and affordable. I bought mine for $10.00, and it had some tarnish on it, but I easily cleaned it up. I feel silly for not trying out a 40's superspeed sooner, because it really is a great razor. It shaves so smooth, and the knurling on the handle gives a nice grip too. It is a well made razor, and the fact that there are still so many of these around is a testament to its durability. I put an Astra SP blade in it for the first shave, lathered up with Mitchell's, and had one of the smoothest, most effortless shaves ever. I would recommend a 1940's superspeed to any wetshaver, try one out.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)