What's new

Gillette Fusion Power (No Joke)

Pros: A good fast shave with the power on
Cons: Cartridges are VERY VERY expensive.
I trod the path of electric, then sensor, sensor excel, Mach3, Fusion Power.

The Fusion Power in my view gave good shaves, and was of adequate quality but requiring zero input from the user, gave no pleasure, and the whole vibrating electric thing just felt so wrong, why should a razor need to vibrate? And why five blades, this razor was so full of gimmicks that it made me question the whole, newest is best mentality.

I now use a Mach3 for very speedy shaves (if absolutely necessary) and a EJ89 for proper shaves (as much as possible).
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
If I were to review this as being a powered version of the straight fusion and rated it based on performance only when the power was on, this would get a minus zero. The minute this thing starts vibrating I might as well take the foil off my braun cruzer and put the blades straight on my face. Power on, this is cheese grater territory on my skin and I would have thrown it away instantly. I never ever use it with the power on, it nicks me right away and I get horrible rash if I try and stick with it.

But since you can turn the power off... I actually like the shave that this gives me about the first two times I use one of the cartridges. The slime strip leaves my skin in good shape until it wears away, and the blades give me a nice, close and easy shave in one pass. Once the blades get duller than brand new (after two or maybe even one shave) this causes a good amount of razor burn.

Also, the 5 blades work great for a daily shaving basis, but when you try and tackle a growth of four or five days then a shave turns into torture as all five blades try to cut the same hair all at the same time. It pulls and tears and is very uncomfortable to use unless the blade is brand new. And by the end of that one shave you've ruined your cartridge. which brings me neatly on to price.

I rated ease of blade replacement at 4 because how much the damn cartridges cost. I threw away the razor holder the minute I got my merkur DE razor because I don't ever feel the need to refill it again. I keep the handle only because if travelling I might need to buy some razor blades on the go and these things are pretty much universal.

Good shave, but only at high cost and bad value for money. Stupid power gimmick doesn't work at all (for me).
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Pros: So easy a monkey could shave with it
Cons: Price, Razor Burn
The Fusion is probably the top cartridge razor I've used, but that is not saying much. It gives me plenty of irritation, razor burn, and ingrown hairs on my neck and the price of the cartridges is absurd.

The only good thing I can say about the razor is that it is easy to use. Anyone starting out shaving could use this no problem.
Grip
0.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
D
displayimage.php

The Mach III power advertisements didn't impress me much... the whole concept seemed stupid, and I wasn't falling for it. The shick quattro? Oh PUH-LEAZE.... 5 blades, a huge strip to raise the hair on ones face, a single blade on the back for under the lip and sideburns and a gooey conditioning strip to boot? Talk about over-engineering.... but wait, how about a super dooper "Fusion sonic" engine to power the S.O.B. and then polish it off with a battery status indicator - just to beat a dead horse? What a joke.... but no - really it exists and I have the pictures to prove it... this sucker was just too stupid NOT to try.

displayimage.php

Ok.... so you open this "kit" (and it is a kit) and this is what you get...

displayimage.php

So how do you work this them thar thang?

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Ok - so push the button and shave away - big deal. Uhhh.... yeah.... 5 big deals.

displayimage.php

(Notice the blade in the BACK)
displayimage.php

This razor shaves like nothing else I have ever experienced... feels incredibly weird. As you drag it across your face it seems to draw VERY slow and requires a fair amount of effort... unlike anything I had ever used before. Not that it hurt at all, or even seemed like it was skipping... it just seemed like you were pulling an oar in a vat of hard butter... strange I though - seems like they use cheap *** blades... but then I felt my face - and to my surprise - it had taken a tremendous amount of hair off of my face with ZERO irritation. Well to cut the huffery out and get to the point - 4 passes later, and I feel this razor is outstanding. No elaborate explination necessary - 4 passes with this fusion provided me with a smoother, more comfortable shave than 4 passes with my Merkur Vision loaded with a Feather PT.... yeah, I am impressed too.

Special notes - this razor sucks when the little whiz bang motor is OFF. Surprisingly the motor makes a WORLD of a difference - enough so that I would NOT use this razor in the unmotorized form. Also - this is the FIRST gillette cartridge razor that did NOT tear my face off, or punish me with ingrown hairs - but with ALL of this said... I have only used this razor ONCE - and I shaved with it this evening (I didn't shave this AM) - so I will update this post - and possibly my results over the next few days.

Bottom line - My initial impression is that this sucker could VERY WELL knock my vision off the top of the moutain and become my daily shaver.... seriously - I am stunned too.
I actually helped beta test this razor before it came out and wrote a pretty through review on it. I had to give my test one back but went out and bought one when it came in the stores.

I've used it for a couple of weeks and was pretty impressed that the motor actually made a difference, I get a cleaner, closer shave with the Power Fusion, but I just enjoy the process of using a DE more.

I would post my Power Fusion for sale or trade in the Shaving Mall but I'm afraid that I may get flamed. =X
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Get the Power. I've used this without the power and its is completely different. The fusion has less irritation than the mach 3. Gillette claims it is because the blades are closer together, but I will say it has less irritation. also the extra blade on the back of the cartridge is awesome.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
ok used this guy for quite a long time. Best cartridge razor there is... no doubt. Shaves perfectly (but as said only when switched ON). The problem is that the price which you pay for it and later for cartridges is unthinkably high. Another thing is that it gives no pleasure of shaving. If you don't mind walking half-sleeping into bathroom make few strokes and finish your shave within 10 minutes without any experience and do not mind paying all those hardly earned money...this is your choice.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
As cartridge razors go, I think it is very very good.
I might add that I've tried both, and surprisingly enjoyed the non-power version better (!) not to mention the fact that other than the textured grip insert, the non-power version is made of metal.
My biggest beef with these is not their performance, as they do outstandingly well (MUCH better than a Mach III IMHO), but it is with the marketing tactics used. Whole rows of shelves are taken up by these, to the exclusion of other razors, and figuring in the price of refill cartridges the price goes up astronomically. For me, the cartridges lasted a bit longer (it's been months, mostly because I choke at the price, and buy more DE blades instead...) but if one replaced the cartridge every 5th shave (quite generous) He could have bought a new Merkur and a pack of blades each month he uses the razor....
Just something to think about.
Quality of shave is excellent. Impact on my wallet? More than it's generally worth. My shave, after all, doesn't look any better when I use it than when I use a DE or straight. It's just a bit faster is all.
John P.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have to say, I was extremely disappointed with this razor. When the Sensor came out, I was blown away by it (at this point I forget what I was using prior). When the Mach 3 came out, I was even more impressed- so I was hoping for yet further evolution in the quality of Gillette cartridge razors. Alas, I hated it. I used it for a couple of weeks and went back to the Mach 3. I think in their haste to compete with Schick's 4 blades, they went for quantity over quality. I find this razor very irritating to the face. (huh, whoda thunk dragging 5 razor blades across your face could possibly cause any discomfort?)

I like the physical nature of the razor- it has a little more heft than a typical cartridge razor, which I like.

On a side note, Gillette was billing the razors that vibrate as giving a better shave. Schick took them to court challenging the allegation, and won, so Gillette couldn't claim the vibrating razors give a closer shave, and had to change their packaging for said vibrators. :biggrin:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I picked up one of these over the weekend for the hell of it. Awful, just awful. It dragged and chattered all over my face. I had to apply a good amount of pressure to get this thing to perform well. Now, that pressure did not result in irritation the way it would with a DE. Still, it was mediocre at best and my skin was left somewhat cranky. I struggled through two passes with this beast and finished up with a Bic metal. The metal, on the other hand, performed wonderfully. That's another review though.:biggrin:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Don't mean to be so negative but I never saw so much bunch of baloney when it comes to an overpriced razor. Gillette's approach seems to be two fold an both are overly simplistic: 1) More blades on the face is better; and 2) Get the cost of shaving as high as possible.

In answer to point one, this is simply not true more blades on the face me more opportunity to cut and irritate. If three blades won't by some freek accident of nature irritate and cut your face the perhaps adding additional blades will. More blades does not make for a closer shave just makes for more irritation and cutting. What you want is not more blades but fewer blades, one seems to do just fine why add more.

"Second the men of this world are simply not paying enough for shaving" says Gillette, "we got to get the prices up." Do you like this idea? then by all means buy the Fusion you will pay an arm and a leg for an inferior shave. As for me I am trying out my new Double Edge - Single blade razor tomorrow morning for the first time.
Holy crap. Tried this thing and the shave felt amazingly smooth. That's the good part. The next day, I had burn and red bumps all over my neck and chin. This thing destroyed my face. I've used DE's, atras, sensors (my current), mach 3's (all models) and NEVER had a razor tear me up like this one did.

I am constantly amazed at how people can get a good shave with no after effects with this. I must have baby skin because I can use a sensor every day, but moving to a 3 blade razor is fine at first but after about 3 or 4 days in a row, my skin starts rebelling. This thing managed to do it in one day.

I don't think I'd wish this razor on an enemy. If you get good comfortable shaves with it, more power to you. I'll steer VERY clear or it and be thankful I don't have to pay the exorbitant cost for replacement cartridges! I'm just wondering how Gillette can top this thing. It's a known fact that before they release a new razor they already have the next product under development. I'm scared to even imagine what that could be and how much it'll cost...face wish and upkeep wise.

John
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I eagerly anticipated this razor because I have used Gillette razors for most of my shaving career. I didn't notice any improvement (the non-powered one) over my Mach3 Turbo, to which I recently returned.

I was so disgusted by the blade price, which seems to hover at $25 for an eight pack that I switched to the Schick Titanium, which I used for several months. Like all Quattro razors, this one is inferior to the Mach 3 because of its drag.

Too bad Gillette and Schick fight their blade--more is better--war at the expense of consumers. I bet that both companies could use their technologies to make really good, economical double-bladed razors that would keep costs for consumers down. Fat chance!

Porcine
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
I've had one since release, before I got into DE's.
It's overall just fine, but not worth the money when for the Mach 3 power gives me every bit as close and a more comfotable shave.
The razor has good feel by plastic cartridge razor standards and the vibrating model is the ONLY one to consider. The vibration basically helps in that it helps moved the oversized surface area over one's face more smoothly, moreso than really helping to cut hairs, as far as I can tell.

Compared to the Mach 3 I just couldn't find myself sticking with the Fusion.
I get a better shave from the Mach 3 and I truly think the powered Mach 3 shaves better due to closer shaved as opposed to reducing drag via vibration. The one and only advantage the Fusion gets IMO is the single blade on the back, and I don't care much for the feel of it, as the head pivots and the feel is a bit uncertain.

The price is the real killer. The value just isn't there when I can manage as close a shave from even my Merkur Classic HD and a blade that cost me 10 cents. A safer shave in terms of nicks, I'll give the Fusion (or other cart-based razors) that much.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I really like the Gillette Power Fusion. I used to use a DE razor before the cartridge razors came out. I began using one and never looked back. I lather up with a good shaving cream (C&E) or shaving soap (AOS) either in a bowl or on my face. The guys who use DEs suggest that you make three passes with the razor (WTG, XTG, ATG) and apply no pressure. I do the same with my Power Fusion and my shaves are always comfortable and BBS without irritation, nicks or cuts. I never got shaves this close and comfortable with a DE. I also find shaving to be quite enjoyable with the Power Fusion.
It is true that the blades are expensive, and the plastic is not biodegradable. However a blade lasts longer for me than any DE blade ever did. It is also true that the Power Fusion is more forgiving than any DE because it swivels. Personally, I don't find any romance in a razor that is not forgiving just like I don't find any romance in a wife that is not forgiving. Since I can afford the blades, I'll keep using the Power Fusion.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This razor in an improvemant over the quattro and mach 3 for sure. However, my shaves are closer with a DE, yet YMMV.

Pros-Ease of blade change, well formed grip, youd have to be drunk to cut yourself,

Cons-With the power off it feels like its pulling my hairs. I swear they put the lil motor in there to numb up your face to their engineering flaw. The cost of the blades is very high and the power version I had was made mostly of plastic vs metal of the regular one. However, the regular one doesnt work half as good.

Its not a bad razor if you dont mind the prices. They sent me mine in the mail. I use it for quick shaves on those morning Im running late. Prolly twice a month...
I worked my way up the cartridge ladder ladder to finally end up here, when I asked my wife to bring home some Mach 3 blades while shopping and for some reason she came home with this. I never heard the term "wet shave" and my routine consisted basically of rinsing my face, lathering whatever the cheapest foam I had on my face I had (usually Barbasol) and taking 1 pass. I used one for about a year and a half before recently switching to DE.

Unlike others, I found no difference whatsoever with razor either with the power on or off. It has exceptional balance and is very easy to use. I have a heavy beard. In the time I used it, I maybe nicked myself once. Never had a bit of irritation. The blades seem to last a long time, and not uncommonly if I was out a blade could go for a couple of weeks with no added irritation, only a less close shave. The single blade on the back is great for getting at sideburns and around nostrils. I almost can't say enough good things about it, even realizing that these views would not be popular in a forum such as this.

So if i love it so much, why don't I still use it? Easy. The blades are exorbitantly over priced. I just couldn't take it anymore, paying nearly $30 for eight. One day I saw a pack of 10 DE blades for a buck and a half, got a razor on Ebay and that was it. Little more care needed, little more effort, closer shave. But I digress. If Gillette lowered the blade cost to something even remotely reasonable, the Fusion would be very hard to beat.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I had been using this razor as a replacement for my Mach 3, up until about a month ago when I discovered DE shaving. I found that it gave me a fantastically close shave if I went ATG, but would result in lots of razor bumps and ingrown hairs. Purely shaving WTG, it was very comfortable, but not very close.

Since getting my first DE razors (merkur HD and Futur) I can't look at the Fusion without thinking it is ugly as hell and tacky. Even though It gave me an acceptable shave, I don't think I could go back to using it, as I enjoy the DE experience so much.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I've been using a DE safety razor for quite some time now, but I have to admit, the Fusion is a pretty decent razor as far as cartridge razors go.

I picked up the "Fusion Phantom." It's the same as the Fusion Power, except it's black. That's right - it's the same razor, just black instead of chrome, blue and bright orange.

The "vibrate like a marital aid" feature seems laughable at first, but when it's going, it really doesn't feel like you're shaving, just giving your face a mini massage or something. Not all that necessary, but we're talking about a 5 bladed $4 replacement cartridge vibrating razor here... necessity it pretty much out the window.

I never could (or wanted to) do multiple passes with one of these multi-bladed monstrosities... but for a single pass, the Fusion does get closer than I would expect. If I were, say, in the habit of getting out of bed and shaving while still half asleep, I'd probably choose this razor. It's easy to use and requires little skill or time.

I'd keep one of these and some cartridges for used now and again, but my problem is the ridiculous price. $4 for a replacement cartridge? Please, give me a break...
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Prior to my first, second and continuing use of DE, I used this razor. I thouight it provided a nice shave - especially easy near the nose, which I find difficult with my Merkur. I hated the price of blades - it always pissed me off buying them.

My big complaint, I guess is that shaving with that equipment seems so plastic. No heft of the razor. No pampering of the face. Just get up, use some gel to foam and go - I think I enjoy the ritual REQUIRED with the DE. The buildup of the foam, the care of the skin. Etc.

I keep one around to take care of the area right under the nose, but no further.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)