What's new

Gillette Fusion Power (No Joke)

Item Description

displayimage.php

The Mach III power advertisements didn't impress me much... the whole concept seemed stupid, and I wasn't falling for it. The shick quattro? Oh PUH-LEAZE.... 5 blades, a huge strip to raise the hair on ones face, a single blade on the back for under the lip and sideburns and a gooey conditioning strip to boot? Talk about over-engineering.... but wait, how about a super dooper "Fusion sonic" engine to power the S.O.B. and then polish it off with a battery status indicator - just to beat a dead horse? What a joke.... but no - really it exists and I have the pictures to prove it... this sucker was just too stupid NOT to try.

displayimage.php

Ok.... so you open this "kit" (and it is a kit) and this is what you get...

displayimage.php

So how do you work this them thar thang?

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Ok - so push the button and shave away - big deal. Uhhh.... yeah.... 5 big deals.

displayimage.php

(Notice the blade in the BACK)
displayimage.php

This razor shaves like nothing else I have ever experienced... feels incredibly weird. As you drag it across your face it seems to draw VERY slow and requires a fair amount of effort... unlike anything I had ever used before. Not that it hurt at all, or even seemed like it was skipping... it just seemed like you were pulling an oar in a vat of hard butter... strange I though - seems like they use cheap *** blades... but then I felt my face - and to my surprise - it had taken a tremendous amount of hair off of my face with ZERO irritation. Well to cut the huffery out and get to the point - 4 passes later, and I feel this razor is outstanding. No elaborate explination necessary - 4 passes with this fusion provided me with a smoother, more comfortable shave than 4 passes with my Merkur Vision loaded with a Feather PT.... yeah, I am impressed too.

Special notes - this razor sucks when the little whiz bang motor is OFF. Surprisingly the motor makes a WORLD of a difference - enough so that I would NOT use this razor in the unmotorized form. Also - this is the FIRST gillette cartridge razor that did NOT tear my face off, or punish me with ingrown hairs - but with ALL of this said... I have only used this razor ONCE - and I shaved with it this evening (I didn't shave this AM) - so I will update this post - and possibly my results over the next few days.

Bottom line - My initial impression is that this sucker could VERY WELL knock my vision off the top of the moutain and become my daily shaver.... seriously - I am stunned too.

Latest reviews

Pros: A good fast shave with the power on
Cons: Cartridges are VERY VERY expensive.
I trod the path of electric, then sensor, sensor excel, Mach3, Fusion Power.

The Fusion Power in my view gave good shaves, and was of adequate quality but requiring zero input from the user, gave no pleasure, and the whole vibrating electric thing just felt so wrong, why should a razor need to vibrate? And why five blades, this razor was so full of gimmicks that it made me question the whole, newest is best mentality.

I now use a Mach3 for very speedy shaves (if absolutely necessary) and a EJ89 for proper shaves (as much as possible).
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
If I were to review this as being a powered version of the straight fusion and rated it based on performance only when the power was on, this would get a minus zero. The minute this thing starts vibrating I might as well take the foil off my braun cruzer and put the blades straight on my face. Power on, this is cheese grater territory on my skin and I would have thrown it away instantly. I never ever use it with the power on, it nicks me right away and I get horrible rash if I try and stick with it.

But since you can turn the power off... I actually like the shave that this gives me about the first two times I use one of the cartridges. The slime strip leaves my skin in good shape until it wears away, and the blades give me a nice, close and easy shave in one pass. Once the blades get duller than brand new (after two or maybe even one shave) this causes a good amount of razor burn.

Also, the 5 blades work great for a daily shaving basis, but when you try and tackle a growth of four or five days then a shave turns into torture as all five blades try to cut the same hair all at the same time. It pulls and tears and is very uncomfortable to use unless the blade is brand new. And by the end of that one shave you've ruined your cartridge. which brings me neatly on to price.

I rated ease of blade replacement at 4 because how much the damn cartridges cost. I threw away the razor holder the minute I got my merkur DE razor because I don't ever feel the need to refill it again. I keep the handle only because if travelling I might need to buy some razor blades on the go and these things are pretty much universal.

Good shave, but only at high cost and bad value for money. Stupid power gimmick doesn't work at all (for me).
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
2.00 star(s)
Pros: So easy a monkey could shave with it
Cons: Price, Razor Burn
The Fusion is probably the top cartridge razor I've used, but that is not saying much. It gives me plenty of irritation, razor burn, and ingrown hairs on my neck and the price of the cartridges is absurd.

The only good thing I can say about the razor is that it is easy to use. Anyone starting out shaving could use this no problem.
Grip
0.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)