What's new

Gillette Fusion Power (No Joke)

Pros: A good fast shave with the power on
Cons: Cartridges are VERY VERY expensive.
I trod the path of electric, then sensor, sensor excel, Mach3, Fusion Power.

The Fusion Power in my view gave good shaves, and was of adequate quality but requiring zero input from the user, gave no pleasure, and the whole vibrating electric thing just felt so wrong, why should a razor need to vibrate? And why five blades, this razor was so full of gimmicks that it made me question the whole, newest is best mentality.

I now use a Mach3 for very speedy shaves (if absolutely necessary) and a EJ89 for proper shaves (as much as possible).
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
If I were to review this as being a powered version of the straight fusion and rated it based on performance only when the power was on, this would get a minus zero. The minute this thing starts vibrating I might as well take the foil off my braun cruzer and put the blades straight on my face. Power on, this is cheese grater territory on my skin and I would have thrown it away instantly. I never ever use it with the power on, it nicks me right away and I get horrible rash if I try and stick with it.

But since you can turn the power off... I actually like the shave that this gives me about the first two times I use one of the cartridges. The slime strip leaves my skin in good shape until it wears away, and the blades give me a nice, close and easy shave in one pass. Once the blades get duller than brand new (after two or maybe even one shave) this causes a good amount of razor burn.

Also, the 5 blades work great for a daily shaving basis, but when you try and tackle a growth of four or five days then a shave turns into torture as all five blades try to cut the same hair all at the same time. It pulls and tears and is very uncomfortable to use unless the blade is brand new. And by the end of that one shave you've ruined your cartridge. which brings me neatly on to price.

I rated ease of blade replacement at 4 because how much the damn cartridges cost. I threw away the razor holder the minute I got my merkur DE razor because I don't ever feel the need to refill it again. I keep the handle only because if travelling I might need to buy some razor blades on the go and these things are pretty much universal.

Good shave, but only at high cost and bad value for money. Stupid power gimmick doesn't work at all (for me).
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Pros: So easy a monkey could shave with it
Cons: Price, Razor Burn
The Fusion is probably the top cartridge razor I've used, but that is not saying much. It gives me plenty of irritation, razor burn, and ingrown hairs on my neck and the price of the cartridges is absurd.

The only good thing I can say about the razor is that it is easy to use. Anyone starting out shaving could use this no problem.
Grip
0.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I just shaved with this thing again after not touching one for 6 months. I have exclusively been using straights and DE instead. I have gotten descent shaves but nothing outstanding. So for comparison reasons I wanted to try it again. Well I posted my best shave EVER! I mean EVER! Its BBS and even throughout my entire face. I have to admit there was NO satisfaction or joy in it. Using straights is fun and everything that goes with it. I also like how people dog the price of the Fusion and the cartridge replacements. Well since I have started I have spent way over a grand buying different razors, strops, creams, scuttle ect. I'm not complaining just saying. I suppose if you can just buy a strop and a razor and a barbers hone then yes it would be allot cheaper. BUT I think most of us go above and beyond that.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I bought one today.....don't know why just did. My other razors in current rotation are a vintage Sheffield cut throat razor with a nice rams horn scales and a Merkur 12C.

So i pick up the Gillette fusion power to shave, funny looking thing, very light and started to shave with it. Not bad at all but this was like the fasted shave i ever had. It was all over in two minutes. I like a shave to be a manly ritual rather than a 'fast food' session. However the actual shave was actually quite passable it just for me didn't feel like any skills were required and that for me spoiled the fun aspect of wet shaving.

I'll probably use it from time to time but i can't see it replacing my more traditional wet shaving tools.....maybe i'll just keep it for shaving my pits :lol:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I was too young (just barely) to use DE razors when I got old enough to start shaving so I have been playing the disposable/cartridge/electric shaving game my whole life until 2 months ago when I found the Holy Grail (DE shaving). I have used pretty much every cartridge system since around 1988 up to and including the Fusion Power.

I have thick dark facial hair and I have had 5 O'clock shadow at Noon my whole life no matter what "shaving system" is used and electric shaving even with a top of the line Braun was even worse. Nothing has given me a close, enjoyable shave that lasts all day until I started using a DE.

This razor in and of itself is OK. It does and adequate job and if you have lighter/softer facial hair than I do it may be better than OK but the killer for this razor is the price to quality to benefit ratio. They just plain charge way too much for something that gives so little. After using a single blade DE it just points out all the ridiculous marketing that Gillette is using to convince people that 5 vibrating blades are the best shaving system ever invented when for a fact I know that 1 high quality DE blade outshines that junk any day.

If you are a technophile and you absolutely require your razor to be battery powered no matter the quality of the shave this is the razor for you.:glare:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
then this is for you. it sucks so bad i will never buy it again, and the fact that i got so much ingrowns from this razor is a add minus to this razor:thumbdown
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I used this razor for about 2 years before I discovered the beauty of de razors. This razor is now part of my travel kit as I cannot take my de razors on a plane.
This razor is well made and gives a fairly good shave. However, the blades are costly and if I want to get the same close shave that I get with my de razor I have to replace the blade on this razor every day. This is not possible for me as the blades are like $4 for each blade. I will not get rid of this razor as I use it when I travel.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Price: The razor handle itself was affordable enough, but the cost of the refills is outrageous.

Quality: Quality is average, it's a chunk of molded plastic, but seems sturdy enough for what it is.

Grip: Grip is nice and thick, has plenty of real estate for a firm purchase on the handle. The downside is the placement of the power switch. Maybe it's just how I hold it, but I end up accidentally bumping the power off several times while shaving.

Blade Replacement Ease: Simple and straightforward, press a button to release the blade assembly, push the handle into a new one. Doesn't get any simpler of quicker than that. Cartridge heads are held on securely as well.

Aggressiveness: This is where I'm most at odds with the razor, other than price of the replacement cartridges. 5 blades raking across skin at one time, seems like you'd get a great shave on a single pass. This is not the case for me, however. When shaving my legs with this thing, I can still feel the stubble after a couple of passes, but even after so much as a single pass, my legs suffer from the most terrible razor burn I've ever had.

Balance: Balance is good, the battery in the handle really gives the razor a nice heft and feel. It takes zero pressure to shave with razor, you'll only want to let the weight of the razor itself do all the work.

Final Thoughts: Blade longevity is horrible in my opinion. I can shave my legs maybe 3 times per cartridge head, before the blades become so dull they start dragging horribly. Perhaps this is why they added a vibrating feature to the razor, a gimmick to keep you from feeling all 5 blades dragging across the skin at once.

My old Mach 3 Turbo did the same quality of shaving, but with slightly less irritation, and less cost per refill. I still prefer a good double edge safety razor like my Muhle R89 sporting Astra blades, which gives me a closer, baby smooth shave, with absolutely no razor burn.

I generally use Tabac shaving soap, applied with a Edwin Jagger best badger brush, and the spacing on the 5-blade design gets gunked up and clogged really quickly. The razor head has to be rinsed continuously to keep it cleared, much more so than with any razor I've used before. This severely slows the process of shaving even more, with a razor you don't want be speed-shaving with in the first place.

I've personally decided to avoid trying any more of Gillette's money-sink marketing gimmicks, and will be sticking with the tried and true DE safety razors from now on.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
i've used the regular one. it gave a great shave but the next day my face was a mess, lots of bumps and irritation. i still have it but i only use DE now
I have used a Merkur HD 34C with feather blades and a best badger brush

along with soap and aftershave, since I started DE shaving 5

months ago and have found it to be an astethic and enjoyable time

consuming activity that is best to do in the weekend where I have plenty of

time to do my routine's thouroughly. Before I started DE shaving I used a

Gillette Fusion Power with great discomfort. The vibrating blade simply

irritated my face causing it to itch and burn. I recently bought the no power

version of the fusion along with their new range of face scrub, shaving gel,

moisturizer (aftershave). I was curious to see if Gillete's new productline was

worth the money and if it could compare to traditional products as soap,

brush etc. I must say that I was really impressed by the range and the razor.

The razor was pleasant and smooth to the skin and caused no irritation at all!

The shave products was decent in quality and provided good glide and great

protection before and after the shave. You could say that Gillete's new range

still tries to give the man a shave routine by using a scrub before the shave

and a gel to the shave and a moisturizer afterwards and that it has

simmilarities with DE shaving! Well I use my Fusion daily and enjoy it,

because it is fast and nick free. I exclusively use my traditional

shaving equipment in the weekend! That is just what works best for me:c16:

Sincerely Michael from Denmark
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
1.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
Hated this razor. Tried it three times and the shower floor was red from all the cuts it delivered while the power was on. It was "fair" when the power was off, but that defeated the whole reason for it's existence.

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
0.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
Agree on the quality of shaves part. With this, you're guaranteed zero nicks (try showing up at a meeting with toilet paper stuck to your face), and it shaves closer than any DE with a minimum of effort and preparation.

Uncomfortable, though, and don't even think about using gillette brand gel/foam/preshave/anything else
D
My nephew manages a college bookstore and brought a few sample over for me to try. What an experience! I found the thing to be very unbalanced, with too much weight on the head. The five or however many bladed head sat a strange angle and was difficult to maneuver on the upper lip area and around the chin. I felt luck to finish the shave with all of my skin intact.
I'll stick with old fashioned DEs.
I had to try it when it came out and i found the one without the battery better, i think it gives a good shave but the price of replacement blades knocks all its good points away, i actually like the extra blade at the back of the head but as i said before the replacement blades price kills this razor.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I'm still using one of these daily. Amazingly enough, even after months of practice, technique changes, and different lotions and soaps, I still can't get as good a shave with a DE that I get with this. I have never cut myself with it. I have extremely sensitive skin and am prone to horrible razor burn and ingrown hairs. One WTG and one ATG pass and I'm done. I really have to stretch my skin and apply a little pressure, but I get BBS shaves from this on a daily basis. I desperately want to find a DE setup that gives me the came quality shave, as the blades for the Fusion are ridiculously expensive and don't last much longer than a DE. But for now, this is what I use.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have been using the Fusion Power since it came out.

Price: Had to give it a 2 here, the price of the razor with a motor and battery is quite cheap, but the cost is absorbed by the insane $4 cartridges it takes. Had this been a review of the blades it would have been a 0...

Quality: I have used it for two years only had to change the batteries once, has hardly any parts as most of the action is in the cartridges.

User Friendly: Pick it up and start shaving. Hard to use too much pressure with guards and can't get wrong angle with pivoting head.

Grip: The power handle is thicker and quite comfortable

Ease of blade replacement: It takes literally 1 second to shoot the old blade in the trash and stick the handle into the new blade in the blade holder and pull it out ready to shave.

Aggressiveness: It's pretty aggressive; I mean you're doing 5 passes at a time. The blade gap is better than the Schick's but not quite as good as the Mach 3 so it does not get clogged up much.

Adjustability: n/a

Balance: it's pretty well balanced for pulling it parallel to face like intended.

This is actually a very good razor system for the unlearned (and upper middle class) masses. The cost of the cartridges is insane though, it is what drove me to buy 3 DE Razors over the weekend to learn to make the switch.

I am fairly certain Gillette and Schick have a deal going to keep cartridge prices high as well. The cartridges are complex but I doubt they cost more than $0.40 each to manufacture in the quantities they make them in...

1000% profit margin is a heck of a business model though!
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I, too, was delivered into DE shaving from the cost of the cartridges for this "shaving system". I did use the motorized version of this device and thought it was the best of the best until I went to purchase a new set of cartridges. I did enjoy the back trimmer as it did a great job under my nose. I am old enough to sort of remember shaving with the Gillette DE razors in the 60s. But I was bilked like the rest of us into believing cartridges were better and therefore followed the herd into what was the best innovation path. Now that I have returned to the fold and rediscovered DE safety razors and shaving art form, I feel I have been delivered from evil. Gillette only provided great razors in the past for a reasonable price to keep us buying their blades. It is all about selling a commodity that is disposable that caused Gillette to start on the cartridge quest because others were creating DE blades that worked as well in their razors. They want us to use and only use a product that they manufacture and this is why only their new cartridge blades fit in their latest razors. This is good business sense but leaves us up for grabs when it comes to the best bang for the buck.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I picked this one up at a promotional discount, to see how far I could get with this, compared to the DE razors I use. I was very disappointed.

Price: Perfomance / Price ratio to me is indiscussable. I havn't had such unsatisfactory shave for such highly priced blades in a long time.

Quality is ok from my point of view. A typical plastic type product of these days. Nothing really wrong, but did not thrill me.

The Fusion is definitely user friendly, nothing you can do wrong with it.

Grip: reflects personal preference, I do not really like to hold plastic, by now I prefer a metal razor (like the old Gillette Contour)

Blades are definitely easy to replace.

Aggressiveness: Very smooth, smoothest I tried for long time, but with unsatisfactory results compared to my other blades and razors.

I did not get along with, nor did I feel comfortable with the micro vibratione. it did not influence my resulty, so I left it off for further attempts.

The lubra strip started smearing. I had the sensation, that it actually built up and prevented a close shave. Though possibly it may just be incompatible with classic shaving soaps.

The head of the razor is too large for me to shave comfortable against the grain under my nose, I found the extra one blade side insufficient.

I switched to DE blades little over a year ago, and tried this razor, to compare, if I could actually get a similar result more comfortably than with my other razors. My personal conclusion is no. The only advantage it would offer, is being able to take it in my carry on for airline travel, but that is too little for me.

Still, this razor may be suited for anyone feeling comfortable with these systems and who does not want to pursue the techniques involved with classic razors.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
hightime0;327108 said:
I found that I got more ingrown hairs and razor bumps with this one then with my old mach 3 The shave was close but not worth the pain it put my face in if I have to use a cartridge I'll stick with the mach

My personal felling is this razor is Ok. However it just leaves too many bumps on my neck and my skin feels a little burnt after a shave. The main problem is the blue strip on the razor cartridge turns white after just a couple of shaves leaving the impression the the blade is worn out. The reality is the blade is fine but the strip causes the friction. After trying I will keep with my vintage Super Speed and my adjustable.
Top Bottom