What's new

Gillette Fusion Power (No Joke)

This is the "razor" that pushed me to switch to DE. First of all, the price is horrendous. Second, it does not give a clean shave. Finally, it causes constant irritation and razor bumps. The Fusion is definitely the Darth Vader of the shaving world.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I used this thing for 6 months until I used all the blades and didn't feel like dropping $18 Canadian for 4 cartridges.

I can say that this thing works, but only with the grain. With a DE I can do four passes (WTG, XTG, XTG, ATG) and end up with minimal burn and no bumps (my skin generally doesn't like ATG so a bit of burn is unavoidable). Taking the fusion WTG and once XTG gave me ingrowns, bumps and irritation. I didn't even dare take it ATG because I don't think I would have a face left.

I guess the Fusion is good if you need a shave quick because with one WTG pass it will get you smoother than a DE, but if you have the time to do multiple passes, a DE wins hands down. I still have the Fusion with no cartridges somewhere and I'm considering picking up a set of heads for it in case of emergency, but honestly, my Merkur HD gets me smoother with less irritation, which to me is worth the extra time.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Horrible...ripped my face to shreds
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
1.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I used this exclusively for about two years before I switched to DE's and still use it occasionally when I am in a huge hurry.

Pros:
- Gives a very close shave with less irritation than other cartridge razors
- Requires virtually no skill to use and you could probably get away with no shaving cream or aftershave (before you laugh.. I did this with a Mach3 for 30 days at Air Force boot camp)
- Vibration of razor does make it glide more smoothly over face
- Extra blade on back does a better job of trimming under the nose and sideburns than any other razor I have tried (DE or cartridge)
- Blades seem to last longer than Sensor/Mach3 blades
- Battery life is very good - about 6-9 months between changes

Cons:
- Cartridges are insanely expensive. It costs about $14.00 for a pack of 4, which will last 1-2 months depending on beard toughness and frequency of shaving. That adds up to between $80-$165 per year. For $165, you could buy a Merkur HD, 100 Derby blades, a C&E Best Badger Brush, a tub of Truefitt & Hill cream, a bottle of T&H Aftershave balm, and a bottle of witch hazel. Just saying.
- Fusion Power cartridges and standard Fusion cartridges are EXACTLY the same except for color, and either will fit on any Fusion razor. The problem is, the Fusion Power cartridges cost about $0.25 more per blade. This is a huge rip-off in my opinion and very dishonest on Gillette's part.
- Shaving with this is boring, nearly as boring as shaving with an electric. You rub a vibrating hunk of metal and plastic all over your face and then you're done. Yay.
- Did I mention that the cartridges are really, really expensive? The rate of increase in the expense of cartridges ($6.00 for 5 Sensor Excel blades to $14 for 4 Fusion blades in about 10 years) was what motivated me to switch to DE's in the first place.

Verdict: If you want a smooth shave as quickly as humanly possible and price is no object, this is the razor for you. It does its job well, but keep in mind that no amount of wet-shaving-related Acquisition Disorders could possibly cost you as much over your lifetime as shaving with these blades.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I finally opened my free fusion that came in the mail. I can't speak to the powered nature of this new model, but as for the rest of it.

The good: It's a cartridge, it does not get easier to change these blades. It also does not get any easier to shave. This razor could be operated while in a sleep deprived state, with heavy blood loss, and under the influence of mind control, all while hanging upside down... The shave is also pretty good, or at least good enough to shave the hair on my arm more smoothly than a Mach 3 (yeah, I wasn't going to try taking this one to my face, see the BAD). That said the experience told me that the Fusion could give one a DFS every time provided the cartridge was not too dull.

The bad: This is as balanced as a front loading washing machine full of spare change and a few bricks for good measure. The head is just to big, it feels like it's 3/4 the size of my upper lip. It didn't comfortably fit on my face and I didn't feel the need to try and make it fit. Adding a battery to the handle most likely would not have made things any better for the powered fusion.

Conclusion: If you want a DFS every day with no effort and no enjoyment then this is the razor for you. Also be prepared to pay dearly for it. If this is not for you, then move on as it can only get worse from here.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
1.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I actually love this razor. I use it most mornings. I get a better shave with fewer passes than with my Merkur 38 or Gillette DE's. The blades are very expensive, but I generally get almost a month out of each blade (I shave in the shower while the water is running), which may contribute to the longevity. However, I have noticed that I only get about a week out of my DE blades under the same conditions. I have also found that the "power" feature really does work for me in reducing razor drag. The non-powered Fusions do not work as well for me.
Some people can, I briefly owned a Fusion and i got a month to 1 1/2 months out of a the blades, however I only shave once every 3 days so realisticly the blades lasted me 10-15 straight days of use, I have a rough beard, those who have softer beards may get longer out of theirs, it varies from person to person. One thing I will say is the cartridges are severely over priced, especially if you go through them every 3-5 days.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
over priced for average shave and the blades are over priced (almost cheaper to buy a new razor all together)
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I got this razor when it first came out, it doesn't seem any different from any of the other razors gillette released in the last 10 yrs or so. I think its silly that they keep changing the colors of the handles, its the same no matter what, what does changing the color of the handle do. Nevertheless the single blade on the back is amazing for sideburns, in fact thats really all I use it for now anyway, overall its not to bad though i would prefer my Mach 3 AOS hybrid, or my safety or straight razors
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Thanks for the advice guys. To be honest with you, I don't think that the Fusion is that bad. I had a sample laying around and decided to try it out this morning. Much better, smooth and close shave then anything I ever used.

I am considering other options. Check out my intro/newbie post...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74295
Before finding the B&B this was the only razor I used. I didn't know any better. I thought if my Mach 3 was good (LMAO) with 3 blades the Fusion must be awesome with 4 (again LMAO) and the added single blade on the back would have been perfect for getting under the nose and trimming up the burns. Does it work yes, is it any better than a Mach 3 only slightly. Is it fit to sit on the same shelf or in the same cabinet as any of Gillette's early offerings (DE specifically) not a chance in H-E-double hockey sticks! If you need the novelty of avibrating razor just find yourself a Stahly Live Blade (they actually shave pretty decent).
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I started shaving 35 years ago with a DE and a can of foaming goo. Used disposables and cartridges since and worked my way through the Gillette product line as the new and shiny models hit the market. (Switched to a brush and soap 15+ years ago and haven't looked back.) When the Fusion came out it reminded me of the Saturday Night Live episode where the latest razor was a Venetian blind. When the Fusion Power hit the shelves at COSTCO I was the first in line. It works. I get a close shave with a single pass and a few touch ups around the edges. No bumps, no ingrown hairs, no pain. In the almost 2 years I've used the Fusion I've been cut 3 or 4 times, mostly from pimples or other facial anomalies. You basically have to smack yourself with the thing to cut yourself. I can generally get 15 - 20 shaves out of a cartridge before the closeness becomes unacceptable. The quality goes down after 5 or 6 shaves but not enough to make me change the cartridge. The motor in the first one died -- Gillette customer serviced replaced it quickly and sent a postage paid envelope for me to return the old one for inspection. Oh, BTW, I'm a full head shaver so cover twice the real estate with the cartridge. No cuts, scrapes or burns on the noggin either.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I used this razor for a long time and consistently got razor irritation along with a lot of ingrown hairs. Recently changed over to a Merkur 38c and love it! Blades are cheaper, shave is better...what more could you want?
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Meh?

The non-powered Fusion was the last cartridge razor I ever used... While it brought shaving down to drunk-monkey levels of skill requirement, it gave my neck razor burn quite badly.
I was looking at the cost of replacement cartridges when I picked up a DE Fat boy for $3 (from a Farmer's market of all places!)... a set of generic PTFE coated blades from the dept. store and I haven't looked back.
So, I'd have to say... easy to use, but very expensive and possibly hard the neck area. (As always, YMMV)
Surely all this misses the point. The kind of people who read and post on this forum consider shaving an art not a chore!!! It is precisely because it requires practice and skill using traditional safety razors that men use them. NOTHING would give a better shave than my Futur with a Derby or my Slant bar with a feather. It would not be physically possible to shave the hairs any shorter. For me and for the majority of shavers here, the whole process is a Zen ritual using beautifully made chrome plated brass tools the will last for lifetimes. The added bonus is that the blades are about an order of magnitude more economical! I KNOW that the constant modification and increasing complexity of multi blades razors is about PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE and MAKING MORE MONEY. The razor manufacturers are just taking everyone for a ride. Who gives a toss if David Beckham or Tiger Woods uses a multi bladed monstrosity. David Beckham, (A British footballing has been and cult figure), normally sports designer stubble anyway.
I use several brands of blade including the dreaded feathers. I ALWAYS get a BB shave and NEVER cut myself. I just took the time to develop the appropriate skills to shave properly!
Cheers,
Martin
D
I used the Fusion Power before I recently switched to DE shaving. It gave a decent shave with very little effort.

The price killed it for me, £8 for four cartridges is shocking.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I currently use a Mach 3 and my DE is on its way!!! When I told my best buddy I was entering the world of DE he criticized me and said I should go with the Fusion.

How should I respond?
The best head-shaver I've ever used - by a Country Mile. Requires no skill - so I can wizz round my noggin in about 90 seconds flat resulting in a super-smooth shave every time.

Too expensive for me to use as an every day face-shaver but great for a couple of times a week on the old bonce - cheaper than going to a hairdresser anyway.
Hi All,

I must really be in the minority, but I get great shaves with the Fusion Power razor. I don't use the power mode, but I prefer the larger handle and the Power blades are said to have a special coating by Gillette. They do seem smoother that the non power blades. I just absolutely can't nick myself, and get what I deem to be a BBS shave with my favorite cream. That said, I do like to have a weekend shave with a DE. It's fun to take time with my Grandfather's old adjustable and ladies (blue handle with sparkles - LOL) Gillettes. I get good shaves with them. I'm very new to DEs, and have only tried Personna USA, and Merkur blades. So far, I prefer the Personna. Maybe I'm still gun shy using a DE, but my Fusion can give me a very smooth face in a few minutes with no nick worries, burn, bumps, or extra care in razor handling.

The cartridges are a lot more expensive than the DE blades, and I used this as an incentive to give them a try, but in the end I'll pay the difference for the safety, speed, and closeness the Fusion gives me.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I've had a couple of these. In two, the motors have died. The motor makes a phenomenal difference in the quality of the shave, but I am done.

I'm switching to a DE this week.

I've been using soap and a brush since I was old enough to shave, over 30 years ago. I've used the Techmatic (remember that?), the Schick Injector (I miss that one), used a Wilkinson Sword cartridge (single blade edge, fixed in a plastic head) until the blades disappeared, and an array of multi-edge cartridge razors over the years.

The Fusion was the best of the cartridge razors, but the cost is way too high.

Merkur, here I come....
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly