What's new

2018 Shave Purchase Sabbatical , Snoopy versus The Red Baron

is it too early to start talking 2019 sabbatical? I might have enough stuff currently to get me through the year, although I'm not sitting on a ton of product.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
is it too early to start talking 2019 sabbatical? I might have enough stuff currently to get me through the year, although I'm not sitting on a ton of product.
The annual thread is usually started by a member at the beginning of December for sign-ups. It's still too early to begin the actual 2019 thread, but it's never too early to start yakking about it in here.

well then I might get what I need for the year, which would be some more blades and one more soap/cream and I'll be golden, I'm really thinking this might be kind of fun to do!

Hi, I'm still in. No temptations yet. I still have a lot of soaps to finish, several of them untested yet. Also trying to finish some aftershaves bought before. I have a big supply of my favourite blades plus several untested yet, so I think I'm good until the end of 2019 at least.
Between a Rockwell S6, a Fatip Piccolo and an EJ Kevin (plus several straight razors, in case I got bored) I'm covered on the hardware front.

#63 still in!

I shave every other day. These 20 minutes are so relaxing, looking forward to them every time.
I am close to finishing a couple of soaps and thinking of using a Nuavia exclusively when these are gone. I bought the Blu and the Rossa in September 2015 and they're still about 80% full... And they're wonderful soaps.

#62 still in!!

Sorry for the late update. I have some items on my shopping list, but they can all wait until the calendar says 2019. I just hope I don't have a relapse explosion of purchases in the new year... :D

Actually this has been a really good exercise to just take a step back and assess what do I really need, and what I can splurge a little for the sake of variety and enjoyment.

I aim to buy myself some Christmas presents as a reward for completing the Sabbatical. Russian Orthodox Christmas presents, that is... :santa:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
#62 still in!!

Sorry for the late update. I have some items on my shopping list, but they can all wait until the calendar says 2019. I just hope I don't have a relapse explosion of purchases in the new year... :D

Actually this has been a really good exercise to just take a step back and assess what do I really need, and what I can splurge a little for the sake of variety and enjoyment.

I aim to buy myself some Christmas presents as a reward for completing the Sabbatical. Russian Orthodox Christmas presents, that is... :santa:
Wants-vs-needs ..... Maslow would be proud :thumbsup:

Been basically away from the forum since my last update: Still in!

There was some temptation, but got this as a blade instead of the tempting razor:

20181009_100705.jpg

...I shave every other day...

This is me. I know there are guys who can barely make 8 hours, but between slow beard growth and my beard and skin color being close, I can generally get two work days (roughly 36 hrs) on a 2 pass, straight shave. Much beyond that, and I'm rocking the hobo look. Probably accounts for slow supply usage.

This is me. I know there are guys who can barely make 8 hours, but between slow beard growth and my beard and skin color being close, I can generally get two work days (roughly 36 hrs) on a 2 pass, straight shave. Much beyond that, and I'm rocking the hobo look. Probably accounts for slow supply usage.

Same for me. I don't need to be clean shaven for work, so it's just up to my own personal comfort. My face starts to itch after about 4 or 5 days of growth, so I usually shave every 2nd or 3rd day. It used to be every 3rd or 4th when shaving with carts and canned goo, but I enjoy shaving so much more now, I've increased the frequency. I'd like to shave every day, but I get much better post shave feel if I give at least 48 hours between shaves.

When I got into DE shaving late last year, I wanted to try all the recommended soaps and creams, and quickly had a modest collection of about 15 (roughly half soaps, half creams). It's not much, but at the rate that I'm going, that could last me close to a decade.

Sometimes I just use shaving soap to wash my face, even when I'm not shaving. :) I did that a lot when I was starting out, just to get practice with lathering different products and to try out the scents.

Hi,

I shave once a day, but could use two per day. I have all this vintage Oster tallow soap I tripped across. And, I cut those little pucks in half to add 1/4 of a puck of modern Carden Farms (bigger pucks you see) glycerine soap in an Old Spice mug. That then lasts me a year and a half.

I use two blades per month, with that soap mix being quite efficient. Plus, blades last a bit longer in a Slant razor. So, I don't need blades but on the order of every four years.

BTW, I put up a puck of that Oster soap in the auction. Blatent plug, as it were. ;)

Stan - Still In

Yea, I am still very,very out. On the plus side I added A bunch of new DEs, a new razor rack, a3 GEMs, 5 injectors, blades for all of them, 5 new Stirling soaps (yep this is my favorite soap now), and 2 new badger brushes and another new knot for my Rubberset. If i had stayed out I never would have found all this joy, and a new favorite brand of soap. Oh yea almost forgot all the wonderful Japanese SE blades, some Stirling EDT, AS and something else I am sure I am forgetting. Best part is, with the SE, I found gorgeous ones for between $ and $10 each. One has a near perfect Bakelite case with the blade banks and the other has a great condition metal/ vinyl/whatever covered one. It was a good year to splurge. I also picked up a couple of hard to find out of print ones and sold off all my vintage Gillettes. I am very glad I caved. I still have all teh Avon Bottles

That all being said, a PIF for you guys still holding strong. A glass bottle of Aqua Velva AS, prolly 2/3 full, a 80-90% full Clubman Draggon Noir and a bottle of Avon Wild Country in some shaped bottle. I can't remember which one has it. The first two are below for visual reference.

What I want from you for an entry is simple. Tell me the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you :) I love these other PIFs that make me laugh, and I think this is going to be good. I had an embarassing moment yesterday, which made me come up with this idea. I was a the dermatologist for my annual checkup. The nurse was young and absolutely gorgeous. She hands me the paper gown, tells me to strip down to just my underwear. I know this is coming from past experiences, so I dressed appropriately for the Doc. He comes in shortly after. He brings a male resident, and the nurse saunters in behind him. She closes the door and leans back into the corner and just looks at me the whole entire time. I'm middle aged, 90% naked and out of shape. I could feel her eyes on me the whole time. Why?!?!?! I think she is evil.

So that might not be my most embarrassing thing ever, but I started it off, and I have the Tuxedo incident in my pocket still for later. If there is a close call I may do a second place with some other Aftershave or have a face off! :) Fair is fair right? So gents, ready, set go!

20181015_110313.jpg

Hi,

Tomorrow, The Auction begins! So, now that y'all have Saved Big so far this year, go and Bid High, Bid Often and Win! ;)

Seriously. The Auction is an auto-exemption. :)

Stan - Sounding a lot like a Darth Lord. :p

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The auction is well underway! A few items are already up >=$400, showing how generous our fellow B&Bers are! Be sure to head on over and check things out.

As Stan mentioned, the Sue fundraiser is a sabbatical-exempt event, so open your wallet and let those moths out! After almost 10 months locked away, they need air!

Top Bottom