What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Don't take a Feather blade lightly. After 6 shaves and thinking that you tamed the mighty blade it can still cause a decent nick if not paying attention.

Nacets are really fine blades! I used one earlier and got a smooth close shave. It was shave number eight with it.

I am working my through a sample tuck of Nacets and am really enjoying them. I’ve gotten 5-7 shaves from the first two blades. Might be a keeper for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Still didn't learn about paying attention with the Feather blade. Shave 7 opened up the same nick as yesterday.

Some top tier blades are smooth right out of the wrapper (like the Nacet I just finished), others require a shave or two to settle down (like this Personna lab).

This from another site I contribute to! Thought it might be interesting to a few folks.
I daily shave most of the time
and was curious how much stubble of the beard is mowed down each day. I like the feel of smooth skin like most who do shave daily.
When I get a BBS shave I know that I'm slicing the hair very low to the skin and DFS just leaves the hair ever so slightly above the skin or flush which is a more a healthier shave IMO because you not slicing small parts of the skin off to get that BBS. So we have to see what the whiskers look like under the microscope to get a clearer picture of what happens.:shaving:View attachment 909200

This is what a one day's growth looks like 400X magnification for most folks who shave daily. So getting a DFS or CCS is all right because you would not tell a whole lot of difference in this 24 hr later photograph because it would be like .0005 thousands of inch difference compared to a BBS IMO. So when you feel your skin after shaving and barely feel those whiskers we are talking small #'s like around .0005 thousands of a inch(1/8 of a average persons hair Diameter) IMO. Most folks can still barley feel .0005 thousands of a inch.
This is a fresh DFS>bbs using my Gillette British 1950's TTO rocket (Astra SS (3)just to show the difference what it looks like(400x approx magnification same spot of the beard )View attachment 909205
I must be a shaving Enthusiast ......:out::w00t::confused::a46:

I just saw this. Very interesting. What kind of device did you use to get these photos?

That it is possible to nick myself on the cheek, even though that part of my face is nearly flat. A tiny nick, now; I didn't even notice it until after breakfast, some 20 minutes after I finished the shave. But a nick nevertheless.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just saw this. Very interesting. What kind of device did you use to get these photos?
I'm glade You enjoy those photos, The device I used is called the Andonstar 500X usb microscope with different attachments with the aluminum base and adjustable stand. Just a great magnifier for weak eyes like mine and if you have hobby's like knife sharpening or stamp collecting or coin collecting you will enjoy it even more with details coming livid. The microscope is used with s7 edge android phone with MScopes app or Microsoft 10 style laptop. I custom sharpen my knifes at home to improve the knife edge and the magnifier lets me see the results better.

I'm glade You enjoy those photos, The device I used is called the Andonstar 500X usb microscope with different attachments with the aluminum base and adjustable stand. Just a great magnifier for weak eyes like mine and if you have hobby's like knife sharpening or stamp collecting or coin collecting you will enjoy it even more with details coming livid. The microscope is used with s7 edge android phone with MScopes app or Microsoft 10 style laptop. I custom sharpen my knifes at home to improve the knife edge and the magnifier lets me see the results better.
Very cool. Thank you.

My Feather AS-D2 with a Feather blade gives an incredibly smooth, close shave. For some unexplained reason, this is the only razor that I can get more than 2 or 3 shaves with a Feather blade.

I learned that Rockwell R4 plate is my favorite and that I waited WAY too long to try Stirling Soap. Margaritas in the Arctic is my new favorite. Great slickness, nice cushion...perfect shave!

I'm learning that I need to stop chasing a better shave. It might not exist for me.

Both the baby smooth and old type by razorock were disappointing... Or maybe it was the Astra SP blades? I'll try them for another week, but I'm already itching to scrap them and go back to my RR 6c with a Feather.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That I need to take a day off from shaving. My shave with the Slim on Tuesday morning was fine, no irritation, but I plan to use the Slim again with the setting much higher as an experiment. I think 24 hours' growth is not really enough beard for that.

I reconfirmed that Rockwell R4 is the correct plate for me. Today, I dropped back to R3 and I noticed the lost efficiency right away.

I tried to do a third (and last) pass with a Gillette Slim Adjustable, going true-ATG, after the two usual WTG and XTG passes with a straight razor. Holy irritation, Batman! A Blue Astra with a setting of 2 and (I guess and hope) zero pressure and a conservative angle gave me so much irritation and razor burn!

Disclaimer: I have never used a DE razor before, just 6 months of shavette and then one year of straight razors.

I want to grow a fashionable modern beard and I wonder if I can cut it myself and generally care for it? Due to congestion at work, there is no time to go to the barbershop regularly. I looked at some emjoi erase epilator reviews and I had the impression that it's not so difficult

This morning I tried opening the Slim's throttle all the way: setting 9 for 2 passes plus touch-up. An interesting experiment, with no irritation and a good close mowing . . . but I'm not sure I'll try it again. The NEW SC seems to handle my 2-day growth just as well.

Top Bottom