What's new

What made you happy today?

A hummingbird came to the feeder on the kitchen window (again), and stayed there for a minute or two while I watched it from 3 feet away.

SWMBO made a bunch of South-Western Quinoa Salad. It is my favourite salad-like dish.

My sons' apartment mate did a hard factory reset on their router, and lost all the settings. I managed to get them going again.

Maybe didn't make me happy but did make me chuckle... Automobile Club, AAA tow truck driver with a car up and ready to tow, trying to break into the cab of his locked tow truck.

dave

I saw some good friends today that love out of state. I shot a few of my higher end custom slingshots (another hobby of mine) and was very surprised to win a giveaway.

Had a completely impromptu day with my wife and 2 year old. Nice in this age of pre-planned play dates and such. Played at a new park in town, went to a local children's farm festival, went to a new restaurant for lunch and finished with ice-cream at my childhood favorite parlor.

Serviceberries on our tree are ripening so the resident chipmunk and robins are having a good time feasting.

One tomato with the first blush of red, ripe tomatoes from our garden in June!

Sugar snap peas ready to start picking.

dave

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Fixed a small water leak in the basement this morning and finally got around to doing my routine, sure miss easy water at the tap in the morning but all is good now.
Have some great shaves.

Had a completely impromptu day with my wife and 2 year old. Nice in this age of pre-planned play dates and such. Played at a new park in town, went to a local children's farm festival, went to a new restaurant for lunch and finished with ice-cream at my childhood favorite parlor.

Born to be Wild! Throw caution to the wind and just go for it, make it up as you go along, sounds like it was great day!

Here's to many more just like it.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Playing Go Fishing and Operation with my granddaughter.

92A2F4D7-93CE-459A-8C44-C762EC9E3989.jpeg

I had a good shopping experience today, at the Canadian Tire store. (All kinds of goodies there besides tires.)
We went looking for a new microwave since ours crapped out last week.
The store had free WIFI so I was able to look up (on my iPod) more details about this particular model we were looking at. It went into the cart.
Then I went back to the plumbing section to look for a Moen #1222 cartridge for our tub/shower control which had started dribbling hot water a few days ago. I thought "geez, this could be expensive. They run $70-$80 on-line". I could not locate one on the shelf, so I asked an employee. Mysteriously, it was not sufficient to give here the make and model number. She had to see it. So, I ggogled the cartridge on on my iPod and their WIFI, and was able to show her a picture of it. She said "we may have something for free in the back. Wait here".
("Free"?)
Needless to say, I waited ... right there.
She comes back with the correct type, and a Moen brand, no less.
o_O I could not see any price or bar code sticker on it, so I asked "Uh ...what do I do with this at the checkout?" She said "Put it in your pocket and go out the door." :thumbup:
I knew that Moen had something like a life-time warranty on it, but I really would have expected more paperwork.

We had to go through the checkout anyway, because of the conspicuously large microwave box in the cart. As it turned out, it was marked down $20 from the price that was listed on the shelf.
So, "Yay" again!

SWMBO and I decided to spend some of the money we saved by going out to a Japanese restaurant for supper, which we had been considering doing for a few days anyway. Then it was on to another restaurant for dessert. Raspberry Sorbet ... yum.

But wait, there's more.
When we had our bathroom renovated I specifically asked for a little access panel cut into the drywall and framed in such a way that I could get at the hot and cold water shutoff valves simply by prying off the trim with a paint scraper. Without that panel, I would have had to shut off the whole house. The panel came off with no damage to the rest of the wall, so now I can shut it off when I'm not about to have a shower. I'll be super busy for the next week and a half, and this gives me some time to put off the repair.

While doing some house cleaning over the weekend I came across a holiday card that a friend had sent me two years ago. In it I found a $25 Lowes gift card that I had forgotten about. Yesterday I went to Lowes and found a pretty cool 'tactical' flashlight for $25. Score! I needed some batteries which were $8 of my own money, but that's okay.

The cashier's English language skills weren't all that great and she seemed a little confused about the gift card. She rang up everything, bagged it, handed the card back to me and said that I had $17 left on the card. I had to slowly and repeatedly explain that she must not have charged me for the flashlight. Finally she understood and rang up the flashlight using the gift card and I paid the difference. My change was five cents.

What made me feel good was the way she kept thanking me and saying how honest I was. I walked out of the store thinking, "I AM honest! I'm a really good person!" That evening when I got home and emptied my pockets I discovered that she had given me a quarter in change instead of a nickel. Now the question is, am I honest enough to go back to Lowes to return the twenty cents? Ummm...I'll have to think about it.

Maybe it would be okay karma-wise if I put the quarter in one of those Red Cross jars at the gas station.

Met up with an old co-worker this morning for coffee.
She single handedly raised six really good kids after her sleazebag husband up and left her some fifty years ago. She got into radio sales and finally retired about four years ago at the age of 88. During that time she essentially became the den mother to a whole station of reprobates and degenerates. When my future wife and I were working in the same office, I’d pick up the future Mrs. Tirebiter at her home to go to work. For the longest time “Auntie” thought we were, horrors, Living In Sin. Years later when my young sons came to the office for a visit, “Auntie” would hunt them down and press candies into their grubby little mitts (Werthers caramels of course).
Several days ago one of the other sales guys at the station sent me a note that “Auntie” had been in hospital after a possible stroke. I sent a note off to her daughter offering our best wishes. The daughter replied her Mom was out of hospital and would be resuming this Friday morning her regular weekly meet-ups At Tim’s with her boys in the sales department.
After a nice shave with MWF and a touch of Old Spice aftershave I headed out for my first meet-up with some of my former co-workers since my unceremonious heave-ho about ten months ago.
“Auntie” was genuinely surprised to see me, as were some of the other guys. She was in fine spirits and admitted this was one of her better days in awhile and was pleased to be seen in public surrounded by so many handsome men.
It was great to see my old friend and I promised her I would try to make more of these sit-downs in the future, if she wanted me. She laughed and said she’d look forward to having another “retired” old fart at the table to keep her company since the other guys were too wrapped up in their work.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Met up with an old co-worker this morning for coffee.
She single handedly raised six really good kids after her sleazebag husband up and left her some fifty years ago. She got into radio sales and finally retired about four years ago at the age of 88. During that time she essentially became the den mother to a whole station of reprobates and degenerates. When my future wife and I were working in the same office, I’d pick up the future Mrs. Tirebiter at her home to go to work. For the longest time “Auntie” thought we were, horrors, Living In Sin. Years later when my young sons came to the office for a visit, “Auntie” would hunt them down and press candies into their grubby little mitts (Werthers caramels of course).
Several days ago one of the other sales guys at the station sent me a note that “Auntie” had been in hospital after a possible stroke. I sent a note off to her daughter offering our best wishes. The daughter replied her Mom was out of hospital and would be resuming this Friday morning her regular weekly meet-ups At Tim’s with her boys in the sales department.
After a nice shave with MWF and a touch of Old Spice aftershave I headed out for my first meet-up with some of my former co-workers since my unceremonious heave-ho about ten months ago.
“Auntie” was genuinely surprised to see me, as were some of the other guys. She was in fine spirits and admitted this was one of her better days in awhile and was pleased to be seen in public surrounded by so many handsome men.
It was great to see my old friend and I promised her I would try to make more of these sit-downs in the future, if she wanted me. She laughed and said she’d look forward to having another “retired” old fart at the table to keep her company since the other guys were too wrapped up in their work.
Cool, and Werthers caramels are the best.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Neighbor is moving. Bought his lawnmower for $75. Three months old, with box, was $350.

Just mowed. IT FLIES! IT CUTS GRASS LIKE A NEW RAZOR! WHY HAVE I BEEN SUFFERING WITH THAT OLD #@$&+$#@ MOWER!

Bless the good neighbor. May good follow him all his days.

AA

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Parents' wedding anniversary. Went out for a meal. First time me, my brothers, my parents AND all three nieces, have all been in the same place at the same time.

Top Bottom