What's new

agressive adjustables

So I've found that I'm generally more succsessful with more aggressive razors. I started low, and then jumped up to an r41, and have now backed down to a RR slant... Thing is, I can get a strangely comfortable shave with a black 7 o'clock. Which seems strange, I'm trying to work my way down to more middle range razors. Which gave me the idea of using an adjustable. But I question what sort of adjustable razor would even begin to compare to a slant, or an r41.

I know the obvious answer is the futur, but i've seen/heard a lot about how gigantic the head is, and i'd like to not deal with that under my nose. Would a Gillette Slim or Fat begin to compare even at 9?

None of the Gillette adjustable models are R41 aggressive, but do compare well to the Futur or one of it's clones. I own a MingShi (Futur Clone) and an example of each Gillette. (Prudent eBay sniping). The MingShi on around 4-4.5 yields a comparable shave to my Fat-Boy or Slim on 9, and all are comfortable at those settings. - Yes, you'll feel the blade, but it isn't harsh. All are capable of giving a very nice shave and easily BBS.

As for the head, I don't personally have an issue, although the side tabs on the MingShi are a mm or so shorter than on a real Futur. (I don't thing that would affect under the nose, but who knows). The Slim & Super-Adjustable have the most shallow head, and the Super Adjustable seems to feel and work more aggressive than the Slim or Fat-Boy, but YMMV. - The Super Adjustable models also seem to go for less than a Slim or Fat-Boy, with the Fat-Boy being the more expensive model.

I'm not necessarily looking to match my R41, but maybe find something that can at least compete with my slant.

I also recommend a Futur clone. You can find them for super cheap, and if you don't like the size of the head, you are not out much money. I think I paid $10 for mine. I can get a super close shave with mine, although perhaps not R41 close.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I'm not necessarily looking to match my R41, but maybe find something that can at least compete with my slant.
I have an R41, FB and Slim. The FB and Slim on 9 are not as efficient for me as the R41. I wish that were not the case, because it’s really cool to shave with the vintage Gillettes. The R41 is just too good.

Futur or Parker Variant. To me
Futur is more aggressive. Gillette slim is a pretty mild razor for me. Never used s fatboy.

M

member 119848

And how about a Rockwell?
It´s not R41 agressive but on setting #6 it provides enough efficiency to take down multiple days of hair growth. It´s a middle–range agressive razor that can ajust down to very mild. And although the head seems bulky, the thinness of the cap allows plenty of manoeuvrability under the nose.

rockwell could be cool- seems like a waist of the system when I already have SO many other razors... IDK. I think its a cool concept but somthing about it just doesn't sell me. Maybe because I think i'd never use the other two plates...

I started out with a Futur and worked it up to 3. When I set it to 4 it got a little bit too aggressive for me.

I have a Fatboy, fast becoming a favorite, and went all the way to 9 with it. Eventually I found that I was nicking myself a little to often and so I backed it down to 8. It seems to cruise right along at 8.

I had been switching weekly between Merkur and Feather blades. Last week I ordered Nacets, GSBs, KAIs, and PolSilvers. I’m using the Nacet in the Fatboy at 8 and finding it to be very nice. I doubt I’ll ever order more Merkur blades. So the blade is a big factor, as you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the FB @8 with a feather to get a good shave. The 6S@6 is too inefficient for me and takes forever to get a BBS. I have the REX Ambassador which I love and use on the highest setting for the first pass and then down to 4 or 5. I only use three blades. The Polsilver, the Feather and the Personna tungsten 74 (NOS). They are all super efficient, smooth blades. The Feather and polsilver last me for 3 shaves tops, the Personna is currently on its seventh with no signs of deterioration.

I find the Rockwell gets slightly closer than my Slim or FB after 3 passes, on par with the MingShi. (MingShi at upper setting can remove more the 1st pass) - But not as close or efficient as the Timeless Bronze OC....by far the most aggressive razor I own, it just mows down anything, but can create some irritation with some blades.

I find the Rockwell gets slightly closer than my Slim or FB after 3 passes, on par with the MingShi. (MingShi at upper setting can remove more the 1st pass) - But not as close or efficient as the Timeless Bronze OC....by far the most aggressive razor I own, it just mows down anything, but can create some irritation with some blades.

Is your Rockwell with plate 6 the second most aggressive razor you have? I am so tempted by this bronze...

And how about a Rockwell?

General consensus on another thread with a pass around for Rockwell 6s is that it’s a mild razor overall and not overly aggressive even at higher plate settings — so maybe not what the OP is looking for. (Keep in mind not from personal experience since I’ve never used a Rockwell).

I tend toward aggressive razors for my beard/face. As example, i daily shave with an ATT R1; sometimes an h plate and find the ATT S1 or 89 series— while nice shavers — pretty mild for me; same with Gillette adjustables or any low settings on the Parker Variant. One of the reasons I’ve shied away from a Rockwell.

To me, the Futur (or clone) would likely be your best bet for an aggressive adjustable from personal experience.

However I’ve also read the Rockwell 6c (or 2c?) was more aggressive with possibly different plate blade exposure/angles than the 6s. (Just want this out there for the OP or anyone else reading this thread to check out some other threads that address this topic).
Cheers!

I like aggressive razors. I frequently use the R41 and ATT H2. My personal opinion is that the Merkur Futur is more aggressive than the Q Shave clone. In its highest setting it is comparable to both the Muhle and ATT.

I also shave with the Progress and the Parker Variant. Both are plenty aggressive for me. The Parker is by far my favourite adjustable and gives a great range from aggressive to very mild.

The Rockwell 6C is more aggressive than the 6S. I’ve posted elsewhere why this is so. Neither of the Rockwells are anywhere near as aggressive as the other adjustable razors YMMV.

Is the Q shave of decent quality? Seems to be a bit cheep as its like 1/4 the price.

I thought it was good quality, but just didn’t get as good shave as with the Futur. Bought it for travel, but then got my hands on a cheap Progress so I got rid of the Q Shave.

Take this with a grain of salt (as I prefer mild/moderate razors).

To me it seems that your requirements describe the Future of Progress well!

Top Bottom