What's new

Aspen

If you know, how does the current version compare to the vintage version? In particular, does the vintage have better tenacity than the current version? But also, complexity--I am guessing vintage is considerably more complex given the stated similarity to GIT.

I really hate the pursuit of vintage frags on some levels and once promised myself I would get out of scents as a hobby if I ever found myself obsessed with tracking them down and acquiring them. But there is no doubt that a vintage version of a particular scent is often very different than a current version and I can think of no instances off the top of my head where the current version is better than the original. Sometimes they are of equal quality to my nose. Guerlian Vetiver might be an example, although I much prefer the vintage. Most often the original is far better. A clear example of this would be Aramis Havana. This frequent decline in quality is probably due to multiple reasons.

Essentially contemporaneous tweaking does not count. IA would be an example--differences in some scents, but certainly no decline in quality, ever.
If you know, how does the current version compare to the vintage version? In particular, does the vintage have better tenacity than the current version? But also, complexity--I am guessing vintage is considerably more complex given the stated similarity to GIT.

I really hate the pursuit of vintage frags on some levels and once promised myself I would get out of scents as a hobby if I ever found myself obsessed with tracking them down and acquiring them. But there is no doubt that a vintage version of a particular scent is often very different than a current version and I can think of no instances off the top of my head where the current version is better than the original. Sometimes they are of equal quality to my nose. Guerlian Vetiver might be an example, although I much prefer the vintage. Most often the original is far better. A clear example of this would be Aramis Havana. This frequent decline in quality is probably due to multiple reasons.

Essentially contemporaneous tweaking does not count. IA would be an example--differences in some scents, but certainly no decline in quality, ever.

The only vintage I've tracked down is a bottle of English Leather, simply because it was one of my first colognes when I was a teen and I wanted the exact thing. Well worth the $30 I spent on it.

My recollection is vintage English Leather is very different from the current version. In fact, I assume it evolved quite a bit over the years, similar to Old Spice's evolution and the variation in Old Spice from country to country that is sometimes remarked upon.

I think lack of tenacity is a frequent shortfall of less expensive scents, although I do not think that bothers me as much as it does some folks. I think a loss of tenacity is a frequent occurrence in going from older formulations to newer formulations, too.

...I think lack of tenacity is a frequent shortfall of less expensive scents, although I do not think that bothers me as much as it does some folks. I think a loss of tenacity is a frequent occurrence in going from older formulations to newer formulations, too.

I agree.

It seems that various ingredients have been banned over the years for one reason or another and that lack has changed vintage fragrances. Some are aroma changes, and others are related to tenacity. Long time users will notice the difference more than newbs.
I for one can't remember ever using English Leather. But I'm wanting to buy some. Since I never got used to the vintage scent I wont have a comparison going on when I try the new formula. All I'll have is whether I like it or not.

There is a lot on-line about the "banning" of certain fragrance ingredients, for those who are interested. I personally suspect that actual "bans," with the exception perhaps of oakmoss, are not the real culprit in formulation changes. For one thing, I suspect that there has been a huge move away from natural ingredients for lots of reasons, including cost, consistency, allergies, and others.

I agree.

It seems that various ingredients have been banned over the years for one reason or another and that lack has changed vintage fragrances. Some are aroma changes, and others are related to tenacity. Long time users will notice the difference more than newbs.
I for one can't remember ever using English Leather. But I'm wanting to buy some. Since I never got used to the vintage scent I wont have a comparison going on when I try the new formula. All I'll have is whether I like it or not.

I've never experienced "vintage" Aspen, the new formula is great to my nose, definitely one of my favorites. Does it take a few more sprays than others? Sure, but at $7 or whatever it was I'm not too concerned..

In my experience, tenacity weaknesses may not be resolved by bigger initial applications, but sometimes are. Even where they are, one may want a longish drive to work so that the initial application can settle down.

There is always reapplication as well. But I have never been tempted to reapply anything during, say, a work day. Top notes of most scents are usually stronger than what I want to be wearing around people.

I may well be overly cautious.

In my experience, tenacity weaknesses may not be resolved by bigger initial applications, but sometimes are. Even where they are, one may want a longish drive to work so that the initial application can settle down.

There is always reapplication as well. But I have never been tempted to reapply anything during, say, a work day. Top notes of most scents are usually stronger than what I want to be wearing around people.

I may well be overly cautious.

I'm VERY cautious myself as well.. I drive kids to school in the morning. I've been thinking of bringing a cologne with me to apply after I've dropped them off! :lol:

I apply a couple hours before I’m around a lot of people. I never reapply either unless I’m alone.

My bottle of Aspen arrived from Amazon yesterday. It will take me a while to form a reliable opinion. So far, smells kind of like a greenish Cool Water. Powerful and synthetic on initial application, which seems a little off-putting. Calms down to something rather subdued and pleasant, with some complexity, but arguably not much richness. I understand the references to GIT. This was never on my radar as something very popular back in any day, so I do not have the qualms about wearing it I have about something like Aramis, English Leather, or even 1-12, perhaps even Gray Flannel--not that I would not wear any of those, perhaps, ironically.

Folks on this forum frequently ask about inexpensive but good scents. Does not get much less expensive than this. I like this one a lot so far.

I'm seeing $8 ... scent profile compares to Pino Silvestre?

AA

I wouldn’t make really any comparison of Aspen to Pino. They do both have a freshness to them, but the scent profile of Aspen is, IMO, sort of a manlier version of Davidoff Cool Water: less sweetness and airy-floral-ness and more woodyness.

Pino Silvestre also has woodyness, but the conifer of Pino is cranked up to 11 where it’s maybe a 4 in Aspen; you know it’s there, but it’s not the main player. There is also a Mediterranean spiciness in Pino that isn’t present in Aspen.

I would add that if you do like Pino Silvestre you’d likely also like Aspen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With regard to vintage Aspen: I’ve smelled both and the current formula smells 99% identical to the “vintage” I smelled 20 years ago. The scent is permanently branded into my brain from one of my classmates spilling an entire splash bottle on the floor in my 8th grade science class. The strength has been taken down a hair in the current formula (dilution), which in the case of Aspen isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Even in its current diluted formula it still projects like a beast on me and lasts a decent amount of time.

English Leather is another story.... I’ve owned the last four iterations/formulas of English Leather - the late 90s MEM formula, early 00s Dana formula, the mid-late 00s Dana formula, and the latest (15+) Dana formula. The latest formula, with its cool vintage-y packaging and label smells, IMO, more like MEM’s last/Dana’s first formula than the last iteration (about 05-15). There seems to be much brighter and cleaner citrus and leather notes in the current version, which may or may not be due to it not having sat in a non-climate-controlled warehouse for close to a decade; which, now that I’ve typed/thought it out, makes a decent excuse for the later stuff, but not back when it was fresh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great notes. I have not had the very latest version. The last version I had did not line up all that well with the one I remember from the 1960s. Your points about the effects of non-temperature controlled warehousing, etc. are apt, though.

<The strength has been taken down a hair in the current formula (dilution), which in the case of Aspen isn’t necessarily a bad thing.>

Spot on! This stuff goes on with an initial blast that carries on for a bit. I am getting reasonable tenacity out of it without any great over application, although I admit to some. I like this scent. I have been wearing it a lot. My wife does not so much. I won't bother getting the vintage version then.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ok, I'm completely onboard with Aspen. It's Canoe meeting Cool Water, I guess. Fougere-y with a hint of aquatic. Normally I loath aquatics, but this just adds up to fresh and clean.

At $8.59 delivered/4 oz., has to be about the cheapest acceptable thing around. (Wallyworld wanted $24! Buyer beware). It's inoffensive and reminds me of ... Acqua di Selva, I think. Let's see how it lasts ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
And alas; Aspen suffers from "modern cologne syndrome." It's practically gone three hours later.

Acqua di Selva is gone by the time you get in your car, though.

Zihr Ikon is gone by the time you leave the room!

AA

I used this stuff in like the 10th grade. I haven't smelled it in 20+ years. There are better inexpensive GIT alternatives out there like Cool Water, Armaf Tres Nuit, or even Razorock's Irish Countryside. In my opinion, these all smell better than Aspen and are comparable in price. Although, there is no substitute for GIT, I would recommend grabbing a decant of Green Irish Tweed or sampling it at a local Creed retailer if possible. I realize price may be an issue for many, which is understandable when you're dealing with a fragrance that costs hundreds of dollars.

Just got a new 4 ounce bottle in last week and tried it. Smells pretty much like the late 90's bottle I finished off last year.

Top Bottom