What's new

Multi Pass Shaves

Never heard of 2 and 3 pass shaves until I joined this forum. Started shaving with a DE Razor in the Mid 60s. Everybody that I knew only used one pass when they shaved. Once and done and it was good to go. Tried the 2 and 3 pass shave routine and really saw very little if any benefit to it. I'm a once and done guy and get a very close shave. Never any need for a do over.

I never knew anything about passes. I thought one pass was enough when I shaved with my M3 and the Fusion. Till I found out about DE shaving I heard about the three passes. There are so many mis-informed guys out there :(

I always do three passes and I get a BBS which I really like. Since my first DE shave I didn't even miss my Fusion/M3.

Multipass??? I do an uber-multipass every shave ;)

I perform WTG, XTG, and then a blade-buffed ATG. That last ATG pass requires a very light touch and a near-perfect angle. To no surprise, I much prefer a forgiving/mild razor.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well. You've got all that nice lather left over after one pass. May as well use it.

I actually rinse after one pass and look around. 95% has been hacked; identify any missed areas and hit with lather/second pass.

Nipping the odd single whisker happens after the next rinse ... then check the work. Like starting a campfire from scratch or sharpening a knife, you've just accomplished something involving skill.

AA

Probably you can avoid at least 80% of potential shaving problems by staying with one pass; 90% of stroking only WTG. Years ago I recall some ad - but do not recall which manufacturer or product - that if you used theirs you would never "have to shave twice". Maybe rarely in cartridge days did I do any additional touch up; not often enough to recall. When going to multipass with DE I could feel the smoothness in the after-shave shower, unlike anything since prepubescent days, and I have done multipass ever since.

I like 2 + touch-ups for smoothest possible, but this is all about what works best for YOU, not anyone else. If you are one and done, then congrats and enjoy.

I'm usually a one pass guy ... occasionally one pass with touch ups. When I first started DE shaving I did the three passes and I had quite a bit of irritation. I moved to two passes and that helped with the irritation. When I moved to one pass it got progressively better. And I've stopped chasing BBS on my neck where most of my irritation is. It's just a much more enjoyable experience.

Whatever floats your boat.

After I switched to more aggressive razors I found that a single pass, plus touch-ups, is usually enough for a CCS or DFS. That's what works for my skin and beard. Others may need 2-3 passes to achieve the same result.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If one pass works for you, then more power to ya! I do two passes, but I still need to. I would love to be satisfied with a single pass.

I always do two passes WTG. Because I always have a ton of lather left. And because I just enjoy shaving tbh. It makes me spend like 1 extra minute shaving, I don't mind that at all.

two passes here with a touch up if needed.

I refuse to get irritation. So if a shave isn't going well I will stop after 1 pass.

Consider yourself lucky. I have been doing multiple pass shaves for many years. The grain of my beard changes directions so many times on my face and neck that, for example, going N to S can be WTG, XTG, and ATG depending on what part I am shaving! When I first started shaving I would do two passes: N to S and S to N and that gave me a decent shave. But to remove all of the stubble and get a BBS shave I added to XTG passes in opposite directions and now get the shave I want.

Now that my technique is really good, one pass definitely gets me smoother than my cartridge razor shaving days.

But somehow I'm still not satisfied until I do that extra XTG pass, and then some touch-up on the rough spots.

works for me.

Once in a while I'll set out to do one pass, but I usually do some touch-up even when I only do one pass.

Never heard of 2 and 3 pass shaves until I joined this forum. Started shaving with a DE Razor in the Mid 60s. Everybody that I knew only used one pass when they shaved. Once and done and it was good to go. Tried the 2 and 3 pass shave routine and really saw very little if any benefit to it. I'm a once and done guy and get a very close shave. Never any need for a do over.

I agree I had never heard of multiple passes till I got here. It took me a while to try them as well but I've found for me two passes gives me a DFS/CCS shave each time with no irritation/weepers or nicks. The CCS is mainly on my neck and it's overall a good comfortable shave. I don't need BBS every day and I don't want to risk irritation on my neck. Every time I try to do some touch up is when I get irritation so I just leave it as it is.

-Stephen

I agree with Jeff Rage. One pass wouldn't even touch the surface of my face. I have a VERY thick beard. I need 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) to gain the BBS shave that I have come to enjoy and expect.

Interesting. I've always wondered what the actual shaving routines of people were like when DE shaving was the most common method... whether a "one and done" was what most people did, or if multiple passes was always a thing, etc.

I always do two passes WTG. Because I always have a ton of lather left. And because I just enjoy shaving tbh. It makes me spend like 1 extra minute shaving, I don't mind that at all.

Two passes WTG is my standard, since anything but WTG lays waste to my neck. I can get away with one precise WTG pass and done, though, if I didn't skip a day in between.

Interesting. I've always wondered what the actual shaving routines of people were like when DE shaving was the most common method... whether a "one and done" was what most people did, or if multiple passes was always a thing, etc.

Yep, everybody, once and done, my dad, uncles, friends, 21 years in the Navy, everybody on board Navy Ships, in the barracks, everywhere.

Your beard is likely different than some other people's beards... I've tried a lot of razors, and none of them have ever gotten me a BBS with one pass.

Top Bottom