Rolling the Bones

Monday shave

8E55C1E3-E23F-4282-870B-7476FB23A209.jpeg

Prep: Cleansing Story White Clay foam
Soap: Dr. Jon's Runaway
Brush: Ever-Ready F40
Razor: Standard Razors Deep Black, #1
Blade: Astra SP, #1

As expected, a very large weight difference with this aluminum razor, but it feels great and is very well constructed. I like the all black, too. Two passes only resulting in DFS face, CCS on my neck, and SAS on my chin. Not much feedback from the alum. Not super comfortable, but far better than the R89.

Tuesday shave

1D6E1AEE-D9FB-464A-A766-A6793912FEA2.jpeg

Prep: PAA Ice Cube 2.0
Soap: Lather Bros. No Probllama
Brush: Vie-Long Silvertip
Razor: Standard Razors Deep Black, #2
Blade: Astra SP, #2

Two passes for DFS face and a mix of CCS (mostly) and DFS on my neck. A little more feedback tonight, but not bad. Some irritation on my neck afterwards.

Wednesday shave

E92778D7-5C73-406F-B73D-66C2ED895546.jpeg

Soap: NO The Noir et Vanille
Brush: B&B boar
Razor: Standard Razors Deep Black, #3
Blade: Astra SP, #3

Two passes and some cleanup for mostly DFS, but it wasn't worth it. Lots of feedback and irritation afterward.

Friday shave

1D0A6DF9-CBE1-4646-80BE-174FD4981899.jpeg

Prep: Neutrogena Razor Defense face scrub
Soap: SV 70th
Brush: SOC badger
Razor: Standard Razors Deep Black, #4
Blade: Astra SP, #4 and banked

A steep first pass didn't give great results so finished with a typical angle. DFS minus on my face and a mix of CCS and SAS on my neck. Not not much alum feedback, which was a nice change from Wednesday.

Saturday shave

7BE412E3-A5A7-416A-9E90-706E448E9370.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: CBL Grape Soda
Brush: Omega Mixed Midget
Razor: Standard Razors Deep Black, #5
Blade: Gillette Sputnik, #1

Two passes only. DFS face and CCS neck.

Sunday shave

0D9C4E54-DE1E-464D-A0EA-8B1BCDC868BF.jpeg

Soap: NO Rawr
Brush: EJ Silvertip
Razor: Standard Razors Deep Black, #6
Blade: Gillette Sputnik, #2

Two passes only for DFS face and a mix of CCS and SAS on my neck. I'm finding the blade to be okay, but not as good as an Astra for me.

I've decided to move the Rawr out of the den. Great performance, but not wild about the scent--which is why I used witch hazel for the post.

Monday shave

61A688F4-DB15-4E54-B117-3E0AAF7D9505.jpeg

Soap: ToBS Royal Forest
Brush: Simpson Astor A1 in Best
Razor: Standard Razors Deep Black, #7
Blade: Gillette Sputnik, #3

Two passes resulting in mostly DFS with a small patch of CCS on my neck. Not too much feedback from the alum. Probably the best shave I've had with this razor, but not enough for me to want to keep it and that's a wrap.

Seven shaves with the Standard Razors Deep Black was enough: overall, it was decidedly mediocre for me. Usually uncomfortable and never a close cut, but I did like the look and the weight of it. I’m going to place it just above its (I presume) muse, the R89, with a slightly higher 4 on comfort (which I attribute to the lighter weight) and the same 3 on efficiency.

RankRazorComfortEfficiency
Tier 1 - Keepers1Gillette Slim106

2Schick Type L1105

3RazoRock German 3797

4Fine Marvel96

5Parker Semi-slant96

6Yaqi Beast

7Gem Junior86
Tier 2 - In Consideration8iKon X386

9Timeless .9586

10RazoRock Mamba84

11 (tie)1940s Gillette Super Speed85

1947 Gillette Aristocrat Junior85

12Gillette fat handle Tech85

13Merkur 34C HD86

14Gem MMOC56
Tier 3 - Not for me15Timeless .6875

16Parker 24C

17Karve Christopher Bradley, D Plate65

18Karve CB, C Plate75

19Karve CB, B Plate74

20RazoRock Mamba 7053

21Wilkinson Sword TTO

22Schick Injector Type E336

23Fatip Open Comb Slant34

24Standard Razors Deep Black43

25Mühle R89 Grande33

Tuesday shave

37FA225E-3A18-4305-A5C6-DAA57C980B4E.jpeg

Soap: MdC Rose
Brush: Shavemac badger
Razor: Gem MMOC
Blade: Gem PTFE

Two passes only for an all-over DFS. Pretty significant feedback, though, and not at all comfortable. I've decided to move this one out of the den, which means an update to the league table. It's a neat razor, shaves well, but I don't find it gives a comfortable shave.

RankRazor
Comfort
Efficiency

2Schick Type L1105

3RazoRock German 3797

4Fine Marvel96

5Parker Semi-slant96

6Yaqi Beast

7Gem Junior86

9Timeless .9586

10RazoRock Mamba84

11 (tie)1940s Gillette Super Speed85

12Gillette fat handle Tech85

13Merkur 34C HD86
Tier 3 - Not for me
14Gem MMOC56

15Timeless .6875

16Parker 24C

17Karve Christopher Bradley, D Plate65

18Karve CB, C Plate75

19Karve CB, B Plate74

20RazoRock Mamba 7053

21Wilkinson Sword TTO

22Schick Injector Type E336

23Fatip Open Comb Slant34

24Standard Razors Deep Black43

25Mühle R89 Grande33

Last edited:
Catching up:

Thursday and Saturday shaves

DBB87EC7-596D-4CC3-90DE-699A08147486.jpeg

Prep: Water
Soap: Barbasol Original
Brush: none
Razor: Gillette Sensor
Blade: Gillette Sensor Excel

Took a couple of days off for a family get together out of town. Took my usual kit: Sensor and Barbasol. One pass each shave for mostly DFS, no post needed. The Sensor was my favorite razor back in the day and it still gives great shaves.

Sunday

9BEC8F43-07C8-4E31-9DC4-47F7D7A5651A.jpeg

Soap: Cella
Brush: Vulfix Grosvenor
Razor: 1947 Gillette Aristocrat Jr.
Blade: Lord Cool, #1

Two-passes, mix of DFS and CCS. First use of a Lord Cool and it was serviceable, but nothing special.

Monday

8914BEAB-1B89-4C21-AD07-716DF72365DB.jpeg

Soap: ToBS Grapefruit
Brush: Omega 10290
Razor: Timeless .95
Blade: Lord Cool, #2

Bit of a rough shave tonight. Two passes with a weeper on my chin and, later, a bloody patch on my neck, that I thought was just irritated initially. I mostly blame the blade because I've had really good shaves with the Timeless before. Nevertheless, I've decided to move this one out of the den--mainly due to its heavy weight. I might try a titanium Timeless.95 in the future.

Wednesday shave

25EFFD2C-B307-43D3-A48B-2740680462BE.jpeg

Prep: Water
Soap: Barbasol Original
Brush: none
Razor: Gillette Sensor
Blade: Gillette Sensor Excel

On the road again, usual setup. I need to go back and figure how many uses I've got on this blade, but it's still going like a champ. One-pass DFS with a small bit of CCS. And, surprisingly given I skipped a night, the area on my neck that I roughed up with the Timeless was still a bit painful to shave. No blood though.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’m sorry to read about the rough time with the 0.95 Timeless. Wondering whether more repeated uses would make it “better” or if it’s going to fly away from Casa de Blackbirds

I’m sorry to read about the rough time with the 0.95 Timeless. Wondering whether more repeated uses would make it “better” or if it’s going to fly away from Casa de Blackbirds
@thombrogan , I really do think the blade was the main culprit on that particular shave. I do still very much like the Timeless .95 head, just find the weight a bit much for my preference. Also, it’s in a set with the .68 (which I would not keep) and a stand and I’d rather leave all that together for the next owner. Then, at some point, I’ll be looking for a .95 in titanium. I suspect that one will be the “just right” one for me!

Friday shave

414457EB-8F6E-4261-AF76-BD8C9D92F068.jpeg

Soap: CBL Back-Alley Barbershop
Brush: Vulfix Grosvenor
Razor: RazoRock German 37
Blade: Lord Cool, #3 and banked

Got back in late from our trip to drop our oldest off at college for her freshman year, so instead of rolling up a new razor as planned I just re-rolled one to use with the Lord Cool. The German 37 was great, leading to a two-pass DFS with a small area of CCS and only minor alum feedback. That blade, though, is toast. Tugged from the start this time and didn't really improve from there.

Saturday shave

1F098847-0395-4E73-BEE4-859ECDABADA7.jpeg

Soap: Col. Conk Lime
Razor: Fine Superlite slant
Blade: Astra SP, #1

A very good first shave with the Superlite. Two-passes and, because it was feeling good, touch-ups for an all-around DFS. Only minor feedback from the alum and minor sting from the Citrus Musk. A very comfortable shave. I resisted the urge to use any pressure due to the light weight and just let the blade do all the work. The Col. Conk gave some fantastic lather tonight--what a bargain that stuff is and it smells great, too!

Sunday shave

A78BF49A-43C2-41F0-B540-51DE22501332.jpeg

Soap: Barrister & Mann Reserve Fern
Brush: Vie Long Silvertip
Razor: Fine Superlite slant, #2
Blade: Astra SP, #2

Two passes for DFS face and mostly CCS on my neck. A comfortable shave with negligible feedback from the alum. I decided that the Fern is not for me. Like the lather, but not the scent, so it'll be moving out of the den.

Tuesday shave

2CCFD4EF-A5FC-4BB9-A309-7EF47C807C02.jpeg

Soap: SW Druantia
Brush: Omega 10290
Razor: Fine Superlite slant, #3
Blade: Astra SP, #3

A comfortable two-pass shave this afternoon, but not real close: usual DFS on my face, but my neck was CCS and a large section of SAS. Hardly any feedback from the alum.

Wednesday shave

23965C55-96AF-4D02-B2F1-993DA8A1CCB3.jpeg

Soap: Tallow + Steel Morocco
Razor: Fine Superlite slant, #4
Blade: Astra SP, #4 and banked

Took it steep for two passes and needed up with DFS face and an even mix of CCS and SAS on my neck. A little more feedback from the alum, but not too bad.

Last edited:
Friday shave

AE1D806A-0DAE-49E9-8E79-DCA8A1CC5109.jpeg

Soap: SV Cubebe
Razor: Fine Superlite slant, #5
Blade: Personna Lab Blue, #1

First use of a Lab Blue and I wasn't impressed. Two passes and a touch-up with tugging the whole way led to DFS face and a mix of CCS and SAS on my neck. Decidedly uncomfortable with a small weeper and irritation on my neck, but, surprisingly, only moderate feedback from the alum. So there was that. 😀

Saturday shave

682BD399-9EF7-42F2-98D5-89FB0D0DC11C.jpeg

Soap: Stirling Iced Pineapple
Brush: Simpson Astor A1 Best
Razor: Fine Superlite slant, #6
Blade: Personna Lab Blue, #2

Not impressed with this blade in the Superlite. It's a terrible combination. Two passes, tugging all the way. Some irritation on my neck and feedback from the alum. I'm going to try a different blade in the Superlite tomorrow, but I've about made up my mind on where it stands.

I'm also going to hold the Lab Blue for use in my next in-between shave to see if some weight in the razor makes a difference. I won't hesitate to bank it on the first pass if it doesn't behave, though.

Sunday shave

9390DC75-5D75-4BA1-B639-CBB01C97F618.jpeg

Prep: Neutrogena Razor Defense face scrub
Soap: Mickey Lee Grand Havana
Brush: Simpson PJ2 Super
Razor: Fine Superlite slant, #7
Blade: Duablade Clifton, #1
Post: alum -> Clubman Pinaud Reserve Whiskey Woods aftershave

What a difference a blade can make! A fantastic shave with the Clifton tonight: sharp and smooth with zero issues. Two passes and DFS all over except the usual small CCS patch on my neck. Only the most minor feedback from the alum. And that will do it for the Superlite.

Seven shaves with the Fine Superlite slant. An interesting razor and, no surprise, the lightest DE I've used. It felt like using a disposable razor. The lack of weight didn't bother me from a "how it feels" standpoint, but I do think it affected how it shaved. I found it to be relatively comfortable, but lacking in efficiency and it wasn't until last night with a new Clifton blade that I got an actual DFS on the right side of my neck, which is usually a given. I think that might be because the lightness was working against me in that there wasn't enough pressure to assist with keeping the blade a consistent pressure against the skin, particularly when shaving under my chin. Whatever the case, I just don't find it gives a reliably close shave. I think the Superlite is the most sensitive to blade choice of any DE I've used so far which I also think is due to its lightness, i.e., the blade has to compensate for the lack of natural weight you'd get on another razor. Overall, not too bad, but not for me. I’m going to place it at 16, with a 7 on comfort and a 4 on efficiency.

RankRazorComfortEfficiency

2Schick Type L1105

3RazoRock German 3797

4Fine Marvel96

5Parker Semi-slant96

6Yaqi Beast

7Gem Junior86

9RazoRock Mamba84

10 (tie)1940s Gillette Super Speed85

11Gillette fat handle Tech85

12Merkur 34C HD86
Tier 3 - Not for me
13Timeless .9586

14Gem MMOC56

15Timeless .6875

16Fine Superlite slant74

17Parker 24C

18Karve Christopher Bradley, D Plate65

19Karve CB, C Plate75

20Karve CB, B Plate74

21RazoRock Mamba 7053

22Wilkinson Sword TTO

23Schick Injector Type E336

24Fatip Open Comb Slant34

25Standard Razors Deep Black43

26Mühle R89 Grande33

Last edited:
Monday shave

82FABAF6-3250-4F11-978F-A1BA2020F875.jpeg

Soap: P&B Spitfire
Razor: Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Personna Lab Blue, #3 and banked

I'm getting close to a big BST den clearing so I've decided to take the next few shaves to go through the razors in Tier 2 to make a final decision on them. First up is the Gillette Fat Handle Tech. I started with the Lab Blue, fully expecting to not even make it through the first pass based on its performance in the Superlite. Well. On the contrary. I wouldn't say it was outstanding, but it was a good shave all the way and the two passes resulted in DFS on my face and a mix of DFS and CCS on my neck. Not a hint of tugging and zero feedback from the alum. A very comfortable shave overall. I guess the weight of a razor can somewhat cover up a blade's flaws, but with the Superlite it had nowhere to hide. As for the Tech, it's going to move up to Tier 1.

In light of the den clearing, I've also taken another run through my brushes and have decided to move along the La Maison du Barbier and both SOC brushes. And I've gone through my soaps and decided to move out M&M Gael Luc, RazoRock Don Marco, Mike's Bay Rum, GS Abysso, and WK Man From Mayfair. There may yet be a couple more before I post to the BST.

Top Bottom