What's new

Any Other Lapsang Souchong Drinkers Here?

This is the first thread I've ever started on the café... So hello to all.

Do any of the other tea drinkers on here enjoy Lapsang Souchong? (For anyone not familiar with it, it is a relatively mild Chinese black tea, that is smoked over a pine fire. It has a very smoky aroma and flavor. Supposedly, it was Winston Churchill's preferred tea.)

I really enjoy this tea, and people I've served it to seem to either love it or hate it...

I very much enjoy Lapsang Souchong. The first time I tried it was at a restaurant, and it was over-steeped and unpleasant, but fortunately I decided not to give up on it and bought a small amount of loose leaf. When steeped correctly, it is an amazing tea!

I enjoy it. I really enjoy it the more tarry versions with lots of phenolic & camphorous odor. In whole leaf, it is often good for 3-4 infusions. I have found that people do either love it or hate it.

It also brings back memories of the first time I had it. Sitting in a tea house at a Chinese garden, looking over the lake, and chatting with a gorgeous woman across the table from me who ordered it because she loves it. Good memories.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've enjoyed this for a long time now ... try the "golden eyebrow" version (Jas-e tea sells it among others) for a more refined version. (Not that the knock-your-socks-off version isn't worth enjoying too!)

I've come to this tea by a different path, recommended by America's Test Kitchen as an indoor smoking agent for baby back ribs. Quite effective!

My favorite tea as well. First tasted it while visiting York in the north of England, at a busy restaurant on a cold, wet day. My dining companions threatened to leave the table because of the scent -- "burning fire hose," one said. For me, no other tea comes close.

I really like it, though I haven't had any for a while. I find I enjoy it best when I can drink it outdoors.

I tried Lapsang Souchong tonight for the first time. Very interesting flavor that reminds me of sitting around a campfire with every sip.
It's a little early to tell, but I may get hooked on this tea. I plan on doing a 50/50 with Earl Gray net time around.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
An old thread, but another LS drinker here.

Heresy, but you can mix it with black tea if the LS is strong.

AA

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Oh, wow. I love it and used to drink it all the time. It's been years and years, though.

proxy.php

Been enjoying this bag since Christmas. Delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girlfriend and I sometimes have lapsang with breakfast, though we've also got a few other teas in the breakfast rotation. We usually get Lapsang Black Dragon from Upton Tea...probably not the most sophisticated tea in the world, but it's a a reliable, tasty lapsang.

Top Bottom