What's new

Any Oolong tea drinkers here?

I like white tea. I like yellow tea. I like green tea. I like oolong tea. I like black tea. About the only tea I do not like is Pu erh; at least I did not like the ones I have tried
Would you drink it in a box, would you drink it with a fox?

Have you tried the Pu erh that is packed inside a small dried orange? Awesome stuff. If you brew it strong, there is a bitterness to it from the orange that is not unpleasant, but brew it a little weaker and it is excellent.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
About the only tea I do not like is Pu erh; at least I did not like the ones I have tried.

There are two different types of puerh ... the raw/sheng and ripe/shu. While there are fans of each, IMHO most people tend to much prefer the raw.

If your only experience with puerh is a mediocre shu, I can understand your disappointment ... and can suggest trying a decent sheng.

There are two different types of puerh ... the raw/sheng and ripe/shu. While there are fans of each, IMHO most people tend to much prefer the raw.

If your only experience with puerh is a mediocre shu, I can understand your disappointment ... and can suggest trying a decent sheng.
What temperature? Seep times? (I've never tried puerh).

For example, I like oolongs at 195degF, at 3 min, while my greens go at 175degF for 2min.

For some, this seems like splitting hairs, but to me it makes a big difference. I then add 1 min to seep times for subsequent infusions.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't get too fixated on those details as others do so I may not be the best person to answer this ...

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I think gunpowder tea is appropriately named. Tried it once and it nearly floored me. Your great grandmother was wise to subdue it with gentle oolong and to brew it lightly.

Was this her own creation or was this a suggested blend of Goldberg Bowen? I didn't think that folks generally blended oolongs (or for that matter green tea).
I think it was hers.

1677649661484.png
Wuyi Oolong from Fujian Province

Top Bottom