What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

M

member 119848

Nice review! Thank you.

There´s not much talk about the Meta-4. I wonder why it´s so under-rated... it delivers such smooth shaves!
And for someone like me who don´t let the whiskers grow more than two days, it´s efficient enough.

there is a large gap between the edge of the blade and the edge of the safety bar.
...which makes it a little bit more difficult to reach just under the nose, I find.
Other than that, it´s a great design.

Thanks for the alert, I just ordered one. Looks a lot like a Leresche 77 honestly, which would be great news as I have one of those and it shaved great.

I also really love the flair tip style handle, it’s classy. Looking forward to taking this for a spin.

We are truly buried in great inexpensive stainless steel razors now between this one and what razorock keeps cranking out:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got mine and loaded up a blade to compare with my Mamba 70. It's a great design. I can see that the Meta 4 uses more of the blade's cutting surface. That's why the head is bigger. It bends the blade less than the Mamba. I like how the Meta 4 slots hold the blade during loading. It's easier to load than the Mamba.

I'm the world's biggest fan of the Prismatic, and I knew from conversations with Doug that this would be a different razor, and indeed in terms of attitude and performance they have nothing in common. The Meta4 is a good solid mild razor, not the somewhat wild and funky thing the Prismatic is. I would have preferred an aggressive version as I don't think I'll opt for the Meta4 for my head shaves, it's simply too much work.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

My meta arrived today. I have to say just on build quality it’s a winner, surpassing razorock (and that’s not dinging RR). Handle is cool and retro. Geometry looks as I hoped. I’m going to load up a Gillette yellow in there and give it a spin in the morning.

This image can help show the difference in exposure of the blade's cutting edge. Mamba's design covers up the corners of the blade. Meta4 uses more of it. Mamba 70 on left. Meta 4 on right. I tried the Meta 4 this morning and it's a winner. It manages to be efficient, smooth, and mild, which is a rare combination. I also like the build quality. It seems well made and should no doubt last a long time.

meta4 and mamba 1.jpg

Okay, so I shaved with the Meta4 today using a Gillette yellow. I shaved all the last week with a Mamba .7 using a Polsilver, so I’m in a good place to make a comparison.

In short, the Meta4 is more efficient but basically as smooth and carefree as the Mamba .7. Also whereas the Mamba benefits from a tiny bit of applied pressure, none is needed for the Meta4. So in short the M4 just better. The retro handle is also very grippy and the weight and balance of the razor is good, it isn’t as top heavy as a mamba because the machined metal is thinner on the meta.

Comparing it to one of my favorite vintage razors, the RFB, it shaved more efficiently than that and also smoother. I was shaving with my hybrid tech last week using a yellow, and it shaves as efficiently as the hybrid but smoother and more carefree. There are angles a hybrid or flat bottom tech will not be smooth for me, and I didn’t have to be nearly as careful with the Meta4 to get as good as a shave as the Hybrid.

So, this is is hands down if you like a milder shaver the best modern in production razor. I have all the razorock models, the the short lived Worlds Finest Razor, Timeless Ti, all the muhle and Merkur models, and this beats them.

I also have a ton of vintage razors including rarer models as I said including Leresche, all the Gillette in America and England, and this is also superior—smooth and mild but yet very efficient.

I like it so much I’m going to get one for my travel kit. I can’t recommend it more highly.

The only thing I haven’t tried that could rival it is the stainless Taiga I just ordered which is languishing in a Russian post office. I will report back on that comparison when I get it.

Okay, so I shaved with the Meta4 today using a Gillette yellow. I shaved all the last week with a Mamba .7 using a Polsilver, so I’m in a good place to make a comparison.

In short, the Meta4 is more efficient but basically as smooth and carefree as the Mamba .7. Also whereas the Mamba benefits from a tiny bit of applied pressure, none is needed for the Meta4. So in short the M4 just better. The retro handle is also very grippy and the weight and balance of the razor is good, it isn’t as top heavy as a mamba because the machined metal is thinner on the meta.

Comparing it to one of my favorite vintage razors, the RFB, it shaved more efficiently than that and also smoother. I was shaving with my hybrid tech last week using a yellow, and it shaves as efficiently as the hybrid but smoother and more carefree. There are angles a hybrid or flat bottom tech will not be smooth for me, and I didn’t have to be nearly as careful with the Meta4 to get as good as a shave as the Hybrid.

So, this is is hands down if you like a milder shaver the best modern in production razor. I have all the razorock models, the the short lived Worlds Finest Razor, Timeless Ti, all the muhle and Merkur models, and this beats them.

I also have a ton of vintage razors including rarer models as I said including Leresche, all the Gillette in America and England, and this is also superior—smooth and mild but yet very efficient.

I like it so much I’m going to get one for my travel kit. I can’t recommend it more highly.

The only thing I haven’t tried that could rival it is the stainless Taiga I just ordered which is languishing in a Russian post office. I will report back on that comparison when I get it.

You intrigued me enough to give it a look but, sure enough, it's sold out. Will keep an eye out!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Nice review. Good info. And excellent perspective on both razors. I’ve had the prismatic, and have all three mambas. So this razor sounds too mild for me. But I very much appreciate the thorough review.

In the last few months I've been using this Qshave scuttle:
qshave.png

It made my shaves a real joy! having a hot lather on your face is quite a treat. If you haven't used a scuttle before-you don't know what you're missing..
but now I want to buy this Phoenix scuttle entitled:
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements The Intergalactic Indestructible Shatterproof Travel Scuttle Shaving Bowl
phoenix.jpg

I want it because it's shatterproof and light..
Although it's a "travel scuttle" I plan to use it as my daily driver
any thoughts? recommendations?
Cheers!

I just checked the listing at PAA and it seems that a lot of thought went into the design. I currently use a ceramic Georgetown G12 scuttle and this looks like it holds the same 12 ounces of water. Indestructible and microwaveable. It certainly cost less than my G12. I say buy it then do a review for everyone else! If my scuttle breaks I might give this one a shot.

I want to buy my first PAA CK-6 soap from those 3, Furure Fiction, Astra Planeta, John Frum.
which is your favorite scent of 3;

I only have Diver Down and F bomb. I did get an aftershave sample of John Frum. I have trouble smelling unless the scent is really strong so I had my wife sniff John Frum. She said it smelled like soap. I will need to apply it and let her sniff it. Don't be surprised if this thread gets moved into the THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread. It is where all PAA threads go to die.

Top Bottom