What's new

February 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in. SOTD - 13 FEB 2021

SOTD 02132021.jpg

Great shave. Comfortable DFS with no fuss.

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, no oil
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered (day 3)
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84 OC, Astra SP #11, GC.68 SB, Wizamet #7
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

A good end result, but the OC bit was rough. I did most of the work with the .68 SB. I think pre-shave oil has the side-effect of increasing blade life, so if I don't use it, I'll need to replace them more often.

And I'm out. Couldn't pass up a cased Fatboy for $20. I'll just turn it around on the bay for a profit of $40+ (Cuz my Slim > than a Fatboy). Sorry, I couldn't let someone else do the dirty work. See ya' all in a couple weeks.
This question/situation has come up before. If you bought it so that you can flip it, that's business. Two rules come into play here:

2. No personal shaving purchases in February. Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle (PIF or Gifting). Members are not allowed to request any form of compensation in return. Please use your best judgement. Also, no sampling or testing of those gift items.
...and...
6. If you have to ask, it probably will put you out. That said, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint - use your own best judgement to self-assess based on the rules above.

If you don't use it and you are simply going to sell it, you haven't violated the rules. As #6 says, that's your call. So...are you in or are you out?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
This question/situation has come up before. If you bought it so that you can flip it, that's business. Two rules come into play here:

2. No personal shaving purchases in February. Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle (PIF or Gifting). Members are not allowed to request any form of compensation in return. Please use your best judgement. Also, no sampling or testing of those gift items.
...and...
6. If you have to ask, it probably will put you out. That said, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint - use your own best judgement to self-assess based on the rules above.

If you don't use it and you are simply going to sell it, you haven't violated the rules. As #6 says, that's your call. So...are you in or are you out?
Nah, no intention of using said Fatboy whatsoever. Flip only. If there are no objections I'm... back in!

Still in. No purchases, still pondering what wolfman handle to choose with the WR2 when my turn on the waiting list comes up, i'm guessing in May/June.

SOTD:
Gillette New Improved
Wilkinson Sword Vintage (15)
Simpsons M7 Manchurian
Simpsons Luxury Shaving Cream
Thayers WH

Today's was an average shave, but with a fair bit of bite/sting aftermath. I've now dropped out of the 1-blade challenge in Feb, for my preference the blade stretched for that long just wasn't up to scratch. I'll be glad to load up with a clean-new blade tomorrow. A feather should set things right again!

The darn fiance strikes again, similar to December when she got me a boar brush as a surprise gift she got me additional shaving stuff as a combo anniversary/valentines gift this past weekend. She got me another brush and a gem ocmm.
The situation was basically identical to before, I didn't request anything of the nature (in fact I gave her golf alternatives I was interested in!). So Im fairly sure I'm still in? Let me know otherwise but I think I'm in the clear. Here is the brush and razor pictured in today's SOTD, the brush is her favorite color!
0214211550~2.jpg

The darn fiance strikes again, similar to December when she got me a boar brush as a surprise gift she got me additional shaving stuff as a combo anniversary/valentines gift this past weekend. She got me another brush and a gem ocmm.
The situation was basically identical to before, I didn't request anything of the nature (in fact I gave her golf alternatives I was interested in!). So Im fairly sure I'm still in? Let me know otherwise but I think I'm in the clear. Here is the brush and razor pictured in today's SOTD, the brush is her favorite color!
View attachment 1223092

I like your fiancé. My wife mocks my shaving stuff and I can’t fathom her buying something like that for me. She just accused me this morning of ordering shaving stuff. It was actually a power adapter I bought for her so she had to eat crow[emoji23]

I like your fiancé. My wife mocks my shaving stuff and I can’t fathom her buying something like that for me. She just accused me this morning of ordering shaving stuff. It was actually a power adapter I bought for her so she had to eat crow[emoji23]
Me too! it's even a Grizzly Bay brush, I love them. I have a few. I think she likes the brushes because it reminds her of makeup brushes.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Still in. Broke out the Feather Popular that was PIFed to me by @Tanuki shortly after I found the forum. The razor has been getting a bad buzz in a few posts lately. I don't know why. DFS with a feather blade in it. Duke 3, Razorock Tuscan Oud, Stirling Texas on Fire splash.

Still in. SOTD - 14 FEB 2021

SOTD 02142021.jpg

Great shave. The boar is feeling nice on the face. Soap was slick but I'm still testing it out; being a glycerin soap, I see some differences compared to tallow ones but still gets the job done. Razor felt great and efficient. Comfortable BBS result.

Still rolling along. Had something of a breakthrough the last two shaves with a new touch-up angle that’s getting me to DFS.

CB9B998E-2987-46C3-8374-DAF3454EEF01.jpeg

Valentine’s Day shave

Prep: Curology Cleanser
Soap: TTFFC Sue Moore Memorial Auction Currants and Roses
Brush: Epsilon Spec. Ed. Horse
Razor: Gem Junior, #5
Blade: Gem Stainless, Gem Carbon, Pal Blue Carbon Steel, all fresh, all used for two strokes, all binned; finished with the Gem PTFE, #5
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Gillette Cool Wave aftershave

Pretty good shave tonight with an all-around DFS. The angled touch-up strokes appear to do the trick on my neck so I'll continue those. Aftershave was excellent--I'm a big fan of the Cool Wave and it's a nice accompaniment to rose scents. The only downside to the shave was that there is now no doubt that something in the TTFFC formula irritates my face. And that's a bummer because this soap smells great!

As to bladeapalooza, I knew from the last try with these blades in the MMOC that they probably weren't going to work for me in the Junior. I was right. Tried them all for a couple of strokes, binned them all, and it's official: for me the only usable blade for these razors is the Gem PTFE.

Still in.

Quick Valentines Day shave, used a fitting soap and aftershave which is also my wife’s favorite.

Dropped my alum, which exploded into a million pieces 🤦‍♂️ First time I’ve done that.

Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium SC / Scalloped Top Cap
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: Yaqi “Butterscotch” 24mm Tuxedo
Lather: Barrister and Mann Ravish
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Ravish Aftershave Splash
Additional Care:
Osma Alum Block
Timeless Lather Bowl

C54442BF-E2AC-4DAA-8E1C-032AA2756A34.jpeg

Top Bottom