...I just got distracted...

That'll happen!

1578158846264.png

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You can save money if you want too.

I started this blade Nov. 28.

I'm now on the 5th week and it shows no signs of slowing down and in fact, has improved. Its still very nearly as sharp as it was fresh and a whole bunch smoother.

The 200 blades cost me CAD$43.16 total. Thats $0.216 per blade. At 20 shaves this blade has cost me $0.010. A full 5 weeks shaves for a penny. People say this type of shaving doesnt save money. Think again.

I dont remember offhand what the total cost of my Grande was, but it was close enough to $50 to call it that. Under CAD$100 for the best DE razor made in my opinion and 200 of one of the best blades made, and you're good for ten years.

A single Mach 3 cartridge at Walmart near me costs $3.25CAD. My shaves using DE/SE razors and blades are light years apart from my best shaves with a cartridge. Difficult to put a price on that.

My favorite and best performing brush costs $10 at Maggard. Of my best performing soaps and creams, the most expensive was $22.50CAD delivered for Wickham 1912. The least expensive, CRS cream at $13CAD.

You dont need to spend a lot to have the best shaves of your life. Like Jim, @Chan Eil Whiskers, has often said: The most expensive things are the ones you dont use.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
We were just conversing over at TSD about how much some of us have spent over the years.

I had a different strategy when I started to Traditional shaving and it was to save money on shaving supplies . So I was cautious with spending at first and did a lot research with reading on the forums of products available while buying a few cheap razors and brushes. My Wife wanted me to shave my head and so I read up on that possible venture and concluded no way. (A lot of effort to keep it nice & I would not enjoy my appearance looking like Telly Salvalas Kojak famous look IMO)
But she bought me a electric hair Clipper in DEC 2016 for Christmas and that is were I saved a lot of money and transferred my savings to buying shaving gear. The strange thing people I hang out with never even noticed I was cutting my own hair, the secret is to keep it short and clipped every 3 weeks.
A haircut was costing me up in Northern Alberta Canada about $26 Canadian with a tip, also about 4 dollars worth of gas forth & back driving to down town barber, so I spent at least $30 per month . Now multiply that by 12 it comes to $360.00 per yr Canadian + I was spending about $50.00> on Gillette Cartridges and and canned goop per year , that equals about $410 per year. 3 years later I have saved $1,230.00 on cutting my own hair and cartridge shaving supplies. I have spent approx $900 on razors(rad 2019) ,$200 on aftershaves,$120 on soaps +$120 on DE & SE blades + $80 on brushes + $200> on EBAY shipping for a approximate total of $1,720 Canadian over 3 yrs. This year if I keep my spending to barely nothing
:rofl:
I will save another $410 in 2020 which will bring my savings to $1,640,00 approximately and I have enough shaving supplies for 8yrs approx if needed. So at the end of 4 yrs $1,720.00 spent - $1,640.00 saved = I'm out- $80-150 + dollars seems realistically for my shaving enjoyment. 2021 would be a very big yr for saving possibly. :biggrin1:
If looking at a 4 year hobby of shaving and getting some excellent shaves and enjoying the pleasures of traditional shaving and communicating with interesting folks it was well worth it IMO. I have had a lot of fun for now while I have been healing from surgery this year, also being retired with lots of time to research and try and stay out of the wife's hair it has been worth every dollar spent.
So there is ways of looking at shaving in a positive financial way if you are concerned about saving money, beware of the Rabbit holes that can be fun and expensive at the same time. I'm easing back until the next 2020 black Friday Cyber Monday and will evaluate my supplies needed for another year.

Have some great shaves!

We were just conversing over at TSD about how much some of us have spent over the years.

I had a different strategy when I started to Traditional shaving and it was to save money on shaving supplies . So I was cautious with spending at first and did a lot research with reading on the forums of products available while buying a few cheap razors and brushes. My Wife wanted me to shave my head and so I read up on that possible venture and concluded no way. (A lot of effort to keep it nice & I would not enjoy my appearance looking like Telly Salvalas Kojak famous look IMO)
But she bought me a electric hair Clipper in DEC 2016 for Christmas and that is were I saved a lot of money and transferred my savings to buying shaving gear. The strange thing people I hang out with never even noticed I was cutting my own hair, the secret is to keep it short and clipped every 3 weeks.
A haircut was costing me up in Northern Alberta Canada about $26 Canadian with a tip, also about 4 dollars worth of gas forth & back driving to down town barber, so I spent at least $30 per month . Now multiply that by 12 it comes to $360.00 per yr Canadian + I was spending about $50.00> on Gillette Cartridges and and canned goop per year , that equals about $410 per year. 3 years later I have saved $1,230.00 on cutting my own hair and cartridge shaving supplies. I have spent approx $900 on razors(rad 2019) ,$200 on aftershaves,$120 on soaps +$120 on DE & SE blades + $80 on brushes + $200> on EBAY shipping for a approximate total of $1,720 Canadian over 3 yrs. This year if I keep my spending to barely nothing
:rofl:
I will save another $410 in 2020 which will bring my savings to $1,640,00 approximately and I have enough shaving supplies for 8yrs approx if needed. So at the end of 4 yrs $1,720.00 spent - $1,640.00 saved = I'm out- $80-150 + dollars seems realistically for my shaving enjoyment. 2021 would be a very big yr for saving possibly. :biggrin1:
If looking at a 4 year hobby of shaving and getting some excellent shaves and enjoying the pleasures of traditional shaving and communicating with interesting folks it was well worth it IMO. I have had a lot of fun for now while I have been healing from surgery this year, also being retired with lots of time to research and try and stay out of the wife's hair it has been worth every dollar spent.
So there is ways of looking at shaving in a positive financial way if you are concerned about saving money, beware of the Rabbit holes that can be fun and expensive at the same time. I'm easing back until the next 2020 black Friday Cyber Monday and will evaluate my supplies needed for another year.

Have some great shaves!
My wife has been cutting my hair for 30 years with a $25 Clippers kit that now my daughter borrows every month to cut her husband's hair. I've paid a barber once in the past 30 years, which was to experience a barber shave with a SR. Cost me $20 plus tip.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You don't need to spend a lot to have the best shaves of your life. Like Jim, @Chan Eil Whiskers, has often said: The most expensive things are the ones you don't use.

As they gather dust they become silly as well as expensive, so put them away in plastic boxes with tops to keep the dust off and the objects (soaps especially) out of sight and out of mind.

One day they'll become very valuable. I'll end up making money with this hobby even if I have to enlist my great great-grandson's help (ignoring the obvious fact I'll have been dead for decades).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
One day they'll become very valuable. I'll end up making money with this hobby even if I have to enlist my great great-grandson's help (ignoring the obvious fact I'll have been dead for decades).

By the year 2100 or so, yeah, I can see it lol. Relics from a bygone age, and like new!

I am now that the newness of it all has kind of worn off and Ive settled in what I like and what works for me. When I first got into wet shaving a few years ago, I got sucked into wanting to try everything and feeling like I was missing out if I didnt try whatever the latest new soap there is, all-stainless razors and artisan brushes.
Now, Ive come to realize that I can get a great shave with an $8 shavette, Personna Lab Blue blades, Arko or Cella and a small, inexpensive badger brush.
For aftershave, Pinaud Clubman or Aqua Velva works as well as any artisan aftershave and costs 1/3 as much.
You can certainly save money but you cant look at it from a hobbyist perspective. If you look at it as a hobby, you arent going to save money if you have a rotation of razors, brushes, soaps and aftershaves. If you view shaving as a hobby, you cant really look at it as something that saves you money vs carts and canned goo because the enjoyment you get from it is something that you cant put a pricetag on.
However, if you have 1 or 2 razors, 1 or 2 brushes, a couple of soaps and a couple of aftershaves, you certainly can save money.

Not saving a dime. Spending more than ever on shave related gear. But I’m enjoying my time, I have something to look forward to, & my face and skin has never looked better. The way I look at it instead of paying a therapist to keep me level I redirect that money and spend it on myself on cool stuff and make funny faces at myself in the mirror a few times a week. Seems to do the trick and keep me sane so I’m rolling with it.

Not saving a dime. Spending more than ever on shave related gear. But I’m enjoying my time, I have something to look forward to, & my face and skin has never looked better. The way I look at it instead of paying a therapist to keep me level I redirect that money and spend it on myself on cool stuff and make funny faces at myself in the mirror a few times a week. Seems to do the trick and keep me sane so I’m rolling with it.
I have to agree here. I’ve never looked better and I feel great. Everyone I know has noticed a difference in how I look and act. It’s of course not all from DE shaving but a much bigger story of renewal. DE shaving is at the center of it though.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So when I started I kept hearing how much cheaper it is to wet shave. Boy was that a joke. As soon as RAD kicks in you are screwed. Then if you use straights, DE, and SE razors you are really screwed. The post your shave den thread got me thinking how many of you are actually saving money wet shaving vs using carts and can shaving cream?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was good for the first five or six years after my switch from cartridges. Was at a Walmart to restock my cartridge and thought, I am not spending that much money for blades. Saw the vDH and made the purchase. Then my VDH razor broke after the five or six years of use and needed another. Went to the local WalMart to buy another, and wouldn’t ya know it they were out of stock. So thought would go to their on line site,what a big mistake. Lead me to other sites that did not know existed, then here. Been crazy ever since.

I joined the 2020 sabbatical and afraid I will be the first one out.

I have not saved money! But that was my choice. I don’t need all of the razors, brushes, blades, soaps and aftershaves that I own. I could shave (daily) for the next 5+ years without spending another dime.

The question really needs to separate the needs from the wants. No one needs a $500 or more razor or $200 to $300 or more brush etc, but many want those luxurious items. I sincerely doubt that more than a handful of people will ever spend more in this hobby than the differential between a perfectly servicable Ford Fusion for under $25,000 or a more luxurious BMW for over $50,000. Considering the number of vehicles to be purchased in active driving years, even those with the most extreme acquisition disorders have found a relatively inexpensive hobby.

So no, I have not saved but never made a conscious effort to save.

Fun thread!!

On reflection, I AM SAVING $!!

I could be collecting vintage cars or bamboo fly rods!! :badger::badger::badger:

+1!

This thread is giving me some good perspective on saving money. If I upgrade all my ski gear, get a new SUV with top of the line studless snow tires, spend my winter in Utah, and stop buying straight razors and hones, I will definitely save some money (relatively) on shaving!

On reflection (in my shaving mirror), I am not getting any younger. I might as well have an extensive selection attractive razors to focus on each morning.

On reflection (in my shaving mirror), I am not getting any younger. I might as well have an extensive selection attractive razors to focus on each morning.
+1 Exactly....I am looking at ebay right now. There's a few good looking vintage...what's stopping me....shipping cost...guessed that save me money...........for now at least.

Top Bottom