What's new

Anyone actually saving money?

I've saved money in the long run by switching from cartridge razors and canned foam to DE razors and soap pucks. For about 60 dollars spent, I have 3 razors, a boar brush, badger brush, and enough blades to last a year and a half and soap and aftershave to last 6+ months. Seems more economical to me IMHO.

I am NOT saving a penny; on the contrary spending a LOT. BUT I enjoy it, it's a hobby , and I am getting good shaves.If you have the money and like it....use it...it's fun.

If you want to save $$ get a $10 razor and some blades that work on it....one soap and one brush and NEVER look around....just get the job done...... OR get a cart on sale, some canned foam and an aftershave and be done.

I don’t even want to add up how much I’ve spent over the last 5 years, but I know I’ve spent way too much. I’ll be saving this year because I’m participating in the 2020 sabbatical!

I wasn't saving any money at first because the first several years I was going through the experimental phase. I've been at it for about 7 years and in that time I've probably bought and sold around 20 razors. (One was a bargain, rare find and I actually made a couple hundred $$ off of it!) I've only ever had 3 brushes in that time (one tossed, one sold) and have had no desire for any others. My weakness now may be aftershaves but I'm getting a handle on it. I've participated in the last two sabbaticals so I haven't bought anything shave related in 2 years. I'm in the 2020 sabbatical so I'm shooting for 3 years in a row with no shave related purchases and I don't anticipate any problem at all in finishing successfully. I'm not really tempted by new stuff any more, I'm enjoying what I have. My goal is to get down to 1 soap and only buy when that runs out, 2-4 aftershaves and only buy replacements and no more than 100 blades at a time.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Arguably, one DOES save on actual shaving per day costs.

A bit of soap; imperceptible wear on a brush, and a sixth of an 8 cent blade.

As opposed to some costly multiblade cart use, yes there is savings per day.

Its the fun hobby of collecting 83 soaps and aftershaves that kills you ...

AA

Right now I'm not saving money, but what I discovered is that wet shaving has really become my number 1 hobby. I have others, but I shave almost daily, so I don't mind spending extra for it. I've really begun to love shaving and find it relaxing. I genuinely love to shave now.

I am NOT saving a penny; on the contrary spending a LOT. BUT I enjoy it, it's a hobby , and I am getting good shaves.If you have the money and like it....use it...it's fun.

If you want to save $$ get a $10 razor and some blades that work on it....one soap and one brush and NEVER look around....just get the job done...... OR get a cart on sale, some canned foam and an aftershave and be done.
+10..totally agreed...LOL

Right now I'm not saving money, but what I discovered is that wet shaving has really become my number 1 hobby. I have others, but I shave almost daily, so I don't mind spending extra for it. I've really begun to love shaving and find it relaxing. I genuinely love to shave now.
+10...totally agreed.....I travel quite a lot for work and guess what I do after work...I'll walked for few hours surveying and hunting for any shaving products unique to the place I am at...I'd find mostly special DE blades but also some unique shave stuff...so far haven't seen any vintage razors as yet...

Charlton-Heston-Crazy-laughing.gif

I bought far too much stuff, but I'm back to boring daily shaving with what I have. Did make another batch of soap yesterday, but didn't buy anything for that, just used stuff I have around. Won't be buying much more, I'm happy with a few razors and have enough blades for the neighborhood for a decade I think, but will probably buy small numbers of others just for fun -- when a person gets around 100 shaves a blade on the good ones, a few lasts a very long time.....

I'll be retiring in a few years, gotta watch I don't go on an acquisition binge when I have more free time, but I think I'm set for life, even with soap!

Per shave cost is way down from cartridges, since I'm averaging 62 shaves per blade, and the good ones usually go more than 100. Not very expensive when you use four blades a year.....

I used to shave once a week with a cartridge. Trying to fix my apnea problems, I discovered de shaving and started shaving everyday. So no, it is not saving me money. I am getting much better shaves and my skin looks healthy and younger. Well worth it.

I'll be retiring in a few years, gotta watch I don't go on an acquisition binge when I have more free time, but I think I'm set for life, even with soap!

I’ve spent way more since I started DE shaving, but as others have said it’s been worth it. I look forward to my shave every day and thoroughly enjoy it. But psfred is right, retirement is dangerous. Too much time to spend on B & B reading about gear. I retired recently. I’ve ordered 2 new razors, 4 soap samples, another aftershave, and a new boar in the last 10 days. I keep telling myself there are much worse habits.

My first couple years of wet shaving, I purchased many items. Mostly stuff I didn’t really need. I hate “stuff”.

A few years on, I realized how wasteful, and selfish I had become. I don’t want to live this way. So, for 3 years now, I have not purchased a single shaving item. I still have enough to get through another yearly sabbatical, and once I’m out of a single product, I will replace it with another single product. I can enjoy a nice shaving experience without the extra clutter, and dents to my wallet.

Live simply, folks. Take only what you need.

I started off with the intent of saving money while getting good shaves. The latter part is true while the first part is a little off.

I'd say before wet shaving, I'd spend a minimal amount on shaving. I would use one cartridge razor for months. I didn't enjoy shaving and I didn't hate it either. It was just something that I had to do. I really don't remember too much about cartridge shaving.

Once I started wet shaving, I spend around couple hundred bucks to begin. That was a lot more than I wanted to spend but I wanted to try out all the budget options first. EJ DE89, Maggard razors, Razorock soaps, Proraso, etcs. Once I got used to those, I wanted to venture out into artisan soaps. Then onto artisan brushes.. and razors. This rolled on into a giant snowball until late NOV last year where I realized that there was no stop to this. I decided strictly to go on restraint and for about a month, I haven't bought anything shaving related.

I'm planning to sit out the entire 2020 but I still want to try out new gears. I'm hoping that once 2021 hits, I'll be able to restrain myself further. We'll see...

Top Bottom