What's new

Anyone actually saving money?

I was shaving with Xtreme3 disposables with brush and cream. About a month ago I switched to SR shaving.

To set me up I purchased a Titan T.H.60 6/8 razor, 65mm calf hide/denim strop, stropping wax, 3k natural stone, 3 x balsa strops, diamond paste and 7 x lapping film sheets. Total cost was USD 64.

I am happy using my existing brush and cream with my SR. The disposables were costing me about USD 2 per week.

Provided I can keep RAD at bay, I should be ahead by the middle of 2020.

Is there an RAD vaccine I can get?
Yeah Maggards but it’s ineffective!😀

Between the number of disposable razors of all kinds, DE blades I have, brushes, soap, aftershave and post shave balm...if I never bought another item I’ll die before I use it all up. Oh look, here’s a $3.00 off coupon and the store has it on markdown!

I can't say I've saved any money at this point. I haven't bought much of anything this past year and still have a fairly small stock of items. Once I get through a few yearly restraints I'll have saved money.

Arguably, one DOES save on actual shaving per day costs.

A bit of soap; imperceptible wear on a brush, and a sixth of an 8 cent blade.

As opposed to some costly multiblade cart use, yes there is savings per day.

Its the fun hobby of collecting 83 soaps and aftershaves that kills you ...
yeah_that.gif

I'm probably set for life on everything except AS.
That won't stop me from spending, but it's collecting that's expensive, not shaving!

I would say I saved money compared to getting barbershop haircuts instead of at home cuts and having to always either get a new razor or shampoo. $25 on 100 Feather blades, $25 for 85 Gillette razor. I could go by one shave cream but I'm still new with over a year under my belt. $36 for my shave bowls and $15 on my synthetic brush. This was over the course of 6 months that I got all the right supplies. Now in still working on finding the right shave soap and cream that doesn't dry my face much. Proraso is interesting amd fun but I wanna try better quality.

For a 10 year time period:

2x Electric razor=$100
New blade carrier for said electric razor every 6 months =$700
Total=$800

To get started, DE equipment:
Wilkinson Sword Classic = $12
Omega Boar brush = $12
subtotal= $24.
New soap every 6 months for 10 years= $200
Blade estimate = $170
Total ~ $400

I have since purchased 2 Techs for $35...so $435

I forgot to mention, I did not get into wet shaving to save money. I shaved my head with an electric and was horrible and painful. Then I tried with the disposables I had and that was bad, too. So I got a Merkur Progress and some blades....that is what started it....shave was great and then I was in the rabbit hole taking turns and diving in..... It's all good.... Now I can use carts some times.... if I want...but they are $$$

It never crossed my mind to save money, except that my shaving purchases would no longer end up in the garbage as waste. I've spent thousands out of curiosity. I've never bought large amounts of consumables, I don't use AS and pretty much only buy soap samples now. As for razors most of them don't depreciate much. So once my curiosity runs out I'll probably thin down to a few razors. What has saved me money is reading shaving forums instead of German cars and bikes.

I've gone through a few binges plus a couple of purges over the years since I started this whole thing. I'm not sure I've saved much money but looking over the past 12 years, I really haven't spent more than I would have otherwise. I've had a couple of years in there where I didn't buy any soap or cream, plus I've avoided the expensive acquisition disorders such as shaving brushes, high-end razors, and artisan soaps/creams. I've done a little experimenting lately to find out what really works for me. I think one more cupboard cleaning will be coming soon, probably in the form of a PIF, and then I'm going to settle in on a set of products for the long haul.

Before I had one razor some carts and a can of gel

if you see the den picture you know that there is serious rad which I try to control.

OTOH I have Fun, met some interesting people in the process and I went from a terrible shave to a damn fine shave in the process

now sell of some of the not used stuff and go on having fun
Where did you get the Broman razor?

I am attending barber college at Bates Technical College in Tacoma! 💈😄

I just spent $500 on a custom 9/8" straight razor from Shavesmith and I have two new Thiers Issard 5/8" razors purchased from The Art of Shaving, a boutique shop in Southcenter Mall, Tukwilla, WA. I also have Norton kit with 1K, 4K, 8K grit stones, a vintage Pike Ezy-Edge barber hone, and the strop. I also have a 1940's vintage Koken barber chair that I am restoring.

It is all an investment. 💈🙂

Nope, but I've never shaved this well in my entire life! My once-a-week shave always sucked and I spent the prime of my life looking like an ape at work. What did that cost me?

And now that I've figured out what works and what doesn't, my annual spending will decrease and the running average will be very low too. I also have enough quality stuff to shave with for a decade.

If you play your cards right and don't go too crazy, you'll probably spend what you would've spent on carts anyway, on average, over the long haul.

I view this as a hobby, not just a daily necessity. As a hobby, I get immense pleasure from learning, trying, & buying shave related items. If this were just a daily necessity, I would reduce my spending considerably, because this hobby isn’t conducive to saving money.

Nope, nope, nope.

I got into safety razors to shave money compared to carts. I bought and used a EJ DE89 for about 6 months with canned foam/goo. My wife for Christmas bought be two soaps, a bowl, and a brush. I enjoyed the soaps and brush. I used the two soaps, bought a third and mostly stuck to that for 4-6 months.

The floodgates really opened when I found some Gillettes out in the wild. The RAD hit hard and fast. This has become a hobby for me, so investing some time and money is no issue as it's within financial bounds. That said I am slowing down on trying everything and have implemented a sell enough to pay for any purchases.

I'm in the 2020 sabbatical. So if I make it, I'll save as of 2020 :)

Top Bottom