What's new

Started teaching my son to shave and...

Brother boo,

Respectfully, why did you wait until your son was 15 years old? Certain male skills should be role modeled and caught at an early age. I was blessed to watch in fasciation and in envy as my father shaved with a "brass colored Gillette DE razor with a 'ball' on the end of the handle." (It may have been a Gillette Good Will razor from the early 1930's, but who knows?) I was maybe 5 years old and it was during the early years of WW2. I could hardly wait until it was my time to do it.

Similar skills that could and should be taught to children and caught at an early age are the care and maintenance of one's shoes, and the care and maintenance of one's teeth.

An orientation to "the how to" of all three of these activities (shaving, shoes, and teeth) can be handled by an elementary school age child and potentially will pay handsome dividends in adulthood. But the older the child is before starting this line of education, and example, the more difficult for the seed to germinate and take root.

Most young children like parental guidance for awhile, but teenagers much less so. It will be normal for your son to shave with the hardware that he sees his peers are using, at least initially.

Adolescence is the most challenging time in a boy's life. Remember our own experiences during adolescence? [Shudder]

Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited:
Interesting notion of trying to teach him "your way" of shaving, when one considers that for much of the 20th Century it was the way of shaving.

I work with two guys in their 20s. One look at them close-up reveals that they shower shave indifferently, and with cheap disposables. Missed areas, that sort of thing.

hey boo.. i am sort of going through the same thing.. tried showing my boy the light last year with DE but he wasnt interested.. too hard to much effort was the reply

my advice to you is dont push it, it will only serve to make the experience for both of you bad. I am sure one day he will come around.

all i did for now was stop buying the canned goo.. when he wants a shave he just lets me know and i whip him up a bowl of lather.. this serves two purposes, firstly it helps me get rid of a bit more of my many many soaps, second whether he knows it or not, the lather alone is exceptional to the goo.. one day i plan to stop making it and if he doenst want to learn to make it then he can get the canned goo himself, then he will know the quality of a good lather and believe he will make it himself

in regards to the razor i had him on disposable bics but have since got him a mach3. I am sure that one day the curiosity will get the better of him and he will want to try DE, when he does i will be there to offer advice and help him

The problem is teens do not need to shave for work and enjoy to sport a bit of hair.. but once they start needing to shave every day for work or what ever and the experience is terrible due to razor burn, poor results whatever they will enquire

that's all we can really do mate

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
When the time came {teens} I handed my 2 a can of goop and a bag of bic's told them if they wanted to shave with anything else feel fee to buy anything you like with your own money
there in there 40's now 1 has a beard the other wet shaves with a de

Brother boo,

Respectfully, why did you wait until your son was 15 years old? Certain male skills should be role modeled and caught at an early age.

As I said in the post, the grandparents sort of cocked up my plans by buying him the Philips One Blade (without asking me first), I had planned to teach him to shave but he didn't even want to consider it once he had that. Plus I had a full beard for most of his life so he's never really seen me shave until the past few years.

Thanks @StratMan that's not a bad idea, I've gone with a box of 60 Gillette Guards instead of the Mach 3 but I'll definitely try whipping him up some lather.

Thanks everyone, all your comments are appreciated and taken on board, whether I've replied to you personally or not.

Started with a disposable Bic at 15. Then my sister bought me a mach 3 which seemed great when compared to the crappy disposable. Now at 20 I discovered DE. I discovered it without my dad shaving that way. Your son has that stuff close to him. One day he will just grab a razor and give it a go. Disclaimer : Please only have mild razors on display, we don't want an R41 traumatizing first time experience.

Get him an injector razor and a can of Barbasol if he doesn't want to make a proper lather with soap and brush. The injector is a great razor to learn proper shaving technique with and the blades are inexpensive.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

In my opinion , you gave him “your “ way of shaving . Let him make his own choice on how he would prefer to shave. DE shaving is not for everyone. In time he will do what works best for him.

+1! You tried! Hope that he will see the light eventually!

Until he looks forward to it, it is a utilitarian task-he has to do it. We all want a kept yard, but some people take pride in how their yard looks, other folks just don’t care. At 15, it won’t register until that girl holds his face in her hands or that person that registers a connection, comments how well kept he looks. Shaving is about motivation. Everything we do is about motivation.
He’s 15. I have yet to meet a 15 year old that doesn’t cost extra.
Can’t drive, but has a driver’s social calendar.
Can’t officially have a paying job, but wants to spend money like they are gainfully employed.
Just old enough to make really bad personal decisions.
However, at 15, they are young enough to have a safety net for after they fall. That net is you. Hang in there. They don’t love shaving yet, but if you make a big deal out of it, they will likely hate it. If it becomes more important than they are, they will resent it. Roll with it. When they are ready, you will be the go-to guy.

I started with a Gillette Trac 2 only because I watched my father slice his face up with a super speed. He never got the hang of DE’s.
After several years with carts I left the dark side and went to the holy grail. DE’s, SE’s and vintage wedges. Have never looked back.
Let him find his way. Once he becomes money strapped from buying the carts, he’ll come around and start watching you in earnest. It’s a process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup.
I think I was 7 here:
Mind you, my blade was die-cut printed cardboard and the razor was plastic.

that's super!!
this one from nearly 4 decades ago!!
note the shag carpet!

proxy.php

or should I just get him a Mach3 and a can of foam and leave him to get on with it?

You are a victim of the insane internet notion (cultivated only in shaving forums) that you can't get a fantastic shave with a DE razor without using the boring and useless brush/soap/cream/lathering procedure.

NOBODY ,if he is not a shaving buff,has the TIME and patience to do the whole brush shenanigan.

Give your son a decent DE razor and a can of foam and teach him the essentials of shaving technique.

That's what MY father did back in 1980 and that is what I do with all my DE "converters" (my son included).

After almost 40 years I still get a fantastic daily BBS by using the 5 minute shaving routine my father taught me by using a DE and canned foam.

Your deal breaker is the brush not the DE razor :)

I have "converted" a significant amount of my friends to DE shaving this way.

Last edited:
that's super!!
this one from nearly 4 decades ago!!
note the shag carpet!

proxy.php

Haha carpet in the bathroom, pure unadulterated luxury :D

This thread is turning into a classic, I'll have to upload a pic of me tossing some Gillette Guards and a can of foam on my son's desk as my contribution when the razors arrive :D

Top Bottom