What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm happy that it can help someone. I will be posting the next shave stick soonish.

I will also prepare what's required to update post 1.

I'm technically on the last shave stick since I've started this journey.

Tabac is a good size shave stick but it works so well that I can afford just leaving with that one if I have to. I have a small reserve of that shave stick at home. I need to sous-vide a couple of them so they don't loose much scent.

I'm happy that it can help someone. I will be posting the next shave stick soonish.

I will also prepare what's required to update post 1.

I'm technically on the last shave stick since I've started this journey.

Tabac is a good size shave stick but it works so well that I can afford just leaving with that one if I have to. I have a small reserve of that shave stick at home. I need to sous-vide a couple of them so they don't loose much scent.

On the last shave stick - Now that's an accomplishment. Not to mention the body of shave stick expertise that you've amassed. We're all in your debt.

Luc

Staff member
Here it is, the last shave stick for this thread (for now).

I picked the Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage and Cedar Shave stick to finish this. I've been using it for a bit more than a week now. I will jump right away in the first impressions steps.

I picked that one as I heard of Ogallala many years ago but never really paid attention to it. I probably should've but didn't. I think it's just fair that this one is included here as there are more obscure shave sticks in this thread.

The lather on this one is better than the previous shave stick (Elvado). I only have a small issue with it at the moment and I believe the bay rum is the guilty bit. I have a small burning sensation during pass #2 and #3 while shaving which is not the worse thing ever but it's not great. I do not get a bad reaction, no red skin or anything like it.

That's it for now.

Attachments

• $IMG_4796.jpg
    $IMG_4796.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 85
  • $IMG_4797.jpg
    $IMG_4797.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 88
  • $IMG_4798.jpg
    $IMG_4798.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 90

Luc

Staff member
I have some Haslinger pucks that are yet to be used. I will probably use them as shave sticks with a bit of foil.

Luc

Staff member
A review is coming for the bay rum shave stick. In the interim, I'm thinking of the next project as I may come back to this thread later (after the final review) but may start another one in a couple of weeks...

I have some Haslinger pucks that are yet to be used. I will probably use them as shave sticks with a bit of foil.
I like the idea of shave sticks, but have only used La Toja and Arko. After pondering that shave sticks are simply a method of conveyance, I've started using hard pucks as pseudo-sticks. One thing I always do is dry my hands completely before picking up the puck. So far I've used Fine Platinum and Pre de Provence #63 with great success. I only do 3 swipes before building lather with a 24x51 Stirling synthetic brush... A swipe down each jawline and one across the moustache area. Just those three provide me with plenty of soap to build a great lather. I like a wetter, slicker lather, so I leave a good amount of water in the brush before starting.

Luc

Staff member
I should be in a position to post an updated thread soonish as I am done with the last shave stick and I need to fix post 1 eventually. It's been fun!

I should be in a position to post an updated thread soonish as I am done with the last shave stick and I need to fix post 1 eventually. It's been fun!

This is one of the great B&B threads, but it's too long for me to re-read all of it. Can anyone remember if there was a consensus of the best, say, 5-10 sticks for travel, not including ground-up pucks? If I remember, the list might include Tabac, Wilk, Palmolive and Speick, and maybe D.R. Harris, La Toja and Arko. While we're at it, are there any new entries?

This is one of the great B&B threads, but it's too long for me to re-read all of it. Can anyone remember if there was a consensus of the best, say, 5-10 sticks for travel, not including ground-up pucks? If I remember, the list might include Tabac, Wilk, Palmolive and Speick, and maybe D.R. Harris, La Toja and Arko. While we're at it, are there any new entries?

The first post in this thread, @Luc lists the top 12 or sticks that he rated as "would buy again." I believe they were in order of his preference? Then there is a dotted line under those 12, so below dotted line were not worth picking up.

Top three were: Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick, Tabac Shaving Stick, and Speick Shaving Stick.

I read the whole thread a while back and picked up most of the sticks to try when I went through a shaving stick run. I still use Wilkinson Sword stick and Speick stick once a week usually. They work well and in just about any water.

I agree, this is one of the great B&B threads. I have really enjoyed it!

The first post in this thread, @Luc lists the top 12 or sticks that he rated as "would buy again." I believe they were in order of his preference? Then there is a dotted line under those 12, so below dotted line were not worth picking up.

Top three were: Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick, Tabac Shaving Stick, and Speick Shaving Stick.

I read the whole thread a while back and picked up most of the sticks to try when I went through a shaving stick run. I still use Wilkinson Sword stick and Speick stick once a week usually. They work well and in just about any water.

I agree, this is one of the great B&B threads. I have really enjoyed it!

Thanks for the reminder. Blade4vor. Going back to the origin is how to deal with this thread quickly, but, as you say, there's a lot more good info in the 1,100+ posts. I've had good results from the Wilk, Tabac and D.R. Harris sticks. Mystic Water and Kell's Original aren't on the lists, but they're also quality products. I'll renew my other question: While we're at it, are there any new entries?

I am with you in the reading this thread was a lot of fun. Having tried some of the sticks/soaps I tell you my experience/preference is a little different from Luc's. Wilkinson makes a beautiful lather, but its protective abilities are not there, IME. We agree on Tabac, but from me, of those in his test, Valora should be the very first one, as it hits on all aspects I want on a soap. It does leave some white residue behind but, other then that, it simply is a superior soap IMO.
What Luc did was/is a great service to us all, and an endurance effort that I don't think I would put up with.
For me, the most important take away from this great thread was to put any puck I like directly on my face. It makes lathering so much easier, you learn about all the characteristics of the soap and simply a completely different experience.
Aside from those in Luc's list, I put Mystic Waters and Mike's Natural at the very top.
(add YMMV to taste)

I have this thread on my "watched threads" list. Was surprised to get a notification of a new post to it.

Definitely a great thread.. would be great to see @Luc stop in and say hi. Hope he's doing well.

As for shave sticks, aside from making my own, I always keep four Tabac sticks on hand at all times.

I am obsessed with shave sticks. All I’ve been doing for weeks is rubbing my haslingers puck and stirling samples on my face then face lathering to great results!

It totally changed my opinion of haslingers too. I thought it was just ok before. Now I love it!

Good points here recently, folks!

One thing that I wanted to mention was that as @Luc went through the various shave sticks in this thread, one of the factors taken into consideration was the ability to lather in all types of water. I know some soaps can cause issues lathering in hard or very hard water.

Here is a link to a thread about Turkish shave sticks mentioned by @Luc in this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ve-Sticks-(All-Turkish-shave-sticks-reviewed)
This is a good one for shave stick fans. Some of the Turkish shave sticks are very hard to find or maybe even discontinued.

This is a very interesting thread. I also love shave sticks. I think it is the best way to make lather. Luc didn't want to test artistic soaps. He just tested the main stream ones.
I have to agree as it was mentioned above that Mystic Water is an outstanding performer. It is my favorite stick.

RazoRock_MW.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom