What's new

What Are You Reading?

Parade's End, by Ford Madox Ford. Fabulous, 4-volume WW1 novel, written in an impressionistic style that might take some getting used to. I read it first, years ago, when I was first knocked over by his The Good Soldier, still one of the two or three best novels I ever read. So this is technically a reread, but even better than I remember.

There was a PBS version recently of Parade's End, with Benedict Cummerbund starring.

Any other Ford Madox Ford fans out there?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
2397C9C4-5A83-4699-A7F9-B4A7F599CE4E.jpeg The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Good Clean Fun, Misadventures In Sawdust by Nick Offerman

Basically a comical yet informative woodworking book by Nick Offerman. So far so good!

The Virtue of War by Stephen Pressfield. I really enjoy his historical military fiction. Gates of Fire is his best but this one is pretty good too.

I just started reading Bleak House by Dickens. (Hooray for gutenberg.org and public domain epub books.)
I never considered reading it before because I thought it was all about miserable people in a workhouse or something, but it turns out it's more of a satire. I found this out after looking up the backgrounds of some of the characters in the TV series "Dickensian" on Netflix.
So far it's fairly hilarious.
The only negative part might be the extreme length of his sentences. I often have to backtrack to see what he was talking about at the start. The built-in dictionary on the Kobo Aura helps too, for older meanings of otherwise familiar words.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Fellow Readers:
Now, I'm reading Luke Jennings follow-up novel (the first being "Codename Villanelle"), "Villanelle: No Tomorrow".
proxy.php

The Plot:
"In a hotel room in Venice, where she's just completed a routine assassination, Villanelle receives a late-night call.

Eve Polastri has discovered that a senior MI5 officer is in the pay of the Twelve, and is about to debrief him. As Eve interrogates her subject, desperately trying to fit the pieces of the puzzle together, Villanelle moves in for the kill.

The duel between the two women intensifies, as does their mutual obsession, and when the action moves from the high passes of the Tyrol to the heart of Russia, Eve finally begins to unwrap the enigma of her adversary's true identity".

proxy.php

Work Cited: Villanelle: No Tomorrow

proxy.php
“To live fully, one has to read widely”. CBJ

PS Here's the 'chilling' Trailer for "Killing Eve: Season 2" (release date on AMC & BBC America...this Spring –
Sunday 7 April 19);

Last edited:
Fellow Readers:
Now, I'm reading Luke Jennings follow-up novel (the first being "Codename Villanelle"), "Villanelle: No Tomorrow".
proxy.php

The Plot:
"In a hotel room in Venice, where she's just completed a routine assassination, Villanelle receives a late-night call.

Eve Polastri has discovered that a senior MI5 officer is in the pay of the Twelve, and is about to debrief him. As Eve interrogates her subject, desperately trying to fit the pieces of the puzzle together, Villanelle moves in for the kill.

The duel between the two women intensifies, as does their mutual obsession, and when the action moves from the high passes of the Tyrol to the heart of Russia, Eve finally begins to unwrap the enigma of her adversary's true identity".

proxy.php

Work Cited: Villanelle: No Tomorrow

proxy.php
“To live fully, one has to read widely”. CBJ

PS Here's the 'chilling' Trailer for "Killing Eve: Season 2" (release date on AMC & BBC America...this Spring –
Sunday 7 April 19);

I really enjoyed the series, I'll have to get the books.

Right now I'm enjoying Roger Daltrey's memoir, Thanks Mr. Kibblewhite, a great companion to Pete Townshend's Who I Am which I read a couple years ago. It really hammers home the dynamic between the two that make them so potent together.

The first season of Killing Eve was great. Am looking forward to the second.

I should read those The Who memoirs. I would consider myself a Pete Townsend fan. Whereas Daltrey has seemed a bit, shall we say, "crude." Quite the foursome. Certainly the best rock and roll concert I ever saw.

I read this last night. It's sort of a one-sitting short story. Jonathan Livingston Seagull is OK, I guess. There were some good parts and good messages in it, but I guess my brain doesn't operate on a level to get the deep meaning that is supposed to make it so popular.

proxy.php

Other than a few short stories, the only thing I've been reading are articles on basic mathematics and log and trig tables. The mathematics articles came about when I realized I'd only been taught the brute force method of finding square roots. The log and trig tables came about from the odd notion to make a small shirt pocket booklet, and wanted to look at styles. That booklet idea came about from tinkering with slide rules again.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Other than a few short stories, the only thing I've been reading are articles on basic mathematics and log and trig tables. The mathematics articles came about when I realized I'd only been taught the brute force method of finding square roots. The log and trig tables came about from the odd notion to make a small shirt pocket booklet, and wanted to look at styles. That booklet idea came about from tinkering with slide rules again.
Do you use slide rules? I have a couple of K&Es that I was going to learn how to use, but never got around to it. If you’re in the US and want them, they’re yours. I’ll send pics if needed. I don’t want anything for them- just trying to get rid of things in my life that I don’t use.

Top Bottom