What's new

NDC Super Speed Date Info

Hey all
Checked out a local flea market and came away with a NDC Super Speed (pics to follow after a bit more cleaning) and would like some verification in regards to some date clues I've dug up.
No date code: post WWII to 1950.
Notched center bar: 1948 to 1950.
Patent numbers info inside is full "package" vs "pkg": 1948/1949.
From what I've turned up I've got a 48/49 SS, that sound right?

That sounds about right. Especially if where the head attaches to the handle it is smooth around the center rod hole. That changed to a raised rib around 1950.

It could still be 1950. Achim has an example on his site with blades coded V-2, but PACKAGE spelled out. Gillette rarely made things easy for us.

Here are photos that mr-razor has posted on the subject in this thread.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It could still be 1950. Achim has an example on his site with blades coded V-2, but PACKAGE spelled out. Gillette rarely made things easy for us.

That makes it look like they changed the way the head mounts before they ran out of the older style "PACKAGE" base plate.

Last edited:
That makes it look like they changed the way the head mounts before they ran out of the older style "PACKAGE" base plate.

Could well be. I imagine Gillette often did runs of a particular part, and then used them until they ran out. But if a razor might have a 1949 plate and a 1950 handle... when was it made?

Anyway, here is the set I had in mind - via Achim:

Thanks guys
Looks like I've got an early 1950 SS as I've got the flush mount ring visible but not raised.

Top Bottom