What's new

Grooming Dept club

I used Prosaso Pre-Shave for a good while. Swore by it. Thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Until my technique improved and i got good at using the DE. Then I realized it was a waste of time and money. Didn’t improve my shave at all. I’ve never used any Grooming Dept. product. But a pre-shave of any brand/kind would be last on my list. Same with pre-shave oils. Gimmicks and not necessary IMO.
Same here. It's all about the technique.

I consider an adequate amount of prep an important part of my shave. It may not necessarily be a certain product like this is. Is prep a part of technique? Arguably.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, though he has some baggage that some in the wet shaving community don't want to forget, ( I can careless about it as I've not a single bad experience with his business) he is brilliant at marketing and promoting his product line.
This is true.

I consider an adequate amount of prep an important part of my shave. It may not necessarily be a certain product like this is. Is prep a part of technique? Arguably.

That’s a good one for another thread. It definitely is debatable for sure.

Same here. It's all about the technique.

Hmmm.... I didn’t know that technique and cold steel provides essential vitamins, fatty acids and skin moisturizing properties. I might have to google that and see if there is a razor that provides those benefits with “sound technique”. Interesting.....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I didn’t know that technique and cold steel provides essential vitamins, fatty acids and skin moisturizing properties. I might have to google that and see if there is a razor that provides those benefits with “sound technique”. Interesting.....
So I’m to beleive that in the short time (2, 3, 4, 5 minutes?) that these vitamins, acids and moisturizing properties are on your skin they are absorbed enough to cause a superior shave than without using the pre-shave? Interesting for sure.....

In my experience with this product, it’s not the shave itself that’s improved as much as it’s the post shave. The first day I tried it, I felt like I had used a balm after the shave (even though I has used an alcohol based splash and no balm). And not just any balm...a really good one. The second day I used it, I paired it with a Chatillon Lux splash and the post shave was even better. Like I said, I was highly skeptical, but gave it a chance and it far exceeded my expectations.

I don’t know anything about acids or vitamins or anything, but I know that my face has never felt so consistently good (after shaving) before I started using the GD preshave.

So I’m to beleive that in the short time (2, 3, 4, 5 minutes?) that these vitamins, acids and moisturizing properties are on your skin they are absorbed enough to cause a superior shave than without using the pre-shave? Interesting for sure.....

No, not at all. The benefit is more long term with prolonged use. Still, I haven’t seen a piece of steel release any skin conditioning goodness yet. Don’t get me wrong, technique is one of the building blocks for achieving a good close clean shave. But, that piece of steel is doing something that is not a natural act. We are taking a piece of steel and running it across our faces. That steel with impeccable precision and technique will remove the whiskers, dead skin cells and yes, healthy ones also. Soap can only do so much to replenish the lost moisture and skin damage that can occur during a shave. And yes, if you do look up some of those ingredients that are in a preshave cream, soap or post shave skin care products, there are items that the skin absorbs instantaneously. You use a splash or a balm, does it just sit on your top layer of the epidermis for hours waiting for the skin to absorb it? No, it’s nearly instantaneous. So why would you think that a preshave that has some of those same ingredients that are in a soap and in post care products not be absorbed in the same manner?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Which ingredients in this preshave are absorbed instantaneously? Or any preshave, soap, cream, etc.
From what I just looked up most skin care products take roughly 30 minutes to absorb. And also I just learned that “absorb” means to enter your bloodstream. So perhaps we should actually be using “penetrate”.

Chemicals can be used to help the absorption or penetration faster. But “instantaneously” I say is debatable. The reason the preshave is different is because you are shaving it off your face. Not allowing it time to work. Aftershave lotion or splash is applied last. It’s allowed time to absorb or penetrate. It’s not being removed with a razor. Also, as you say, the razor is removing dead skin cells and healthy skin cells. So woudln’t it stand to reason that if these ingredients are absorbed instantaneously they are then being removed by the razor blade which is scrapping off the dead and healthy skin cells that absorbed the ingredients? There’s only so far that vitamins and minerals can penetrate our skin. At the very least there has to be LESS ingredients absorbed because the skin cells holding them are being removed with the blade. Unless we now want it talk about how far the ingredients penetrate our skin :001_tongu

Use what you like. Have fun doing it. Thanks for the fun.

While this has been an interesting, though awkward back and forth - It’s true the entire process does not start instantaneously, but it does begin with contact.

And also I just learned that “absorb” means to enter your bloodstream.

I’m not sure what source you’re using for the definition of “absorb” but it is important to note the main definition is simply “to take in”; to take into the bloodstream is just a common example stated, not the definition.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Dont forget reversing the aging process. Tightening skin. Removing wrinkles and crows feet ....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
While this has been an interesting, though awkward back and forth - It’s true the entire process does not start instantaneously, but it does begin with contact.

I’m not sure what source you’re using for the definition of “absorb” but it is important to note the main definition is simply “to take in”; to take into the bloodstream is just a common example stated, not the definition.
Ya got me. Chalk it up.
“Absorb in to the skin and in to the body”. Hopefully the CDC is a good source....
CDC - Skin Exposures and Effects - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic

Absorb - penetrate - whatever ya call it doesn’t change the argument I suppose.

Ya got me. Chalk it up.
“Absorb in to the skin and in to the body”. Hopefully the CDC is a good source....
CDC - Skin Exposures and Effects - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic

Absorb - penetrate - whatever ya call it doesn’t change the argument I suppose.

No one’s counting points here. At least I hope not...I’ve made my fair share of mistakes, lol. :001_tongu

I think I’ve helped derail this poor man’s thread enough. I’ll be quiet now.

Thanks for your thoughts Gus!

I'm with Gus. I was a tester of the pre-shave (v35, as I recall), and enjoyed it so much I bought a tub of the commercially-released tub. I've used the tub exactly once, this morning, so I don't have much meaningful input, except that I plan to use it again tomorrow (and every day thereafter). I often confess to being a philosophy major, and zone out when things get too "scientific," but I found my shave this morning to be better than normal. Was it the Grooming pre-shave product? Who knows? But I'll still use it again tomorrow...

That’s a good one for another thread. It definitely is debatable for sure.

Hmmm.... I didn’t know that technique and cold steel provides essential vitamins, fatty acids and skin moisturizing properties. I might have to google that and see if there is a razor that provides those benefits with “sound technique”. Interesting.....
I have two words for you.

Cognitive dissonance.

This is the case.

I don't want to blame you. We've all been there at some point in our wet shaving journey.

Also, if you think that a pre-shave really offers superior shaves, your technique is not good enough. End of story.

Cognitive dissonance.

This is the case.

I don't want to blame you. We've all been there at some point in our wet shaving journey.

Also, if you think that a pre-shave really offers superior shaves, your technique is not good enough. End of story.

A "superior" shave IMO is usually a combo of factors that includes good prep, good soap/cream, a good blade and a razor best suited to your face/technique. Screw up any one of these factors and it's a rapid descent into misery.

The "X" factor in any review/opinion is that we don't really know one another or just how good a shaver the other party is. Just as with any endeavor some people learn quickly & progress while others stagnate and never gain any proficiency. As well, it's easy to fall prey to the belief that some "magical" product(s) will solve all our woes.

Cognitive dissonance.

This is the case.

Sorry that you haven't learned anything from our previous exchanges. Can't teach old dogs new tricks....

As they say "Ignorance is Bliss".

Keep living the dream honcho. You're doing fine..... :001_cool:

Get over it and move on...

Which ingredients in this preshave are absorbed instantaneously? Or any preshave, soap, cream, etc.
From what I just looked up most skin care products take roughly 30 minutes to absorb. And also I just learned that “absorb” means to enter your bloodstream. So perhaps we should actually be using “penetrate”.

Chemicals can be used to help the absorption or penetration faster. But “instantaneously” I say is debatable. The reason the preshave is different is because you are shaving it off your face. Not allowing it time to work. Aftershave lotion or splash is applied last. It’s allowed time to absorb or penetrate. It’s not being removed with a razor. Also, as you say, the razor is removing dead skin cells and healthy skin cells. So woudln’t it stand to reason that if these ingredients are absorbed instantaneously they are then being removed by the razor blade which is scrapping off the dead and healthy skin cells that absorbed the ingredients? There’s only so far that vitamins and minerals can penetrate our skin. At the very least there has to be LESS ingredients absorbed because the skin cells holding them are being removed with the blade. Unless we now want it talk about how far the ingredients penetrate our skin :001_tongu

Use what you like. Have fun doing it. Thanks for the fun.

I had no intention of making this a verbal exchange on who's got a bigger stick. No, my point is this and only this. For those that do use a preshave and have found it to be beneficial during their shaving routine, the GD product is worthy of consideration and has been one of the best products, if not the best that I've used to date. I never stated that those who don't use it are missing out. Do I recommend it to anyone and everyone? Absolutely, it has worked for me and who wouldn't want some extra skin conditioning goodness?

It is all a suggestion solely based out of my own personal experience. I was not making a personal attack or trying to wage a war against those who don't use and care for preshave products. And like I stated previously, I only use a preshave when I straight shave or am using a rather aggressive feeling razor. This stuff works for me in those scenarios. And now, I just might use it for every shave.

I respect your thoughts and opinions in what you believe in and we can, as gentlemen can and will do, is agree to respectfully disagree on certain subjects.
There is no wrong or right in wet shaving, it's only what's right for any individual. For me, that is the rule.....

Again, my apologies if my thoughts or questions caused any doubt or frustration to you or anyone else who's commented and expressed an opinion here. :thumbup1:

A "superior" shave IMO is usually a combo of factors that includes good prep, good soap/cream, a good blade and a razor best suited to your face/technique. Screw up any one of these factors and it's a rapid descent into misery.

The "X" factor in any review/opinion is that we don't really know one another or just how good a shaver the other party is. Just as with any endeavor some people learn quickly & progress while others stagnate and never gain any proficiency. As well, it's easy to fall prey to the belief that some "magical" product(s) will solve all our woes.
The only prep I do is applying warm water on my face before the lather.

It works great for me because my technique after all these years is pretty good. Also, I stopped experimenting with products.

It's down to your technique. A good combo of all these you mentioned is fine, but I don't know of any really bad soap that won't give you a good shave with proper technique. Same with a razor. May not all razors suit you but that doesn't stop you from getting a good shave from any if your technique is good.

You can have the best equipment available, but if your technique sucks and you're a newbie that have spent hundreds of euros or dollars without focusing on improving your technique, you won't get good shaves. Best products don't guarantee good shaves. A good technique does guarantee them.

Last edited:
Sorry that you haven't learned anything from our previous exchanges. Can't teach old dogs new tricks....

As they say "Ignorance is Bliss".

Keep living the dream honcho. You're doing fine..... :001_cool:

Get over it and move on...

I had no intention of making this a verbal exchange on who's got a bigger stick. No, my point is this and only this. For those that do use a preshave and have found it to be beneficial during their shaving routine, the GD product is worthy of consideration and has been one of the best products, if not the best that I've used to date. I never stated that those who don't use it are missing out. Do I recommend it to anyone and everyone? Absolutely, it has worked for me and who wouldn't want some extra skin conditioning goodness?

It is all a suggestion solely based out of my own personal experience. I was not making a personal attack or trying to wage a war against those who don't use and care for preshave products. And like I stated previously, I only use a preshave when I straight shave or am using a rather aggressive feeling razor. This stuff works for me i those scenarios. And now, I just might use it for every shave.

I respect your thoughts and opinions in what you believe in and we can, as gentlemen can and will do, is agree to respectfully disagree on certain subjects.
There is no wrong or right in wet shaving, it's only what's right for any individual. For me, that is the rule.....

Again, my apologies if my thoughts or questions caused any doubt or frustration to you or anyone else who's commented and expressed an opinion here. [emoji106]1:
I don't even remember having previous exchanges with you. I don't even know you. If I'm lying or don't remember well, prove it. That didn't stop me from expressing my honest opinion. Live your dream thinking that any prep is more important than a proper technique. You are the one spending money on products that work as placebos, not me, so I don't really care. You can be persistent all you want. But since you write in a discussion forum and not in your personal blog, at least be prepared for different opinions. Chill out and don't act like someone who always want to have the last word on everything. This is the impression you give.

Top Bottom