What's new

Grooming Dept club

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I respect your thoughts and opinions in what you believe in and we can, as gentlemen can and will do, is agree to respectfully disagree on certain subjects.
There is no wrong or right in wet shaving, it's only what's right for any individual. For me, that is the rule.....

Again, my apologies if my thoughts or questions caused any doubt or frustration to you or anyone else who's commented and expressed an opinion here. :thumbup1:

I said “thanks for the fun” not “thanks for the high blood pressure” :lol: I’ve enjoyed reading your thoughts and expressing my own here.

Chill out and don't act like someone who always want to have the last word on everything. This is the impression you give.

Sometimes we need to take our own advice. I’m guilty myself at times. Nothing wrong with adding ‘the last word’ as long as your ‘last word’ adds value to the post and furthers the discussion in a respectful way.

I said “thanks for the fun” not “thanks for the high blood pressure” [emoji38] I’ve enjoyed reading your thoughts and expressing my own here.

Sometimes we need to take our own advice. I’m guilty myself at times. Nothing wrong with adding ‘the last word’ as long as your ‘last word’ adds value to the post and furthers the discussion in a respectful way.
By saying this, I meant in a way that does not add anything valueable to the discussion. I expressed my honest opinion in a respectful way both times and I felt being attacked by him because I expressed a different opinion. Who said that we have to agree on everything? I'm still waiting of proofs about past exchanges I had with him. He said that I didn't learn from them. Is he even serious?

Last edited:
I said “thanks for the fun” not “thanks for the high blood pressure” :lol: I’ve enjoyed reading your thoughts and expressing my own here.

Agreed. I myself included, do get into things a little too zealously. Again, no disrespect intended....

Happy shaves.....

And I fully explained why I said about his technique being not good. You can't say that a prep product does miracles if your shaving technique is excellent. I started a thread about prep products and if they are needed on another forum and most if not all gents said that technique is pretty much the most important factor of a shave and if you have this, there is no need for spending money on such products. So I'm not the only one. My point is: be prepared for different opinions when you start a thread. This is not your personal blog.

The best part about wet shaving in my opinion is experimenting before eventually settling down. I’ve done both and am now content. But importantly, we use what we individually feel gives us the best shave. Some use Barbasol with great success. Others shim their blades or, savagely, use an upside down baseplate. If a preshave works for you, great!

Again good stuff Gus. Anyone that really knows you here knows you add quality content & honest reviews of products that you are enthusiastic about. Also I'm pretty sure you got DE technique down pat my friend!

Again good stuff Gus. Anyone that really knows you here knows you add quality content & honest reviews of products that you are enthusiastic about. Also I'm pretty sure you got DE technique down pat my friend!

Hey brother! You know how it is. Take the good with the bad. Can't have soft skin on forums. Roll with the punches....:a11:
Happy shaves amigo....

So i’m currently working my way through a truly miserable soap (dry, disappearing lather. It’s not actually a shave soap though it was sold as such) and the original post, for the first time ever on b&b, convinced me to buy a product. Went to the website and every single preshave is sold out! Huge bummer. Does anyone know how fast this stuff gets restocked? Also, does anyone have a recoommendation for a truly top notch unscented preshave? I’m not at all into using preshave stuff but when i open a product i use it till it’s gone. So in order to preserve my face when i hit a miserable soap, i’m not thinking it best to get a preshave as backup. I know that sounds stupid and i recognize how illogical it is but that’s the way i am. Thanks!

So i’m currently working my way through a truly miserable soap (dry, disappearing lather. It’s not actually a shave soap though it was sold as such) and the original post, for the first time ever on b&b, convinced me to buy a product. Went to the website and every single preshave is sold out! Huge bummer. Does anyone know how fast this stuff gets restocked? Also, does anyone have a recoommendation for a truly top notch unscented preshave? I’m not at all into using preshave stuff but when i open a product i use it till it’s gone. So in order to preserve my face when i hit a miserable soap, i’m not thinking it best to get a preshave as backup. I know that sounds stupid and i recognize how illogical it is but that’s the way i am. Thanks!

It’s not too notch prep, but it’ll do when options and time are limited - Williams shave soap. I use this to help my prep on days I don’t go all out or am using a low tier 1/sub tier 1 soap. A quick (as in a wet, 5 second load from a bloomed puck, 30 seconds slapping it around areas to be shaved) lather whipped up on the face, let it sit a minute, then light rinse and do normal lathering with soap of the day. The Williams will leave a great slickness on the skin to help with the first couple passes.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Gus, thanks for the review. It's always nice to see people getting better shaves and wanting to spread the love. Is this an unscented product?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Based on what your lather is doing, you might be best off to avoid a preshave, and instead created a “super” lather by incorporating either Cremo, aloe Vera or even another shave cream. I think you’ll have better results this way. Good luck!

Gus, thanks for the review. It's always nice to see people getting better shaves and wanting to spread the love. Is this an unscented product?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
There is an unscented version, but it sold out before I could buy some (and I was about 1 minute after the sale opened). The scented versions are very low-scent. Mohammad said that he adds the scent purely to mask the scent of the preshave which some people find objectionable. I bought the Cedarwood and Lime and the Lavender and have only used the first. It does not interfere with soap scents at all and is barely noticeable when you put it on.

There is an unscented version, but it sold out before I could buy some (and I was about 1 minute after the sale opened). The scented versions are very low-scent. Mohammad said that he adds the scent purely to mask the scent of the preshave which some people find objectionable. I bought the Cedarwood and Lime and the Lavender and have only used the first. It does not interfere with soap scents at all and is barely noticeable when you put it on.

b995ea0b.gif

What he said.... :thumbup1:

The opening post explains things. It's all there....

Thank you. I have gone back to your OP and re-read it several times. Perhaps I missed your point again and again, but I don't see anything there that supports claims of long term benefits from only one or two weeks of use. Or am I to infer that your beta testing of V.1 through V.26 constitutes "long term"?

Thank you. I have gone back to your OP and re-read it several times. Perhaps I missed your point again and again, but I don't see anything there that supports claims of long term benefits from only one or two weeks of use. Or am I to infer that your beta testing of V.1 through V.26 constitutes "long term"?

Yes. That includes the time as a total from the 2 test samples up until now with the retail version. Roughly 8 weeks all told.

The only prep I do is applying warm water on my face before the lather.

It works great for me because my technique after all these years is pretty good. Also, I stopped experimenting with products.

It's down to your technique. A good combo of all these you mentioned is fine, but I don't know of any really bad soap that won't give you a good shave with proper technique. Same with a razor. May not all razors suit you but that doesn't stop you from getting a good shave from any if your technique is good.

You can have the best equipment available, but if your technique sucks and you're a newbie that have spent hundreds of euros or dollars without focusing on improving your technique, you won't get good shaves. Best products don't guarantee good shaves. A good technique does guarantee them.

I agree that almost all soaps for that matter are usually usable. However, if a razor is far too aggressive for your face and/or a blade dulled then it can quickly become an exercise in futility that technique won't always trump. I could probably navigate a Ferrari down a one lane pot hole filled, rough dirt road very slowly if needed, but why if I can take the expressway?

Some things obviously matter more in a great shave, but when all those factors are done well it makes for a more harmonious outcome which obviously includes technique. Just to add to your theory I use an old Gillette post-war Tech mostly as I took the time to learn how to operate it within its 'sweet spot' and am rewarded with superb shaves every time. But, it makes it easier to do so with a great soap, good prep and a top tier blade. That's the "expressway" for my Ferrari. ;)

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I was wondering if anyone can recommend any of the Declaration Grooming soaps? I read these are good soaps so I'm looking for scent wise. Just looking for you guys opinion and descriptions on scent and fragrances.

I have Neroli di Bois, Yuzu and Magnolia. I'd recommend all of them in an instant, especially the last two. Great scents, except they're all Grooming Dept....... At least "Grooming" is the same. Sold all my DGs.

Top Bottom