What's new

Grooming Dept club

So I found a Canadian supplier for GD and was trying to figure out which type to try first. I know that they have a lot of varieties but would like a recommendation for the best to try first. I hear the duck fat is pretty good, would that be a good first start and what about the scent, do the different animal fats cause an off scent?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'm trying to come to a similar decision with my 1st GD soap too. Some say the duck fat is superior and others say there is no perceptible difference between the formulas. Clear as mud right? Lol, I'm still debating.

If you search, there are a couple threads that discuss this subject.

I'm trying to come to a similar decision with my 1st GD soap too. Some say the duck fat is superior and others say there is no perceptible difference between the formulas. Clear as mud right? Lol, I'm still debating.

If you search, there are a couple threads that discuss this subject.

I wondered myself about the difference since one component isn't make or break for a soap and you don't see lard and other animal fats often used, which probably indicates there isn't a noticeable difference. I might just go with a regular tallow first since all of the duck fat is out of stock right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve inadvertently become a GD obsessive. It started with the original Mallard. As much as I like some of the vegan he does, the performance of the Mallard was a step up. The scent was ok, nothing special, and pretty mild. It became a daily use soap, despite the 40 or 50 odd soaps laying around. It’s just about gone.

Then I got the lamb tallow Angel. Same wonderful performance, with a wonderful moderately strong scent! Without consideration, it became my daily use soap. It’s also just about gone

Unfortunately, I missed out on the last release. I did get a couple of the new Mallard in the Kulfi scent from another source. Excellent performance, and good moderate strong scent, so I’m safe in my supply for a while!

I did pick up an Incense and Rose off the B/S/T. Beef tallow, wonderful scent, and performance is very close to the Duck and Lamb.

There should be a new one showing up soon. I happened to check the GD website at around 0500 on April 2nd, and discovered a limited release called Coattails. Pretty sure I got the very last one, as 1 minute later it was out of stock. Supposed to be a new and different base, an homage to the classic Italian soaps. Look forward to giving it a try.

The vegan is very good. Great performance, I just have a slight preference for the tallow soaps. I love the vegan Magnolia. A true sledgehammer scent!

Yea, I’ve inadvertently become a GD obsessive.
3A651979-6B52-434A-BF70-4EEF9E632831.jpeg

Interesting and congrats on finding a supplier.
My searches have been frustrating and been virtually impossible for me to find this soap anywhere, other than vegan at GD & WCS - only 2 sources I’ve uncovered. Other formulations seem to be instant “unobtanium”, so I just gave up on trying to find.
Shame since Incense and Rose (among others) sound interesting.

GD soaps are just amazing. Doesn't matter which base you choose, they all perform well. Their vegan is much better than many other vegan soaps on the market. The only base I haven't tried is Coatails, and they all have their own characteristics but the ones that come to mind are Mallard, Wonderland, Angel, and Chypre Confiere.

I’ve inadvertently become a GD obsessive. It started with the original Mallard. As much as I like some of the vegan he does, the performance of the Mallard was a step up. The scent was ok, nothing special, and pretty mild. It became a daily use soap, despite the 40 or 50 odd soaps laying around. It’s just about gone.

Then I got the lamb tallow Angel. Same wonderful performance, with a wonderful moderately strong scent! Without consideration, it became my daily use soap. It’s also just about gone

Unfortunately, I missed out on the last release. I did get a couple of the new Mallard in the Kulfi scent from another source. Excellent performance, and good moderate strong scent, so I’m safe in my supply for a while!

I did pick up an Incense and Rose off the B/S/T. Beef tallow, wonderful scent, and performance is very close to the Duck and Lamb.

There should be a new one showing up soon. I happened to check the GD website at around 0500 on April 2nd, and discovered a limited release called Coattails. Pretty sure I got the very last one, as 1 minute later it was out of stock. Supposed to be a new and different base, an homage to the classic Italian soaps. Look forward to giving it a try.

The vegan is very good. Great performance, I just have a slight preference for the tallow soaps. I love the vegan Magnolia. A true sledgehammer scent!

Yea, I’ve inadvertently become a GD obsessive.
View attachment 873785

That's quite a collection! Thanks for the information!

Interesting and congrats on finding a supplier.
My searches have been frustrating and been virtually impossible for me to find this soap anywhere, other than vegan at GD & WCS - only 2 sources I’ve uncovered. Other formulations seem to be instant “unobtanium”, so I just gave up on trying to find.
Shame since Incense and Rose (among others) sound interesting.

I think the lamb is in stock at the supplier I found but the duck seems to have flown the coop.

GD soaps are just amazing. Doesn't matter which base you choose, they all perform well. Their vegan is much better than many other vegan soaps on the market. The only base I haven't tried is Coatails, and they all have their own characteristics but the ones that come to mind are Mallard, Wonderland, Angel, and Chypre Confiere.

I look forward to trying them.

Here’s what’s coming up very near term from Grooming Department...

New
---------------
- Tao (beef tallow): Grapefruit, Blackcurrant, Rhubarb, Rose, Gardenia, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Ambergris and Musk.
- Verbrannt (beef tallow): Leather, incense, pine resin, cedar leaves
- Naranja De Sangre (beef tallow): Blood Orange & Leather
- Sandalwood Fig Musk (beef tallow)
- Before The Fire (beef tallow+duckfat) - Barbershop

Restock
---------------
Lime (vegan)
Kölnisch (vegan)
Elan (vegan)
Flight
Wonderland
Magnolia & Oud
Mallard - Kulfi
Mallard - Chai
Mallard - Early Grey Gelato
After The Fire
Incense & Rose

The whole issue for me with GD is that there is simply no predictable availability of the stuff I would consider buying. And increasingly, the scarcity play is just plain annoying. I get it...hot new soapmaker, highly touted performance and loyal following. But I am not going to lose sleep over these soaps when there are so many with similar performance that are readily available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would love to get my hands on Angel eventually, but considering pulling the trigger on Magnolia at some point today. While it is their vegan base, I think it would be a great Spring scent to have, and haven't heard complaints about the performance. Like others have pointed out, the availability is pretty poor to say the least, which is understandable due to the popularity. Part of me wonders at times, however, if much of the intense interest is centered around just that. How many of us didn't add that one soap during checkout because we knew it would always be there next time around?

The whole issue for me with GD is that there is simply no predictable availability of the stuff I would consider buying. And increasingly, the scarcity play is just plain annoying. I get it...hot new soapmaker, highly touted performance and loyal following. But I am not going to lose sleep over these soaps when there are so many with similar performance that are readily available.

I agree. Not to mention the scents are not that appealing.

I would love to get my hands on Angel eventually, but considering pulling the trigger on Magnolia at some point today. While it is their vegan base, I think it would be a great Spring scent to have, and haven't heard complaints about the performance. Like others have pointed out, the availability is pretty poor to say the least, which is understandable due to the popularity. Part of me wonders at times, however, if much of the intense interest is centered around just that. How many of us didn't add that one soap during checkout because we knew it would always be there next time around?

Of course, scarcity is a major driver of popularity.

Yep....I guess that’s why he’s usually sold out... :001_rolle

Who knows, Cabbage Patch Kids were truly ugly lol. It's hard to say how much of the hype is because of how good it is and how much because they are rather unique soap bases that everyone just has to try. SSAD is a terrible affliction! :a29:

Completely agree here. I find it no better than B&M, Declaration Grooming, Eufros, Mike’s Natural Soaps, Nuavia, Boellis, etc....

Completely agree here. I find it no better than B&M, Declaration Grooming, Eufros, Mike’s Natural Soaps, Nuavia, Boellis, etc....

+1
I am enjoying Absinthe & Leather but did not feel compelled to order Coattails when I saw it available the other day. I have some other soaps that I am also enjoying including some of the names you mentioned. I don't feel the need to chase GD at this point.

From what I’m reading and putting together...GD is a startup and is selling everything they can make. It’s not some kind of big, sophisticated marketing strategy...It’s more that demand is outstripping his limited manufacturing capabilities. Nothing more sinister than that..

Top Bottom