What's new

Grooming Dept club

I grabbed Mandarin Bay along with the Mandarin/Cardamom and Cedarwood/Lime Preshaves.

I'd love to try the Post Shave Serums... but $28 for 2 oz is well beyond my limit.

Do you guys have any info about the post shave serums? I wanted to know why they were as expensive as they were. Would 2oz of his serum go as far as 4oz with another brand? Or another reason?

More bad news from Mohammad. Purchases made 12/14 which were to have started shipping today 12/19 are being delayed until 22/26-12-28. Mo says some of the labels had typographical errors. Amazing!

It's not what is inside, it's what is not inside.
This is after 5 times of use, already seeing the bottom of the jar.
proxy.php

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

It's not what is inside, it's what is not inside.
This is after 5 times of use, already seeing the bottom of the jar.
proxy.php

Do you lather for 20 minutes? How is this even possible?

I have some GD soaps I’ve lathered 5 times and they barely look used.

Do you lather for 20 minutes? How is this even possible?

I have some GD soaps I’ve lathered 5 times and they barely look used.
I've got soaps that I have for 2 years that still look full, maybe when he had all that trouble last month he didn't fill it all the way.

Did you guys contact Mo about this? Something is definitely out of the ordinary with those...

I purchased 9 different soaps from his last release and none of them are like that

Did you guys contact Mo about this? Something is definitely out of the ordinary with those...

I purchased 9 different soaps from his last release and none of them are like that

Funny, I got the Verbrannt recently and it didn't dissolve like the wonderland does. The same amount of pressure is applied to both when lathering. Who knows the issue. Wouldn't bother to contact about one tube as an attempt was made when asking about information of soap releases. No reply.

Hey fellas. I revisited Grooming Dept. a couple days ago (After the Fire). Nearly forgot what a wonderful lather that was. A great shave! After the Fire is the least favorite scent I have but the performance makes up for that. I also have Elan and Conifre. Those are pretty good to my nose!

Before I say another word, I would like to say that yes, I did participate in some beta testing for the preshave moisturizer that Mohammad at Grooming Dept finally released about a week or 2 ago. I tried a couple of the earlier versions in V25 & V26 and they were excellent and arguably the best preshave creams I’ve ever used to date. Well, I was wrong. The best preshave moisturizer/cream I’ve ever used is this product here. The final rendering.......

7421648F-91E4-43E4-97EB-0B561529048B.jpeg

05FEBEA6-993F-4A8A-A6A5-EA6BCD7ABBB6.jpeg

Just a quick observation and preliminary thoughts. GET THIS STUFF!! Get it if you can gents if you’re into the post shave benefits that todays soaps and creams are offering. This stuff is a MUST have for anyone looking for smooth, moisturized and hydrated skin with some serious long term beneficial effects of the dermis. Superb enhancement properties for any soaps that you may have that you feel are just a notch or two below your elite level soaps. This preshave elevates those soaps to another level of performance. It’s like steroids for your soap, period.

As you can see I have the Cedarwood & Lime scented preshave and it has a nice subtle scent, not too strong and does not linger long, to my nose at least. Not much is needed, perhaps a pea sized dollop and it’s on and with 4oz worth of product, this might last a while. I’ve used it both ways, smearing some on my face and putting some in the bowl once I’ve loaded my brush with my preferred soaps. Both ways worked superbly with excellent post shave results.

The bad thing is like my title to the thread states. It just might make my aftershaves splashes and products obsolete, that’s how good the performance has been. Well, I probably won’t stop using most of those products as I love to use them and the scents are great. Plus, I’m a creature of habit and enjoy the routine of the shave. But, I can really do without them with the effects that this preshave is bringing to the game if I wanted to.

But, seriously, this product from Grooming Dept is the real deal. The Misses has told me that my skin feels the smoothest and softest it has ever been. That, says it all right there....

2C9324D8-9E32-4996-8143-7DE325AEA634.jpeg

Clarify for us please whether the main reason you love it so much is purely the after shave face 'feel'? As well, when you used it before a shave did you do your usual prep, e.g., hot shower, or did you just use the pre-shave and then soap? What I am asking in essence is whether it gives a marked improvement over normal prep and a top tier soap as regards an actual shave (and forgetting about the post shave effects)?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I used Prosaso Pre-Shave for a good while. Swore by it. Thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Until my technique improved and i got good at using the DE. Then I realized it was a waste of time and money. Didn’t improve my shave at all. I’ve never used any Grooming Dept. product. But a pre-shave of any brand/kind would be last on my list. Same with pre-shave oils. Gimmicks and not necessary IMO.

Clarify for us please whether the main reason you love it so much is purely the after shave face 'feel'? As well, when you used it before a shave did you do your usual prep, e.g., hot shower, or did you just use the pre-shave and then soap? What I am asking in essence is whether it gives a marked improvement over normal prep and a top tier soap as regards an actual shave (and forgetting about the post shave effects)?

Across the board. I don’t bother with hot towel prep. I just hot shower, face scrub and into the shave. The preshave gives an excellent base if you’re applying it directly to the face and then building the lather with your brush and preferred soap. Somehow it enhances the lather while still feeling silky smooth on the skin.

That same silky smoothness is evident once you begin your shave passes as the blade feels like it’s virtually floating over your skin. The harshness of the blade is substantially subdued yet you still hear and feel the blade cutting the whiskers, it’s just smoother feeling and calm on the skin.

The next added benefit is just the post shave feel once you’re completely done with the shave and have rinsed. The hydration and the supple feeling is just something that I’ve never quite experienced before. And like I stated in the opening post, the trial samples were awesome but, this final formulation is truly amazing.

Long term so far my skin just feels and looks healthier to be honest. I don’t feel any tightness and somehow I’ve recovered some elasticity in the process. Again, I noticed that already with the samples and with the final product rendering it has just continued to get better.

You just have to experience it for yourself. It really is an excellent performing product that just enhances the routine from start to finish with the added benefit of long term skin care.

I used Prosaso Pre-Shave for a good while. Swore by it. Thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Until my technique improved and i got good at using the DE. Then I realized it was a waste of time and money. Didn’t improve my shave at all. I’ve never used any Grooming Dept. product. But a pre-shave of any brand/kind would be last on my list. Same with pre-shave oils. Gimmicks and not necessary IMO.

To each their own, period.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
At any rate I appreciate the disclaimer that you were a beta tester. That’s important to note. I’ve seen it all to often where reviews are posted by folks that got samples for free. If you actually buy a product yourself your opinion may differ.

At any rate I appreciate the disclaimer that you were a beta tester. That’s important to note. I’ve seen it all to often where reviews are posted by folks that got samples for free. If you actually buy a product yourself your opinion may differ.

Allow me to clarify once more. Perhaps I failed to mention it in the first post. Yes, I received two test samples to try. Once he came to a final base that he was happy with, which I believe were 36 different versions of the preshave, this was the final rendering of the product. I did not receive it free, once the item was ready for retail and consumers I made my own purchase. I’ve never spoke or posted about it before or during the testing as I felt it wouldn’t be necessary if the product never came to fruition it would have been a moot point to discuss it. It’s here, and I’ll discuss it. Hopefully, there’s no harm in that.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
36 different versions? By god, it better be the best thing ever.

Thanks for the clarification. There’s no harm in discussing your experience at all. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

Top Bottom