What's new

Cleaning your ears.

What is the best way to clean your ears? I've always been told that using a q-tip can be very bad for your ear organs. I've heard about ear candles but those don't sound too safe either. I know ear wax is actually good for your ear health but sometimes when it's visible it can be very unsightly.

As long as you're not ramming the Q-tip in there you won't cause any damage. I can't really give you a great measurement since everyone's ears are different, but I think you should never have to put the whole tip of it in your ear. That's probably further in than people will see and that's probably when you risk damage.

If there's brain matter on the tip, you've gone too far. Sorry for the bad humor. I've used a q-tip for years and just swabbed the visable portion of the ear canal. The wax works in way out on it's own.

From what I've read, ear candles are considered very dangerous and can lead to permanent problems (ie: hearing loss).

I use the wax removal ear drops that you can get at any drugstore. They seem to work quite well.

Otherwise... never put anything else into the ear canal itself. Q-tips are fine for the outer portion of the ear.

If there's brain matter on the tip, you've gone too far. Sorry for the bad humor. I've used a q-tip for years and just swabbed the visable portion of the ear canal. The wax works in way out on it's own.

I got ear impressions done a few weeks ago and they had to insert a foam plug about a third of the way into the canal. The strange thing is that it actually triggered a gag reflex. Apparently that's a pretty common reaction.

The moral of the story is, if you feel like you're going to puke you're only halfway to sticking it in your brain. :biggrin:

I got ear impressions done a few weeks ago and they had to insert a foam plug about a third of the way into the canal. The strange thing is that it actually triggered a gag reflex. Apparently that's a pretty common reaction.

The moral of the story is, if you feel like you're going to puke you're only halfway to sticking it in your brain. :biggrin:

Ok, I'll bite, why? Thinking of getting them bronzed??

Ok, I'll bite, why? Thinking of getting them bronzed??

I was avoiding asking. :biggrin:

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. :lol:

I realized now that they're actually molds, not impressions. Anyway, I'm getting a set of custom IEMs (in-ear monitors) made. I used to have a set of noise-cancelling headphones (QuietComfort IIs) but they kinda died on me and didn't really block out sound as much as I'd like. Anyway, after some research I found out about IEMs (what some musicians use to hear the music on stage) and their sound isolating properties; think earplugs with earphones built in. Custom fitted IEMs provide about 25-30 decibels external noise reduction, meaning you don't have to turn your music up as loud and they just look neat. The only downside is that I think I'm turning into an audiophile... :lol:

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. :lol:

I realized now that they're actually molds, not impressions. Anyway, I'm getting a set of custom IEMs (in-ear monitors) made. I used to have a set of noise-cancelling headphones (QuietComfort IIs) but they kinda died on me and didn't really block out sound as much as I'd like. Anyway, after some research I found out about IEMs (what some musicians use to hear the music on stage) and their sound isolating properties; think earplugs with earphones built in. Custom fitted IEMs provide about 25-30 decibels external noise reduction, meaning you don't have to turn your music up as loud and they just look neat. The only downside is that I think I'm turning into an audiophile... :lol:

Thank you very little. :biggrin:

One thing that works pretty well is a cap full of hydrogen peroxide for deeper canal cleaning. It feels kind of weird, but works. I have a family member that gets really waxy; his doctor told him to use peroxide to break up the wax.

This topic is providing a little TMI for my taste though.

Who said anything about putting your actual elbow in?

Hypothetical* elbow then?

*That was the closest antonym I was able to find for "actual".

One thing that works pretty well is a cap full of hydrogen peroxide for deeper canal cleaning. It feels kind of weird, but works. I have a family member that gets really waxy; his doctor told him to use peroxide to break up the wax.

This topic is providing a little TMI for my taste though.

Stick around long enough and this stuff will seem tame. :biggrin:

well, that sounds like a few less shaving related items that you'll be buying and that's just plain wrong. :nono:

:tongue:

Top Bottom