What's new

Cleaning your ears.

I use foam ear plugs when I shoot. They are meant to be rolled between the fingers so they can be inserted into the ear canal, where they expand and block out the sound. I see no difference between this and using a q-tip in the ear canal to clean my ears. I'm just careful not to insert it too far.

This was turning int a tedious and boring day back here at the office and now all of you have gotten my imagination running and conjured up an image of a Mardi Gras float of a giant ear with a 12 foot q tip running into it.

My father used to tell me to clean my ears or turnips would start gowing in them.

I don't think "hoax" is the right word. "Unproven, fringe therapy" might be better.

I wasn't very impressed with the link. For example, a nurse died from ear candling. How, you ask? She set her apartment ablaze and died in the subsequent fire. That's like saying birthday parties should be outlawed.

Only if they stick the candles in their ears apparently.

q-tips in the ear?depends on how big your ear canal is.i have been doing it for years with no problems.but i have a pretty big noggin.
as for ear drops i have the ear wax removal stuff-carbamide peroxide i think,some home made stuff-1)a mix of alchohol,hydro peroxide,glycerin 2)a mix of alchohol,white vinegar,glycerin.the latter is a duplication of a prescription ear drop(lol).

The problem that arises with cotton swabs, apart from the occasional person digging for brains, is that with some people--depending on the amount of ear wax produced and/or the way the swab is used--use of a swab ends up pushing MORE wax deeper into the ear, eventually creating a problem.

My wife has an ear canal that the doctors say is tiny and is essentially collapsing. The narrowness of the canal combined with considerable accumulation of wax means that she has to get them cleaned out by a doctor every six months at least.

Not to jack this thread and talk about IEM's; But on the subject of IEM's and Ear Cleaning, make sure to clean your ears well before using IEMs or any other in ear headphones (I extensively use the non-custom in ear buds with the silicone plugs that work like IEM's, they're great but if you have waxy ears they get gunked up fast) I go through a pair every 6months to year between earwax gunking and shorting the cables/drivers because of wearing them while running; hence now I buy the cheapest skullcandies I can find.

Also, rabidpotatochip, if you're looking for decent over-the-ear headphones, Grado's are very good for the money.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
One thing that works pretty well is a cap full of hydrogen peroxide for deeper canal cleaning. It feels kind of weird, but works. I have a family member that gets really waxy; his doctor told him to use peroxide to break up the wax.

This topic is providing a little TMI for my taste though.
Paul:
That's what I use because that's what my Mom used with me and my siblings. It feels like 'foam' is in your ears...but it really works and afterward, I use warm water to irrigate my ears using an ear irrigation syringe :thumbup:

Christopher :c2:

Last edited:
Any oil safe for food use can be used as ear drops to soften wax and let the natural cleaning process work quicker.

Re in-ear headphones, the beauty of them is they isolate so much noise that you can have the volume really low and they still sound great. They will thus do less damage to your hearing than conventional headphones turned up loud to block out background noise.

I have Etymotic Research ER4P earphones. They are great. The only downside is they stick out of the ear. If I wear them in public I'm paranoid some moron will slap the side of my head forcing them into my ear drum. (Thank God that "happy-slapping" phenomenon has faded away.)

I am an audiologist, and I have also worked with several ENT's (surgeons of the ear). Here's the definitive, medical answer.

Q-tips are fine for the outer ear, just don't jam them into the canal. Just like the proverbial "tip of the iceberg" the small amount of wax you may take out is no match for the larger amount you'll mush back into the canal, where it will be more painful to remove. The inner two-thirds of the canal have very thin skin and is a sensitive area.

The three accepted methods for wax removal are: curettes (I use these - a metal or nylon/plastic loop that pulls out wax), suction and water irrigation. Physicians, nurses or audiologists can use these. Whatever he or she is most comfortable using, go with that method.

NEVER let anybody put a lit candle in your ear. Ineffective at best, dangerous at worst.

Finally, ear wax is like red wine. In moderation it's good for you. It is virucidal, fungicidal, bacteriocidal and insecticidal to a degree.

I am an audiologist, and I have also worked with several ENT's (surgeons of the ear). Here's the definitive, medical answer.

Q-tips are fine for the outer ear, just don't jam them into the canal. Just like the proverbial "tip of the iceberg" the small amount of wax you may take out is no match for the larger amount you'll mush back into the canal, where it will be more painful to remove. The inner two-thirds of the canal have very thin skin and is a sensitive area.

The three accepted methods for wax removal are: curettes (I use these - a metal or nylon/plastic loop that pulls out wax), suction and water irrigation. Physicians, nurses or audiologists can use these. Whatever he or she is most comfortable using, go with that method.

NEVER let anybody put a lit candle in your ear. Ineffective at best, dangerous at worst.

Finally, ear wax is like red wine. In moderation it's good for you. It is virucidal, fungicidal, bacteriocidal and insecticidal to a degree.

Well put. I always tell patients to never use Q-tips. Running warm water into them while showering and if really bad a drop or two of mineral oil to soften it up before the warm water.

Where are such curettes available? Are they available for lay persons? Is there a brand name?

--james

Where are such curettes available? Are they available for lay persons? Is there a brand name?

--james

They are available but I would strongly recommend that they are only used by a professional. My experience with one landed me at the doctor's office for a professional cleaning. The best and safest thing I have found for home use is one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Enterp...JXGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294362973&sr=8-1

They provide good water pressure and the tip is impossible to put too far into your ear.

--james

They are available but I would strongly recommend that they are only used by a professional. My experience with one landed me at the doctor's office for a professional cleaning. The best and safest thing I have found for home use is one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Enterp...JXGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294362973&sr=8-1

They provide good water pressure and the tip is impossible to put too far into your ear.

Thanks for your referral. I am familiar with that product and would prefer to try the curette, very carefully.

Where did you get yours? Was there a brand name??

Thanks.

--James

Top Bottom