What's new

Shaving with one hand or both?

I'm a newcomer here and I'll be taking the dive into straight razor shaving very soon. On the way I have a honed 5/8 Diamondine #7 full hollow razor, Poor Man's Strop kit, EJ Best Badger brush and some Proraso Red in a bowl. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos to figure things out. This site and it's members have a wealth of knowledge and the stickies have been very helpful.

However everything I've seen in the videos and shaving tutorials seems to be aimed at using the razor with both hands. I was thinking I might try shaving with only my dominant (right) hand and using my other (left) to tighten the skin. I'm already a bit worried about nicking myself with my dominant hand, but trying to get my angles correct with a hand that I have even less control of is a bit more nerve racking. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to shaving with both hands over single handed shaving?

Thanks,
Andrew

As a teenager I was taught to shave with my right hand. It was considered bad form to switch. You used your sword hand only and you shaved so that you passed your razor across your face without the need to reposition. The idea was the fewer strokes the better, making a single pass XTG.

Shaved like that for 20 years. Gave up. Came back to shaving and taught myself to shave switching hands, and two to three passes as a result of discovering videos on the internet.

I don't know if the way I was taught was a European or British style. Now I quite like switching hands, because I find the edge doesn't need to be so sharp to get a good result. I think it's a an easier way to shave to be honest. Much easier to position the blade. When I'm in a hurry I go back to one handed because it's quicker.

What I'm trying to say is, you can absolutely stick with the dominant hand approach, but might actually find switching easier.

I think if I was starting now and had to teach myself I would probably go for the ambidextrous approach. I would probably start by practising on my cheeks only first and get used to the grip in each hand for the first few days.

If you are used to DE shaving you'll probably need a slightly slicker lather. Use the cream or soap that gives you the best shaves - you will want that performance.

When it comes to top lip and chin. For top lip look on you tube for Coup de Mâitre. For chin move your chin not the razor. You concentrate on getting the angle of the razor right with your hand.

I find it VERY difficult to shave my face’s left side with my right hand, as well as some spots in my chin and neck.

I would suggest you try it and in case it’s not comfortable, switch hands. I have below average motor skills but I find it very intuitive to shave with my left hand. It takes very little practice.
Actually, I find myself using less pressure with my left hand, which is always good with a straight

Good luck on your journey!

strop

Now half as wise
I started with both hands from the beginning. I spent several weeks using both hands with the DE before trying a straight. Not sure it helped but figured it couldn't hurt. I actually found I did better with my off hand (left, in my case) than with my dominant hand. I think it was because I was more fearful of slicing myself wide open, and found that I concentrated more and had a lighter touch with my off hand. I really didn't take that long to get comfortable with it. It's going to take at least 100 shaves either way before you feel good about it, I can't imagine at this point trying to use just one hand, but lot's of guys do just fine that way.

Seems like everyone so far uses both hands, I'll try it out to start. I see how it could make some areas more accessible to reach and see without an arm across your face. It would be nice to hear what somebody who shaves with only one hand has to say as well.

BTW I've never used a DE before. I'm switching directly from cartridges to a straight razor.

Seems like everyone so far uses both hands, I'll try it out to start. I see how it could make some areas more accessible to reach and see without an arm across your face. It would be nice to hear what somebody who shaves with only one hand has to say as well.

BTW I've never used a DE before. I'm switching directly from cartridges to a straight razor.
As said above I shaved one-handed for 20 years, and still do when I'm in a hurry. It's much quicker and more flowing. If I shave in the morning I shave one handed.

The 6 section shave I was taught is as follows for a right handed shaver.

1. Centre of neck diagonal to jaw line in the direction of the left ear.
2. Left ear to side of mouth.
3. Top lip over to right side
4. Right side of mouth in a reverse s stroke down round chin
5. Chin up across cheek towards right ear sweeping down at the last minute
6. Right ear diagonally down neck to finish at centre of neck.

In THEORY you can join this all together and not lift the razor from the face.

But I would caution you with this method. I was taught in person. You have to be mindful of the toe with diagonal strokes XTG because it is very easy to catch the tip.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I am VERY left handed but I started using both hands and it only took about a week to feel comfortable with it. I’ve never tried one handed but after reading @Seveneighth post I’m going to try it. I don’t think I would change but it would be interesting to learn.

As said above I shaved one-handed for 20 years, and still do when I'm in a hurry. It's much quicker and more flowing. If I shave in the morning I shave one handed.

But I would caution you with this method. I was taught in person. You have to be mindful of the toe with diagonal strokes XTG because it is very easy to catch the tip.
Sorry, I did read your post but when you said you shaved one handed for 20 years, I didn't think you were referring to using a straight razor. That's a serious method and seems like it make for a pretty quick shave without much repositioning. Probably a bit too tough for me though since I'll be learning on my own. Heck I was never even taught how to shave at all, just had to go buy a cartridge razor and figure it out. Boy was I amazed at how wrong I've been doing things when I started reading here... I've just been splashing my face with a bit of water and going right into shaving. Sure explains why I get razor burn so often.

Seeing how everyone seems to say it's easy to adapt to shaving with both hands and how you mentioned that it may be easier to cut yourself (as videos also mentioned) when shaving diagonally, maybe it would be best for me to start by learning with both hands.

Last edited:
Do what comes naturally.

I wanted to shave with both hands, especially for SR/shavette shaves, so that how I made myself learn. I enjoy it quite a bit and am glad I did. It feels quite natural, even though I’m not ambidextrous in many other things.

I only use one hand (right). The only issue is a very small blind spot on the first down (WTG) pass on my left cheek. Other than that I can see everything and do just fine.

I contemplated switching hands when I first started but then saw a video of a European guy making quick work of his shave using only his dominant hand.

Don't over-think this - you make the rules. Try shaving with just your dominant hand, and if reaching a spot feels super awkward, STOP. Regroup, change your grip, or switch hands. Trying to power through will give you an impressive cut.

I'm the most un-left-handed person on the planet, and I shave with both hands. Took about 30 shaves to just too feel comfortable using my left and stop getting nicked regularly, and at about 100 shaves was at the point where I considered myself proficient.

Is there a video or illustrated diagram of this anywhere? I could mostly visualize the path but I also imagine many missed spots; especially if trying not to lift the razor from one's face.

I use both hands but sometimes use my right more than my left.

Is there a video or illustrated diagram of this anywhere? I could mostly visualize the path but I also imagine many missed spots; especially if trying not to lift the razor from one's face.

I use both hands but sometimes use my right more than my left.
Ha - was taught this way before the Internet, let alone before you tube. I don't remember seeing videos of anyone shaving like this. To be honest I was shocked coming back to straight shaving after a break and discovering a wealth of amazing information but all of it different to how I was taught.

Frankly I wouldn't ever try completing the whole shave without lifting the razor. It was demonstrated to me once but I've always seen it as a party trick. I doubt you would get a very good shave - unless you were very very skilled I suppose.

If I knew how to set up and make a video, I'd do it myself. I will try to draw a diagram out later this week.

When i first started with a straight i was quite nervous of using my left hand as i do everything with my dominant right hand but just couldn't safely get my whole face one handed, so i had no option but to try with my left hand. And you know what, it's not as difficult as it seems, it took me perhaps 3 or 4 goes to get the angle sorted and after that my left side was as good as my right and both hands progressed with equal speed in gaining technique.

Maybe I'm over thinking it. I'm just trying to get everything sorted out before my first shave. My razor and strop won't be here until later this week so I think I'm psyching myself out with all of the things that I still don't know. I guess until I get a razor in my hand and start using it I won't know what feels right and what doesn't. I need to slow my brain down and just go with the flow and stop worrying until issues come up.

Both hands is the way to go. I actually think i shave better with my non-dominant hand.

If you are coming from cartridge razors I would highly advise going slowly into the process.

For example, for the first week or so, just do the flat part of your cheeks WTG (usually pretty much north-to-south). For the first few days you might even consider doing one light pass with your cartridge razor first and then doing a WTG pass on the cheeks only with the straight. Dry it and put it away.

Then move to two WTG passes on the cheeks only. Finish all the rest of the shave with your cartridge razor. Keep doing the two WTG passes on the cheeks only (right hand for right cheek, left hand for left cheek) until you are comfortable doing this and are getting decent reduction without irritation.

Thereafter begin to expand the parts of the face you are attempting with the straight razor. At any point if it gets uncomfortable or you get too frustrated, put it down and finish with your cartridge.

It takes extreme patience to be able to learn how to shave with a straight. It's actually a great lesson in patience. It gets better very slowly day after day. You have to take the long view and not expect too much too soon if you want to get maximum satisfaction and benefit from straight razor shaving.

Good luck and try to kick back and enjoy the journey. It took me 54 shaves before I did two passes of all surfaces including neck, mustache area, and chin. 54! But I was OK with that. Before I started I vowed to do at least 100 shaves before deciding if straight razor shaving was for me. So I tried really hard to keep that long view. (I chronicled my journey, including my frustrations, in a thread entitled "Why is the Straight Razor Subforum so slow?" at the Shave Nook, if you are interested.)

Don't worry about it until you get there. Neccessity is the mother of invention, if you are shaving and you sense that using 2 hands will help, you will figure it out. Or you will decide that using 1 hand is the way to go.
There are no rules, and once you start doing it, things like this will seem like it's all 'no brainer' level stuff.

Top Bottom