What's new

Declaration Grooming 1 Week Workout - Santal Auster

Gents, I mentioned in another thread about artisan soaps I would be doing a one week test drive of this limited edition shave soap from Declaration Grooming. It is really exactly a test drive since I have used it on and off since I got it a few months ago. The goal here is to use it steady for one week and see if it fits the bill of something I will re-purchase later. And that bar is set very high these days in the old toiletry locker. I have been at this traditional shaving now for nearly fifteen years. I tend to only buy oddities, limited editions, etc in the search for things new. Most soaps bore me rather quickly. It is not that they are bad. I am just like to mix things up all the time.

Anyroad, I will keep the razor and blade the same. I have no idea why you'd ever want to change up that variable when evaluating a shaving lather. To wit, a Edwin Jagger Chatsworth in gen-u-ine faux ivory with Polivilver ruskie blades. The blade current has three shaves and will be changed. I got some roughness this morning and I suspect a premature death of the blade. So a new one tomorrow for the next four shaves. Brushes will run the gamut of B&B 2009 limited Kent(this morning), Savile Row 3824, DaVinci 293, Vie Long horse in white mane.

Since one shave is under the belt. Lets start there. Firstly the soap is nicely if not fancifully packaged. Fine with me. We are talking performance not beauty but it is very satisfactory in this regard. Nice sized plastic jar with minimalist labels that give a nice, understated image to the product.

Ingredients: Look at the photo below. To me, this is a veg soap base all the way. Yes, it has bison tallow and lamb tallow but they are well down the list.

Latherability: I do not like using a negative to enforce a positive but it applies here. This soap is stupid easy to lather. Look at the photos. The first one showing the brush is a fairly wet soaked brushed bruskly whipped over the cake for maybe 20-25 seconds. No kidding. I am usually a lather till it dents type of shaver since stingy lather is a nuisance to me most of the time. The next photos show it after about two minutes of face lathering. The last one shows what's left after three full passes. Mind you, the Kent is only a 22mm brush and a good heavy coating was already on my face in the second photo. I squeezed up the remainder after first and last past to show amounts. Impressive is an understatement.

Shave/glide/slickness: Or whatever you want to call them. I never really understood what the difference was between glide and slickness anyway. Pretty good. Like most veg forward soaps this one blew right up to a snow white lather. Unlike most veg lathers it was not pillowy nor did it tend to drying up halfway through the pass. This has been a hallmark of 99% of veg based soaps I have used. The only other two who do not do this to me are Provence Sante and Institut Karite and even then, I would want to reevaluate since I have not used either in years.

It was stable, fairly rich feeling and maintained a good cover throughout the pass. I did notice however I needed to really slow it down on the strokes since I was noticing the roughness I spoke about in the hardware section. Not sure if it was balde, lather or both but I tend to think both. This is common for me with veg forward soaps. I was not able to blade buff with this like I do Wholly Kaw, Mystic Waters, or some others. Don't get me wrong, it was pile better than most of the veg soaps I have tied. I always take the leftover lather and mix it into the water I used for the hot towel treatement and shave water and then liberally splash this on my visage and blade buff or j-hook the rough spots on the jawline and cheek hollows. I didn't really feel like I should do it since I felt it was not smooth enough. Again, the week will tell.

Scent: Now here is an unmitigated yes. This has just the touch of gaminess DG speaks of when you talk to them about such things as scent. But it has completely dissipated and we are now left with only the wonderful santal fragrance. Is it mostly sandalwood? Yes. It is mostly woody? Yes. Uh, yeah, contradictory. It really does mix up well. I like to think of this as a mans scent. The kind you give uncle Roger when you are trying to set him up in wet shaving. A comforting, sandalwood/cedar/woodsy scent that could 't offend anyone. I cannot imagine the average bloke not liking it.

Overall, this is one of the best veg forward soaps I have used in a long time. The additions of the two tallow fats is a GOOD thing. I think it enriches the lather in way veg soaps alone simply cannot attain. We will see how it fares through the week. Sorry for the grainy photos. Shot on cell phone and I am not good at it.

IMG_20180806_195204.jpg

IMG_20180806_195610.jpg

After loading and first face lathering
IMG_20180806_103050.jpg

After second pass.
IMG_20180806_103057.jpg

After third pass. Squeezed up. Not bad, eh?
IMG_20180806_103856.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Todd; precise and informative! Thanks.

I've got three of the DG soaps at this point ... They're pretty hard to say no to!

AA

Sir, thank you for an excellent, detailed review. Please let us know how the next shaves go with this DC test drive. I'll soon buy this soap, the previous unscented version!

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words. I will post a follow up each day to let the board know how it is going.

And straight away let me apologise for the atrocious grammar and spelling in my original post. You would think the language that gave us Milton, Chaucer, Shakespeare and the King James Bible(bless his very soul) would be better represented on a forum that has a 'preview' button to help you amend such things before they are posted. I will be better at it on followups. I promise.

Excellent review!! I especially like your description of this as a ‘veg forward’ soap, because tallow is well down on the list of ingredients. This puts things in good perspective! :a29:

Alright, shave two in the books. As noted yesterday I changed the Polisilver blade out for a new one. It was the correct thing to do. I immediately noted improved smoothness and less friction on the passes. And for the newbies, do not fret about such things. Blades are mass manufactured products and there are bound to be variances and some that simply do not measure up. This was the case with the last blade. Three shaves and it was beyond done.

Okay, to it. Today saw the mighty Savile Row 3824 return to the fray and as is usual, it conquered the adversary. With ease. If anything I should have loaded less with this lather monster. It is little wonder this brush won the 'Brush Wars' competition years ago here at B&B. I have owned this for nearly ten years, maybe more and it performs flawlessly. My understanding is the model was changed a few years ago to lower the loft just a bit but I can find no reason why I should exchange this one for new. It will outlive me I am certain. Anyroad, a 25 second or so loading with fairly wet brush made more than enough lather. No multiple shots today but I did include one of the lather left after three full passes. Incredible lather from an incredible brush. As with most veg based soaps, a standing one minute rest after initial loading does wonders for density and hydration. And this was no exception.The lather whipped up fairly quickly to a super creamy thin yoghurt consistency and while it feels superb on your face, there are some trade-offs as you will see.

Shave. Much better than yesterday. Again, much due to the new blade. A few bugaboos did arise. It does not shave at a superb level for me. I continuously need to thin the lather a bit with these types of soaps. The cushion they give seems to make me want to use more pressure to get the correct cut. So I thin the lather to get just a bit less and then...sometimes you go a bit too far and your lather is not quite as comforting as it should be. Don't get me wrong. It did not break. I am talking about n'ths differences in lathering here. The margin between dense and creamy and wet enough to give me a slightly closer shave without losing good support for the skin is, pardon the pun, razor thin.

And I really do not like to describe this soap in that manner. This soap is NOT finicky. Again, leagues above most of the pure veg soaps I have used. It is simply how it inter-plays with my skin, my whiskers(more on that later), water, etc. I experience this a lot with veg soaps but this veg forward soap, as I like to refer it with tallow added in down the list, is notably superior to straight vegetal soaps for me.

Aftershave: The feel was much better as well. Much better. A goodly splash of Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandlwood aftershave gave some tingly feelings but no real burn which was not the case yesterday. I used AoS a/s gel yesterday because I could tell without trying an attempt to use alcohol based a/s would not have been comfortable. Again, lets call yesterday a Mulligan and done. It was not the soap's fault. Right now I still notice tightness and tingling in the corners of the mustache area and cheek hollows. Not good but not horrid either. This is what I call a low speed soap. No brandishing the razor with abandon. Always good form, that. However, great soaps let you get away with things you cannot with others. Super light pressure and slower strokes. Which leads me back to the issue of over shaving trying to get the stubble off. Still, I am mostly happy with the soap and the scent is so well done. A truly balanced effort that deserves a tip 'o the cap to Shawn at Chatillon Lux and Scott and DG.

Now about my whiskers comments. In speaking with a barber a few years ago she told me that grey hair is toss of the coin. She said typically it either goes baby soft or toughs as wire. I most certainly got the latter. I have always had Viking beard. I was told in grade nine to go home and shave before I came back to school. Of course my hair was very fine in those days and pure blonde. But as an adult it has always been sandpaper tough. It is odd. My head shows almost zero grey but my beard has gone nearly white! Most men see the exact opposite though it varies too much to make an assumption. So beard softening and prep is a big part of my routine. I cannot skip multiple steaming wash clothes on my beard or it is misery. So keep this in mind if any of you are transitioning to middle age and develop some issues with products that used to never give any.

After three full passes and thinning with water.
IMG_20180807_105745.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the novella. I promise follow up posts will be shorter. I simply wanted to get some of the minute particulars out there for baseline experiences.

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words. I will post a follow up each day to let the board know how it is going.

And straight away let me apologise for the atrocious grammar and spelling in my original post. You would think the language that gave us Milton, Chaucer, Shakespeare and the King James Bible(bless his very soul) would be better represented on a forum that has a 'preview' button to help you amend such things before they are posted. I will be better at it on followups. I promise.

I has der engerlish skils of a navi and dont apolijize for it on this bord. niyther should yuze.!

Wednesday's shave is in the books. I broke out the DaVinci 293 this morning and made sure to NOT vigorously scrub the top of the soap lest I should have enough product to shave thrice over. A good decision since about 20 seconds of loading a fairly wet brush yielded enough four at least four passes.

Shave was better this morning. I kept the lather a bit more toward the yoghurt side of things and it seemed to glide a bit better. With the grain passes were completely comfortable. ATG was less noticeable than yesterday but again, I cannot really j-hook or blade buff with this soap. It is a very common thing with me and veg soaps. They simply do not have the blade glide to avoid some irritation for me. Great shave but not as completely smooth as I get with no discomfort with others.

Aftershave was pretty good and forgoing the blade buffing showed the wisdom of it when I applied the Clubman Bay Rum. If ever there was a a/s splash that would burn me it would be any Clubman product. Mild tinglies and only mild tightness in the cheeks and under the jaw line. Next up, Vie-Long with white horse mane knot.

I find that the better a soap Is, the more forgiving it is of hydration. Maca Root is slick no matter how you hydrate it. DR Harris is very fussy and can really seize up if you don't soak the lather.

I find that the better a soap Is, the more forgiving it is of hydration. Maca Root is slick no matter how you hydrate it. DR Harris is very fussy and can really seize up if you don't soak the lather.
I really do need to try the Maca Root cream... There aren't many mentioned as often when slickness comes up.

Thursday shave is in the books. Best wtg shave so far. The Vie-Long horse fairly thrashed this soap and whipped it up to a perfect consistency. Atg was better too but I still avoided blade buffing and only j-hooked on the jawlines and even then, very mildly. Finsihed off with a cool rinse and then a liberal dose of Taylor of Old Bond Street #74 Victorian Lime.

I find the Taylor aftershaves to be a good baseline product for testing how well a soap treats your skin both during and after the shave. Precisely because they are not oustanding skin care products. Their fragrances are some of my most favourite. Their performance as skin care is another matter. They are essentially alcohol and fragrance and no menthol. The latter of which is fine by me. I have a hate, hate relationship with menthol at times. Other than Alt Innsbruck, I don't care for it. Without it you don't get the cooling effect that can make you think your a/s is performing some function when in reality it is mostly just numbing your skin. I am not a fan.

So if your shave soap is taking good care of your skin both during the shave and after the rinse, then I find I can use these splashes with abandon and suffer no ill effect. Not so these veg based soaps. They always leave my skin feeling a little dry and tight. Today was no exception. Certainly no real burn but not exactly tingle free. Still, this soap seems milesmahead of some of the others I have used. I will wrap this up tomorrow and please feel free to ask questions.

Not really a question, but just a thought. I know you are referring to this as a Veg base soap because the tallow is listed so deep in the ingredient list, but even so, it still contains tallow and because of that I would not consider it a Veg base. This is just me and I wonder what others think.

I find DG to be one of the best post shave soaps on the market and am a little shocked to see it left you dry. My results with soap always differ from others though as I have incredibly soft water and almost every soap leaves my face very moisturized. You never know how good your water is until you take a few vacations and experience hard water first hand.

Joe, absolutely correct about water quality. I have calcium laden water and when I travel with my wife the hotel water is always baby soft. Makes a big difference.

As to Declaration, I more refer to this soap as veg forward. When any ingredient is five or six spaces down the list I honestly do not know if you can refer to it as part of the base. Again, I am not exactly sure what makes the 'base' of the soap. Is it a percentage thing? Not sure. I will say that DG exhibits many of the same traits as other all veg soaps I have tried. Creamy/yoghurt type lather that is snow white. Good density and stability but lacking in some razor glide which leads to a little razor tingle and tightness.

Now before I appear to damn the soap with faint praise, let me say this soap is miles ahead of those other soaps. Much better shave and overall skin conditioning. So far, on my skin it is not precisely drying but rather that lack of ultimate blade glide is the culprit. DG is absolutely one of the better soaps out there in this range of ingredients. It is not even close.

Joe, one more thing. Is your soap the original formula or this newer Icarus base? Santal was, I believe, the first offering from Declaration in this newer base. I have never used the original so cannot compare.

Alright lads, Friday and final shave this week is in the can to use film making parlance. Today saw the use of the B&B 2006 Edwin Jagger limited edition and wow, loading time should have been reduce a bit more. I had enough at the end for two passes at least.

Overall shave was nearly as good as yesterday's. However, I have come to the conclusion that like many other veg based or at least veg forward soaps, I cannot get the best shave with it. Now before we go further let me say this much. If you tend toward veg soaps this one is heartily recommended by me.

I have used a LOT of supposedly super duper, can't be any better artisan soaps of the veg forward persuasion and to be frank, 99% of them left me wanting. Usually in aftershave feel. They all display three main traits; 1. They blow up into snow white, creamy feeling lathers by basically looking at them. 2. They are stable and do not dry up on the pass if you leave them more along the cream/yoghurt side of things. Get them super wet like a great tallow and you court lather breakdown and drying before your pass is done requiring a good bit of rehydrating it on the face. 3. A lack of slickness, particularly atg can lead to some razor rash/tingles when you are trying to blade buff or j-hook in cheek hollows or along jawlines.

This one displayed some of it but NOWHERE near what others have. The shave today yielded the same better-stop-right-now-before-you-overdo-it at the final finishing touch ups. I can take my thumb and rub it gently against the grain at my corner mustache areas, cheeks, and jawline and feel stubble. I know what your are thinking. If you shave correctly that shouldn't happen. It happens because I have what a lot of guys with tough beards have. My whiskers grow at a very steep angle on my face. I call it 'close' beard. Some guys get away with a beard that grows more straight out but some of us...well, a truly smooth face after a shave is not always attainable. And this is where the uber slick soaps make the difference. Those same areas I mentioned can be nearly BBS with Mystic Water(almost without trying), Wholly Kaw, Bullgoose's tallow soaps and a few others. I cannot get that level with Declaration. When I try I can tell I need to stop. This is the source of the razor tingles and slight tightness. I am overdoing it with the razor. This is why we discuss the Nth differences in soaps around here.

Again, let me say if your beard and skin are not this fussy, if you like the more veg forward soaps, then by all means put Declaration Grooming at the top of your 'try' list. No kidding guys. This is about as good as it gets in my experience with these sorts of soaps. Sometimes when you pop open a new product you have a sense, you can tell, 'this is a great product made by someone who knows what they are doing'. And this is exactly what I got from the first day I opened the jar. These folks are really good at what they do. I will likely not replace it but will have no problem using it up. Well done Scott.

I'm coming to the conclusion that "best soap ever" is just an opinion and that in fact most soaps are fairly similar in performance with the variable being the user.

Top Bottom