What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I may even add a tub of Wickhams to that order from Connaught.

Really good idea.

Glad things are going so well sir! I have finally gotten everything moved (but not unpacked). Still working on my post for my journal, but I’ve had some excellent shaves recently. I did the Fixed Four until yesterday when I couldn’t resist some new razors: Personna Floating Head and GEM 1912. Excellent shaves on yesterday and today. Very pleased with them. Going to have to buy more GEM blades. The 1912 was part of a lot and I was wanting the case for the I-2 hydro magic that was also in the lot. Who knew the 1912 would shave so much better than any of the other GEMs I’ve used? (Even better than the Junior which is a copy of the 1912...) The PFH gave me an excellent one pass DFS today. Just went XTG after face lathering. Less than 20 minutes for a first shave with the razor, which is a record for me.

I’m enjoying the Old Type discussions but I’ll wait until you guys figure things out fully.

Will we fully figure things out? Kinda doubtful.

Very good information, Joel, particularly concerning the PFH. (Not that I have one, but a guy can still look [for one]).

I think the differences in the Fatip Mk.1 and Mk.2 base plates is considerable.

The Mk.1 is thinner and they both have slightly different geometry. The Mk.1 cap is narrower, but has the same profile.

You and me both. I may even add a tub of Wickhams to that order from Connaught.

I’m debating Connaught vs Maggard. I want some other items but really can’t afford them right now. Maggard tends to have more of what I’m looking for than Connaught in general. I have three more blades after my beard destroys this one and plenty of injector blades so I won’t need to use the 1912 unless I really want to do so.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I’m debating Connaught vs Maggard. I want some other items but really can’t afford them right now. Maggard tends to have more of what I’m looking for than Connaught in general. I have three more blades after my beard destroys this one and plenty of injector blades so I won’t need to use the 1912 unless I really want to do so.

Maggard doesnt carry Wickhams. Easy decision for me and the shipping is about the same.

I think I have 6 GEM PTFE blades left. I only bought 10 in case I didnt end up liking them, but they are very good blades.

Maggard doesnt carry Wickhams. Easy decision for me and the shipping is about the same.

I think I have 6 GEM PTFE blades left. I only bought 10 in case I didnt end up liking them, but they are very good blades.

I want more Sudsy Soapery. I'm not certain I truly need to try out many (if any) other soaps. I am hoping to be able to write down everything I've recently learned in my journal soon. There's a lot to get down lol. Who knew that I'd find some of the most excellent razors in the last few weeks?

I just used the RR SLOC cap and handle with the my Fatip Piccolo baseplate. The cap did not fit tightly on the baseplate. The blade was not clamped.

That's not to say another cap (not Fatip) wouldn't work fine.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Darn. The SLOC-Piccolo combo was going to be my first franken experiment with my new SLOC. I had high hopes for it, too.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Darn. The SLOC-Piccolo combo was going to be my first franken experiment with my new SLOC. I had high hopes for it, too.

Nothing to say mine isn't different from yours nor that I didn't do something wrong.

I thought mine was tight and the blade was clamped until I took a picture which showed the background color (red) through the "space" between the cap and the baseplate. That space was only a sliver. I missed it with my naked eye but the camera (iPhone) caught it. Otherwise it would have been an interesting shave; perhaps a good shave, but I doubt it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I want more Sudsy Soapery. I'm not certain I truly need to try out many (if any) other soaps. I am hoping to be able to write down everything I've recently learned in my journal soon. There's a lot to get down lol. Who knew that I'd find some of the most excellent razors in the last few weeks?

I didn't know you were hunting razors. Oh, I suspect you're talking about the PFH and such that you've had a while and just gotten around to using.

If you do order from across the pond I suggest trying a tub of Wickham 1912. It is a very good soap (not that you need soaps).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was excellent.

SLOC.Vig.1912.888.640.6-5-18.JPG

What about the SLOC? Bottom line: You want this razor. You need this razor. Yes. You. Do.
  • Mild: Gentle on the skin. Unlikely to irritate, cut, nick, or cause weepers.
  • Smooth: It feels very smooth against the skin while shaving. My face is smooth, too.
  • Angle: Any angle I've tried works fine + it is comfortable and smooth at shallow or steep angles.
  • Efficient: Yes.
  • Close shaving: Yes.
  • Buffing: Is there a better buffing razor? I doubt it.
  • Looks: Really cool looking. Functionally cool looking which is even better.
  • Expensive: Not hardly.
  • Unobtanium: Sometimes from RR it is, but Yaqi has it. Mellon.
The brush has very little backbone and not much scrub but oh my is it soft.

1912 is a superior shaving soap.

I really like the feel of the RR 888 splash. Smells nice also.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Tuesday's shave was excellent.

View attachment 888589

What about the SLOC? Bottom line: You want this razor. You need this razor. Yes. You. Do.
  • Mild: Gentle on the skin. Unlikely to irritate, cut, nick, or cause weepers.
  • Smooth: It feels very smooth against the skin while shaving. My face is smooth, too.
  • Angle: Any angle I've tried works fine + it is comfortable and smooth at shallow or steep angles.
  • Efficient: Yes.
  • Close shaving: Yes.
  • Buffing: Is there a better buffing razor? I doubt it.
  • Looks: Really cool looking. Functionally cool looking which is even better.
  • Expensive: Not hardly.
  • Unobtanium: Sometimes from RR it is, but Yaqi has it. Mellon.
The brush has very little backbone and not much scrub but oh my is it soft.

1912 is a superior shaving soap.

I really like the feel of the RR 888 splash. Smells nice also.

Happy shaves,

Jim
That is a good report on that razor Jim, I have echoed the same sentiment on other threads that it is just a great razor.
I had a shower and shave with my SLOC+ Nacet (2) and recieved a 95%+ BBS and had the alum test afterwards and there was hardly a sting anywhere. Yup, its a winner no doubt IMO and yours also.
Have a great day to all!:a17:

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That is a good report on that razor Jim, I have echoed the same sentiment on other threads that it is just a great razor.
I had a shower and shave with my SLOC+ Nacet (2) and recieved a 95%+ BBS and had the alum test afterwards and there was hardly a sting anywhere. Yup, its a winner no doubt IMO and yours also.
Have a great day to all!:a17:

Ron, thanks for telling me about this razor. It's a winner.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Mild but effective. Whoever the OEM is behind the razor design they did a great job with it. Sharp Bic blade helps.
proxy.php
Glad to hear you also like it, I was going to buy some BIC blades on my next I.B purchase and know for sure they will be bought. The feather blade worked very well in the SLOC for me but the BIC I believe is a even a sharper blade from another test blade site I visit. We all learn something every day it seems. Thanks for the mentioning the bic blades, I also want to test the Gillette 7oclock super platinum (black) a smoother sharp blade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
RR SLOC = Yaqi DOC (Mellon)

RR SLOC.Cal's photo..png

This is Cal's good photo (thanks, Cal) showing negative blade exposure so clearly.

It's been a while since I used a razor (Feather AS-D2) that I know has negative blade exposure, and this SLOC seems considerably more to my liking. It's a lot less angle dependent, and easier to use.

The only blade I've used in it has been a Polsilver. I have a lot of them so it seemed reasonable to pick the blade. Plus, I've generally found the Polsilver to be both pretty smooth and pretty sharp. It may not be the best blade for me to be using, but there's no way to know without trying a bunch of blades. I'm rather disinclined to that sort of experiment right now.

I'm just enjoying the shave, and not trying to figure it out today.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I thought mine was tight and the blade was clamped until I took a picture which showed the background color (red) through the "space" between the cap and the baseplate. That space was only a sliver. I missed it with my naked eye but the camera (iPhone) caught it. Otherwise it would have been an interesting shave; perhaps a good shave, but I doubt it.

There should be an airspace between the cap and blade, but only inside of the caps bearing surfaces as shown by the white background around the base of the pins below.

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

There should not be any airspace between the raised edges of the cap and base plate. You're seeing an airspace where there shouldnt be Jim?

If you are, it could be because the handle threads are bottoming out before its completely closed. If thats the case, you might try another handle.

I thought I'd check out the angles... and found there weren't any:
upload_2018-6-5_16-55-34-png.888608

Negative exposure hmmm. Thanks for the pic Cal.

Top Bottom