What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Someone ripped open the package, opened the box and took the razor, then it was delivered to you?

I sold a book via eBay that had the same thing occur. The box was essentially shredded, the book must have fallen out in the mail. We sent it via USPS. They delivered the box anyway, with a note that basically said "Our bad, crap happens. Nothing we can do. Call us here if you want, but we won't do anything." Supposedly the mail machines did it... The buyer took a picture of the note when he asked for a refund. Next time, I'll do priority mail.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I sold a book via eBay that had the same thing occur. The box was essentially shredded, the book must have fallen out in the mail. We sent it via USPS. They delivered the box anyway, with a note that basically said "Our bad, crap happens. Nothing we can do. Call us here if you want, but we won't do anything." Supposedly the mail machines did it... The buyer took a picture of the note when he asked for a refund. Next time, I'll do priority mail.

Wow. This is a new one on me. I've never heard of such a thing happening. I generally send things with tracking and a signature required.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Someone ripped open the package, opened the box and took the razor, then it was delivered to you?

Maybe. I suspect it was ripped by mistake. It was a slightly padded envelope, but with a jagged rip, and empty. The second envelope (received today) was the same but not ripped open. The razor inside was in a small box. With a rip in the envelope the box could easily fall out.

In any event, I got a refund for the razor I didn't receive + I received the second razor I ordered.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Wow. This is a new one on me. I've never heard of such a thing happening. I generally send things with tracking and a signature required.

Oh there was tracking with it. No insurance purchased though. That was my mistake, as I thought all First Class packages got $50. That's only Priority Mail, like the Priority Mail Flat Rate shipping they offer. I don't do the signature required, as it takes a decent amount of effort for some people to be home when they deliver the packages.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
In any event, I got a refund for the razor I didn't receive + I received the second razor I ordered

Lets hope the first one that didnt arrive had the Mach 3 adapter on it and you got the correct one second time haha.

Oh there was tracking with it. No insurance purchased though. That was my mistake, as I thought all First Class packages got $50. That's only Priority Mail, like the Priority Mail Flat Rate shipping they offer. I don't do the signature required, as it takes a decent amount of effort for some people to be home when they deliver the packages.

I only ask for a signature so the mailman doesnt just toss it on the porch like a newspaper and leave it there for anyone to walk by and pick up. Like the 4 rifles I mailed to my nephew in Fort McMurray...

By a miracle, they were still sitting on his porch when he got home from work 6 hours later.

Lets hope the first one that didnt arrive had the Mach 3 adapter on it and you got the correct one second time haha.

I only ask for a signature so the mailman doesnt just toss it on the porch like a newspaper and leave it there for anyone to walk by and pick up. Like the 4 rifles I mailed to my nephew in Fort McMurray...

By a miracle, they were still sitting on his porch when he got home from work 6 hours later.

Shockingly, I've never had issues with my things going missing from my front porch. I have typically lived in fairly safe areas. At my last rental, if I was gone for a long time my neighbor would take any packages into his unit and then give them to me when I returned. I guess that's just the way the US Midwest is?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was very good.

6-7-18.640.Manchurian.SLOC.Barberia.JPG

I enjoyed everything about today's kit.

This premium Omega stuff is a very good soap. Perhaps not at the peak of my list, but, still, very good indeed. The copper beauty Manchurian is a lovely brush to use. Is it possible to have scrub better than this? Then there's the SLOC. Terrific shaving razor. You need one of these (and Yaqi has them, cheap; the Mellon).

I do not plan to use the SLOC everyday forever, but I can't imagine not using it a lot. This razor is very good. Too bad it has a Zamac head, but the metal takes nothing from the shave. I wonder how this razor compares to the original Shave King, and who designed this version, and how they managed to get it so right?

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Shockingly, I've never had issues with my things going missing from my front porch. I have typically lived in fairly safe areas. At my last rental, if I was gone for a long time my neighbor would take any packages into his unit and then give them to me when I returned. I guess that's just the way the US Midwest is?

They sure got their azz in gear when a handgun I mailed went missing LOL.

You need one of these (and Yaqi has them, cheap; the Mellon).

I've read where you've said this 2 or 3 times now Jim. I'm starting to feel as though its directed at me lol.

19uk6a.jpg

They sure got their azz in gear when a handgun I mailed went missing LOL.

I've read where you've said this 2 or 3 times now Jim. I'm starting to feel as though its directed at me lol.

View attachment 889072

I must be having delusions too. I felt like it was also directed at me.

Maybe it’s directed at everyone?

I have two DEs on the way. I decided that I needed to try out a couple vintage razors: Schick Krona and a Tech. When I used cartridge razors, Schicks were the best for me. Schick Injectors have worked very well for me. Figured if any DE was likely to work for me, it’s likely a Schick. I also stumbled on a decent looking Gillette Tech so I bid and won. Hopefully the post isn’t rusted like it looks in the pictures and that’s just plating showing through or some other type of gunk.

Now I wonder if I shouldn’t just order one of the SLOCs or Mellons or whatever. Naw, you guys get to keep trying them out. I’ll watch and learn lol.

@Chan Eil Whiskers: How is the efficiency with the SLOC? Especially on your neck and lower lip? I understand it’s smooth, but how does it compare to your injectors and Old types in that regard? Thanks for your insight into this razor!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It is directed at you!

upload_2018-6-7_12-33-9.jpeg

Good question: "How is the efficiency with the SLOC? Especially on your neck and lower lip? I understand it’s smooth, but how does it compare to your injectors and Old types in that regard? Thanks for your insight into this razor!"

upload_2018-6-7_12-34-20.jpeg

I'm getting smoother shaves with the SLOC (smoother meaning more towards BBS) than with the injectors or the Old Type.

Part of that is the razor is very smooth (smoother here meaning smooth feeling on my skin) which allows more buffing and more passes.

Thus, my lower lip in particular is smoother today than I know of it being with just about any shave I can remember with an injector or other DE or AC razor. My neck is coming along, but I think I need to learn to shave better with my non-dominant left hand to get the left side of my neck from a certain direction.

upload_2018-6-7_12-35-43.png

If there is for my beard a one pass or two pass razor (not a Mike's version of one pass with buffing and such), I am unfamiliar with it. I've not tried the R41 or the Charcoal Level 3 or anything like that.

I don't want to say that the razor is efficient in any absolute sense, and I'm not sure I even know what that means, so all I know is the results for me.

In that regard, the first pass seems to get most of the stuff, and the second pass a lot more. Those are mostly N-S and then S-N passes, just down and just up, except for my lower lip where I'm sometimes a bit jiggy on all passes.
Probably I should sometimes leave it alone after the second pass, and maybe I could.

I've used a few razors that did very well on the first and second passes, but they achieved that at the expense of really bad razor burn and irritation and such. This is better in that regard but...

I also should say that I'm noticing that it is easy to over do the number of passes with this SLOC razor and thus get closer to BBS but at the expense of razor burn.

Maybe this is wrong, but I'll say it anyway.

upload_2018-6-7_12-41-52.png

Maybe this razor isn't for everyone, but is it right for you? I don't know but it doesn't cost a lot to find out.

I've used only one blade, a Polsilver. Maybe a different blade would be better for me, or the right one for other guys, but the Polsilver is all I've tried.

upload_2018-6-7_12-43-35.jpeg

Switching subjects. I should get a Krona, too. Also, a really mint Tech is pretty easy to find if you are patient; I have at least two Techs which look brand new.

Hope some of that helps some.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe it’s directed at everyone?

Good thing we're all special then. :)

I also stumbled on a decent looking Gillette Tech so I bid and won. Hopefully the post isn’t rusted like it looks in the pictures and that’s just plating showing through or some other type of gunk.

I dont believe I've seen an unusable Tech. So e might be pretty cruddy looking, like the $5 I picked up last month, but they're all serviceable.

Expect a very smooth shave with a Tech. Avoid increasing pressure if you find it not cutting and focus on angle. Once you have the angle down, use more passes if needed instead of pressure.

If you end up liking a Tech, you'll love an Old Type. ;)

Good thing we're all special then. :)

I dont believe I've seen an unusable Tech. So e might be pretty cruddy looking, like the $5 I picked up last month, but they're all serviceable.

Expect a very smooth shave with a Tech. Avoid increasing pressure if you find it not cutting and focus on angle. Once you have the angle down, use more passes if needed instead of pressure.

If you end up liking a Tech, you'll love an Old Type. ;)
I figured the Tech would be way safer than the Old type. I still involuntarily wince at the mere memory of the Schone.

It is directed at you!

View attachment 889080

Good question: "How is the efficiency with the SLOC? Especially on your neck and lower lip? I understand it’s smooth, but how does it compare to your injectors and Old types in that regard? Thanks for your insight into this razor!"

View attachment 889081

I'm getting smoother shaves with the SLOC (smoother meaning more towards BBS) than with the injectors or the Old Type.

Part of that is the razor is very smooth (smoother here meaning smooth feeling on my skin) which allows more buffing and more passes.

Thus, my lower lip in particular is smoother today than I know of it being with just about any shave I can remember with an injector or other DE or AC razor. My neck is coming along, but I think I need to learn to shave better with my non-dominant left hand to get the left side of my neck from a certain direction.

View attachment 889082

If there is for my beard a one pass or two pass razor (not a Mike's version of one pass with buffing and such), I am unfamiliar with it. I've not tried the R41 or the Charcoal Level 3 or anything like that.

I don't want to say that the razor is efficient in any absolute sense, and I'm not sure I even know what that means, so all I know is the results for me.

In that regard, the first pass seems to get most of the stuff, and the second pass a lot more. Those are mostly N-S and then S-N passes, just down and just up, except for my lower lip where I'm sometimes a bit jiggy on all passes.
Probably I should sometimes leave it alone after the second pass, and maybe I could.

I've used a few razors that did very well on the first and second passes, but they achieved that at the expense of really bad razor burn and irritation and such. This is better in that regard but...

I also should say that I'm noticing that it is easy to over do the number of passes with this SLOC razor and thus get closer to BBS but at the expense of razor burn.

Maybe this is wrong, but I'll say it anyway.

View attachment 889084

Maybe this razor isn't for everyone, but is it right for you? I don't know but it doesn't cost a lot to find out.

I've used only one blade, a Polsilver. Maybe a different blade would be better for me, or the right one for other guys, but the Polsilver is all I've tried.

View attachment 889085

Switching subjects. I should get a Krona, too. Also, a really mint Tech is pretty easy to find if you are patient; I have at least two Techs which look brand new.

Hope some of that helps some.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Krona, interestingly enough, may clamp the blade more rigidly than a SuperSpeed. They're both TTO, but my memory of my Baili TTO was that there was a little space between the end of the baseplate and the doors. Not the case with the Krona. We will see if it really is a rigid design soon enough. It arrived today, so it'll get a bath soon then probably a maiden voyage sometime next week.

I greatly appreciate your insight on the SLOC/Mellon, Jim. I'm not yet to the point that I'll buy it, but you're getting me closer. I have those other DEs to play around with first lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I suspect that Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers is a covert subliminal plant from the C.E.C. :a2:

I am the center of that universe.

I figured the Tech would be way safer than the Old type.

I've not used a Tech. The Old Type razor's I've used, all four of them, are easy to shave with, and do not seem prone to biting. Why anyone thinks of them as aggressive is beyond me.

Two of my Old Type razors are better and smoother shavers than the other two, and I think one of mine is the best and smoothest of the group, but all are pretty smooth, and none are aggressive. The Old Type is extremely rigid in how it clamps the blade. There is not a huge amount of visible blade. There is almost no gap. There is almost no guard span. I find it easy and effective to shave at both shallow and steep angles.

My guess is the Old Type might be easier to use than the Tech, at least for an experienced shaver which you certainly are, Joel. Obviously, not all Old Type razors are the same, so I'm talking about a good, undamaged version. I've also read a post recently sort of implying they're easy to fix if you know how (not that I do).

I can think of three reasons Gillette abandoned the Old Type design.
  1. The patent ran out.
  2. The razor was easily damaged when dropped.
  3. Marketing.
Only one of those should have been an issue, according to how a shaver should see things, and it could have been fixed.

Introducing the Gillette New Old Type: The baseplate is stainless steel.

My best shaving Old Type head was purchased as a head without a handle, on eBay, as a replacement part. It was funky looking but had very straight teeth. That's what you're looking for in an Old Type head.

The SLOC has none of those issues. You just buy a new one, cheap, from Italian Barber or Yaqi (the Mellon).

I'm interested in hearing about the Schick Krona's shave, etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I can take your word for that. One thing I can judge myself is what a beautiful razor it is -really intriguing. Your photographs have gotten really good, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you.
proxy.php

It's amazing how easy it is with a cheap light box and iPhone. The light box makes a huge difference. I paid too much for mine, link, but at least it came with a Y piece making it easy to plug both lights into the USB adaptor which plugs into my AC power strip. My light box is on a dresser next to my TV, so I can make pictures any time I feel like it. Thus I "practice" a lot. Fun it is for me.

Some light boxes are too small I think, but most are very crummy in their construction unless they cost far more than I'd pay. Mine does well as long as I keep it set up on the dresser all the time; if I take it down and store it, it loses its shape and the sides become too much more concave. Left alone and set up the sides are only slightly concave. Like I said, these are cheap devices. Useful, but cheap.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Friday shave was good.

OldType.Fan.FormulaT.640.6-8-18.JPG

This is the favorite of my four 1921 or later Old Type Razors. I think it might be at least as smooth as my SLOC. Make no mistake, this is an excellent razor, and one I will continue to use because it is easy to get a good enough shave and it is smooth and mild feeling. I like it.

I think the SLOC is maybe a better shaver. It is a very close contest though.

BOSC.2.FurtherStudiesRequred.jpg

Good thing I'm up for the work.

Nice kit today.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thanks Jim.

If you want to know truly great your shaves are, use a Graham Field. You'll never question your worst shave again! lol.
Mike, Have you seen this plastic, or bakelite, made by De Royal? I found it for $3.95 when searching medical sites for Graham Field blades. It's advertised as a non-sterile DE. That means it unscrews to change blades. It is a DE so the SE blade in the photo is not correct. I may have to order one.
img-resize.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mike, Have you seen this plastic, or bakelite, made by De Royal? I found it for $3.95 when searching medical sites for Graham Field blades. It's advertised as a non-sterile DE. That means it unscrews to change blades. It is a DE so the SE blade in the photo is not correct. I may have to order one.
View attachment 889290

Rave, I can't find this razor searching Google. Not that I tried very hard.

Seems to me you should buy one and use it with a G-F blade.

BOSC.2.Sacrificies For Science.jpg

I would send you a blade, but I had two, and used one. The other is in Joel's capable hands. Maybe he should buy this razor and use it with his G-F. However, I think the G-F will also be terrific in his new Krona.

As everyone knows, the G-F is a great shaver in just about any razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom